Applying for US passport for 13yr old child

Ravi Mecheril

Registered Users (C)
Dear members,
My husband is a naturalized US citizen and Iam a permanent resident.We applied for a US passport for my son who is a permanent resident in the local postoffice.My understanding was that they will take the original PR card of my son along with the application.The only documents they took are
1.Naturalisation certificate of my husband
2.Original birth certificate of my son.
Iam in doubt whether the officer in the passport office made a mistake.She didn't seem too familiar with the process.
PLZ reply if u have got any experience regarding this type of application.We have applied for expediete processing as we have travel plans in june.So Iam worried whether there will be a delay if we don't send the PR card.
Thanks in advance

one more clarification MOST URGENT

In the evening the lady from the passport office called and told us that we should submit both his PR and Indian passport along with the application as they had to get proof that he entered US lawfully.I had not read anywhere that foreign passport should be submitted along with passport application.Now we r really worried as we don't have any documents to prove his identitiy ,with us now.His birth certificate is also submitted.They didn't give any acknowledgement as proof that they have taken all this from us.

They take the originals for passports (Either birth certificates or naturalization certificates) I have not heard a case where they were not returned. They do not give you any receipt.

Keep in mind, they mail passport and supporting documents back separately so you may get passport but it may take 2-3 extra days to get the supporting documents.

As far as if they should have taken Indian passport or not, I am sorry, I do not know. Now a days, they process passports in 7-10 days so you should know by weekend plus by next week you should have all documents.

There is a 800 no for passport related quesitons. (That number is always busy so you have to wait long to get somebody but that is open till midnight I think) You can call that number and ask them what to do in such cases.

Do let us know once everything is settled. Your posting after you get it all back will help future passport applicants :)

thank u

Thanku N400at for the reply.I had not read in any foum that we will have to submit Indian passport.So we have not even taken the copy of the passport.that is what worries us.Hope everything works out OK.

wonderful news

We got the US passport in 10 business days by expediete process.we got all the documents back along with US passport.they have send back even the green card.May be they have cancelled it.i don't know.
DOA:04-04-2008
DOR passport:04-18-2008

now for my next question.thanks in advance
How long will it take to get a visting visa to India if we apply by mail.In the website it says five business days.Any inputwill be greatly appreciated.we r planning to apply in SFO consulate

Good to know that you got your GC back. Not sure what you mean by they may have cancelled it. Indian consulate cancelled GC? That is not issued by them so they can not cancel it. Indian passport may be cancelled and there will be a stamp on the first page indicating so.

About visa, I think visa service was oursourced and I have also heard 4-5 business days to get the visa. Not sure if you can go to consulate to get visa (unless emergency which you need to prove)

Not indian consulate

Dear N400At
I meant US passport centre ,not Indian consulate.Usually they will not send back Green card along with US passport.But somehow they did it.Ie why i mentioned that they may be cancelling the Green card.
I have got one more doubt.Who will sign in the third page of US passport to make it valid in the case of minor.It iswritten that we should sign our full name