Applying for Visa to Europe for GC holder

Albert Einstien

Registered Users (C)
I am trying to apply for a visit visa to France this Christmas.
I need some input from people who have done this before.
I have an indian pp w/ GC. The purpose of the visit is pleasure/visiting relatives.
Are there any issues that I need to look out for?
Will the French Consulate issue the visa w/o much hassle?
Specifically, I have the following questions
1. They ask for an invitation letter from your relatives/friends.Do they just need a print out of a letter from them "formally inviting me"?
2. They are asking for proof of insurance/medical coverage while in france. Can I just send them a copy of my card and policy?
3. They are asking for sufficient funds. Can I just send them a copy of the my bank statements and 401k statements?
4. They are asking for a trip itenary while applying and an actual ticket to pick the visa up. I am trying to book this online. Do I just make a print out and not make the purchase and when the visa is ready, purchase the ticket and take it there? Or do I just have to go thru a travel agent?

Thanks

it works like a breeze

I went to france, Belgium and Holland with just an ADIT stamp on my passport ( and off cource a EU visa) in Mar 03.
France is a part of the EU and they honour/give the schengen visa.

But you are required to apply at the country that's ur main destination.

The france embassy in Sanfransisco was very efficient. http://www.consulfrance-sanfrancisco.org/ . I sent all the documents they listed on their website by next dey FedEx on Monday afternoon and I got my passport back on Thrusday Morning ( with the visa). I entered EU from amsterdam and the immigration official didn't care My visa was from france. There is no passport control within EU conutries.

The immigration people at the Airport didn;t even looked at the ADIT stamp. The only place ADIT stamp mattered was while barding a place back to US.

I have an indian passport.

Specific answers

1. They ask for an invitation letter from your relatives/friends.Do they just need a print out of a letter from them "formally inviting me"?
---- I was a tourist with No invitation from anyone. Invitations might actually make it more complex cause then You might need some sort of support documents from ur friends in france.
I just said i was a tourist on my own in france.

2. They are asking for proof of insurance/medical coverage while in france. Can I just send them a copy of my card and policy?
------ A copy of you medical card and a policy documentsis enough.
If you are really paranoid about getting sick in france, get travel insurance. ( note this is for ur own satisfaction, embassy won;t care. I didn;t get any additional insurance).

3. They are asking for sufficient funds. Can I just send them a copy of the my bank statements and 401k statements?
----- NO 401k. send them bank statements and copies of your credit card bills. They need to know u can pay your way in france.Don;t send 401k docs unless u want them to think u are RETIRING In france.

4. They are asking for a trip itenary while applying and an actual ticket to pick the visa up. I am trying to book this online. Do I just make a print out and not make the purchase and when the visa is ready, purchase the ticket and take it there? Or do I just have to go thru a travel agent?

---- THIS IS the WORST PART. I argued with counsel people over this. For INDIAN citizen visa is almost guarenteed SO they REQUIRE A COPY of the PURCHACED TICKET AND confirmation of places where u will stay.

I was back packing so I did'nt know where i would stay so I reserved 3 weeks at a back packers hostel (for $1.50 reservation charge, backpakcers hostels actually charge u only when u show up).

Enquiry

Could you please let us know the website for the back packers hostel which you used to book. Thanks for your help in advance.