Applying for TN Visas

canadian9654

Hi,

I have searched the forums and have found a general consent to apply for TN only few days before you actually begin the job in US. However, my concern is that if I leave my current job and apply for TN. God forbid, but if they turn down my TN then I would be without my current job as well as the new job. I wish to apply 2 weeks in advance, meaning. I would go the border 2 weeks prior and apply for the TN & TD with my family and then return back the same day after the visas are approved and give my official 2 weeks notice to my current employer. And then would go to US on TN for the new job.

I think this is the way most people would do but I didn't get that impression from the forums here. Please advise.

Consider this.

What you are saying obviously makes perfect sense. But what I understand a lot of people are doing is going to the border, getting their TN,crossing that day, and then returning say later that day or the next.

There's nothing saying you can't go back to get your things once the TN is granted.

IT makes a lot of sense, however many borders (particularly in the west) will not grant TN unless and until you are actually heading for work.

So, to overcome this, make an arrangement to teleconference (just inside the US border) with your new sponsor the same day you plan to get TN. Then you can quite honestly say that you are reporting for work that day.

Then return home to pack, quit, etc

BTW, nowhere in US or Cdn Labour law is any notice by the employee mandatory.

They ask, just like they ask if you have anything to declare.

Also, they may notice how much/little stuff you have with you.

We don't encourage lying here.

Times have changed since we were on TN.

Hey nelsona, thank you for your replies. I was wondering if I could go to the border for TN visas on 4th July (tomorrow). I am not sure if it would work out as its US Independence day but would they be open for issuing TNs?

That is the worst day of the year to go. I crossed through Pearson Airport on July 4, 2004 and the guy just grilled me. I had a pounding headache when I made it through. There were some people behind me who were U.S. Citizens and he grilled them just as much.

We figured that if anything wrong was going to happen by outside people, they might try and do it on July 4th - hence the heightened security.

Absolutely do not go on July 4th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I went on 7th July and got my TN approved. Actually, don't know why but they didn't ask me any questions. It was like
1. What you are applying for?
2. What does the company do?
3. What do you do?

And then was asked to wait. After that got called back again to just pay the fees!! Hmm.. May be because they were too busy (had to wait 2 hours before I was called for 1st time), they didn't grilled me as much. Not that I am complaining but something to note. Anyways, thank you so much for your support guys.

I'm quite sure the reason is that you breezed through, is that your attention to this board's constant reminders to prepare a perfect TN package paid off, and your paperwork spoke for itself.

Great to hear that. Nothing like going on a busy day - best time you can go because all they want to do is get you through.

Down here they're used to dealing will all of these convoluted stories of how the mother has no ID. the baby has a U.S. birth certificate, nobody speaks speaks any English and none of the stories make any sense. Your TN was probably a breath of fresh air.

If you'd like grilling - let us know as we can do that too for you.......:)