Applying while out of the country.

Sayam

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

I have a simple question.

Both me and my wife are eligible to apply for citizenship now. I have prepared our applications.

But she is currently travelling overseas. Can I submit her application while she is out of the country?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sayam

Who is going to sign the documents?

She needs to be here and sign the documents. You cant sign on her behalf. Once that done she can move out. Make sure that she come back for FP, interview etc. Also keep in mind she don't loose the continueous residency status.

I would be careful with the use of "move out". By definition, vacation and traveling for a short time does not change the permanent address, and from this point of view, it is OK to mail the application from Tijuana Mexico or Nassau or any vacation place to the Service Center. (One should remember to be back from vacation for fingerprints and the remainder of the Naturalization process.)

Moving out (i.e. moving the permanent address to overseas) is another story as it rightfully may lead to believe that the applicant has relinquished permanent residence in the United States.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

There is a little bit of a downside in mailing the application when being out of the country. According to the questions on the N-400 form, the applicant must list the time out of the contry. The most recent entry would logically look like:
12/24/2007 - present time: Kingston, Jamaica
(if you are vacationing in Jamaica).

Now let us suppose that the application takes 12-18 months to be processed. The officer analyzing the information on the N-400 may then wonder whether the applicant has been out of the country for the last 12-18 months...