Applying US passport for minor children

Kevin1970

Registered Users (C)
Hi !

I am a US Citizen and recently went to a nearby library to apply for the US passports for my minor children who are currently GC holders. Heard from the officer that I need to submit the ORIGINALS (not the photo copies) of the following documents to be sent to the passport processing center, which looks odd.

1. Original Birth Certificates of my children
2. Original Marriage Certificate

It would be highly appreciated if anybody could highlight from his/her experience.

Thanks in advance

Kevin1970

This is the first time I am hearing about sending the Originals as normally it would be photocopies.

If the originals are tampered or lost, would the library / passport processing center take the responsibility ?

One thing. If your wife has also naturalized you can send your wife's naturalization certificate and your child's green card and birth certificate (originals) and no need of marriage certificate. I think that's the case. At least that was the case when I applied for my child's passport more than a year ago. Anyway, one way or another you also need to add the naturalization certificate to the list of original documents you need to send.

This is the first time I am hearing about sending the Originals as normally it would be photocopies.

If the originals are tampered or lost, would the library / passport processing center take the responsibility ?

Nope. Sometimes they lose certificates of naturalization which are more expensive and time consuming to replace and they take no responsibility whatsoever. They just don't care, unfortunately.

Passport for Minor

My kid is a U.S National. I have to submitted the origional birth certificate. It came back with the Passport. If you have any question please let me know.

Yes, originals are required & if they are lost, no-one is going to accept responsibility. That's just the way it is.
Just so you know, the passport & the documents are returned separately - the documents a re normally a day or two behind the passport.