Applying for TN after Family based GC application is filed.

thecertguru

Registered Users (C)
My brother-in-law who is a US Citizen has suggested that he should file the Family based Green Card sponsorship application for us. Since the whole process take over 10 years, I would rather go TN to GC route. So my question is, after filing the Family based GC application, will I still be eligible to get TN status? Do I need to declare in the TN application or the interview at the border that I have been sponsored for GC? If I am eligible for TN, can I start TN to GC process in parallel to the Family based sponsorship.

Secondly, not related to TN, after Family based sponsor application, can I visit US for business or pleasure?

Thanks in advance.

Although the regs are not as clear for filing an I-130 as they are for I-140, one can assume that, as with Employment-based GC's, the filing of I-485 is the step which ends the possibility of zTN.

Since you won't be allowed to file I-485 for many, many, years, you should have no problem.

Visiting is the same: you have not filed I-485 yet, so are safe.

First of all thank you very much nelsona. Among all the crisis in the world I see light at the end of the tunnel because of selfless folks like you who help others without any expectation of payback. I would also like to thank other folks on this forum like CuriousGeorge, Simd, TheRealCanadian and others. I wish you all the best.