Approved at Interview

eddie_d

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,

Had the interview yesterday afternoonn. It was scheduled for 1:00pm. We got there at about 12:40 and on the nose at 1:00 were called in. The officer was a man in his 50s.

Swore us both in, asked us to sit down. Then he started looking over the application and asked me a couple of questions like my mother's name, my birthdate, where I was born, my address and things like that. He then asked my wife a few similar questions like date and place of birth and her father's name. He asked for some proof that we lived together and we had a bunch of utility bills and bank statements with both names on them that I gave to him (and he kept). I brought about 4 times more than what I needed, but better safe than sorry right?

He briefly mentioned the income requirements for sponsorship then said to my wife "I have a feeling nobody will need to support him financially" to which she said "good because I don't intend to" and we all laughed. Then he went through the "Are you a communist", "Have you ever been deported" questions and that was about it.

The rest of the 10-15 minutes were spent chatting about life in general. Turns out his daughter got married the day before us. He said that even before we showed up he knew he'd approve the case. He's been doing this for many many years and can usually spot a real vs a fake marriage a mile away just based on the documents submitted. So judging on that I'd advise everyone who is indeed legitimate not to be overly worried about it.

Then he told me as of now I am a permanent resident and I should get the green card within 2 weeks. I had a meeting at 3:00 so I ran back to the office and didn't get home until 9:00 last night since I was slammed with work. No celebration or anything. I've been living in the US for almost 9 years so I dunno, it's like I'm permanent already, this just made it official. Good to be done with though.

This message board was very helpful through the process and answered many questions along the way. I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in.

sarrebal said:
Congratulations!
My interview was very similar.

Did you get your passport stamped?

Thanks.
No passport stamp. He said they only did that back in the days when it took 6 months to get the GC sent. I'm not going out of country any time soon so I can wait 2 weeks.