Approved after interview

showmetheGC

Registered Users (C)
Just wanted to post this update since this forum has been so helpful to me during the long wait to GC and i thought i should return the favour.

RD:Sep 01
ND:Oct 01
FP:Jan 02
My Approval: Oct 02
My wife's case got transferred to Seattle's local INS office in Dec 02

We got interview call in April and was scheduled for May 03
The fingerprints had expired for 2 weeks (!!) on the day of interview.
The officer was very nice and was apologetic about this. He said that the 'name check' had gone through (this is the security clearance, i heard from my lawyer who accompanied us to the interview that this can take upto 3 months if you have a common name)
Regardless of the fingerprint messup, the officer said that he wanted to finish the interview.
He asked us take the oath and asked if we got married just before filing AOS and i said it was a month before filing. He asked for documents that prove cohabitation. We gave him:
Lease agreement, proof of medical, dental insurance coverage from my company, joint bank account statements, joint ownership of car, joint income tax filings.
He didn't care about photgraphs of marriage.
He took all the docs just throwing cursory glances on them, didn't ask for originals. He asked if i got my GC and i showed him my card.
He just put the docs in a file and took my wife's fingerprints.
He asked us to go the ASC office for fingerprints (he called them while we sat there and took an appointment for us, that kind of courtesy from INS was surprising)
He asked my lawyer to come back after 2 days and get the passport stamped. We gave the passport to our lawyer and went to the ASC office the same afternoon and got the fingerprinting done. 2 days later, we got the passport with the I-551 stamp.

In the end, it was much easier than i expected. I was told that my wife's card could come in as early as 3 weeks time!

Feel free to ask any questions you guys might have.

Hi showmetheGC

Did they ask you any documents in the interview letter in specific to prove you are together.
What else did INS ask you to bring in for the interview.

Thanks

documents

The letter asked us to bring all immigration related documents that you have (includes EAD, AP, recepit for 485 etc), though we weren't asked to show any of that during the interview.
The letter also asked us to bring documents that proves that we're living together (i don't remember the exact wording but something to that effect).

Your attorney should be able to give you a comprehensive list. I have mentioned the documents that we took in my original post.