• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Applying for SSN

Bahar

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone help me and tell me what is the procedure of applying for SNN after entering to USA? Should we go to specific office or just fillling the related item in our forms during intrview is enough and we should wait for it to be mailed to mentioned address.

Bahar said:
Can anyone help me and tell me what is the procedure of applying for SNN after entering to USA? Should we go to specific office or just fillling the related item in our forms during intrview is enough and we should wait for it to be mailed to mentioned address.

Bahar,

As far as I know, when you arrive US, you should apply for Social Security #. When you move to US, just go to the nearest Social Sec. Department. It shouldn't be too complicated. You might have to fill out few forms that they hand you there to request a #.

yea Ipek 79 is right ......as soon as you arrive to the States go to the nearest SS office and fill certain form them show them your passport and visa.....

I have entered US on H1B visa at 2nd September 2006. Today 5th September and I was in Social Security office to apply for SSN.

Officer said that, it is "too early" to apply SSN and my data are not in main system because of new entering into the USA. She let me know that I need to apply 2 weeeks later.

Any idea?

BertoltBrecht said:
I have entered US on H1B visa at 2nd September 2006. Today 5th September and I was in Social Security office to apply for SSN.

Officer said that, it is "too early" to apply SSN and my data are not in main system because of new entering into the USA. She let me know that I need to apply 2 weeeks later.

Any idea?

I am not familiar how H1B visas are handled but I have heard people coming across the same issue that you have.. I don't think you should worry about it, it might take a while. However, If you have an urgency, you can make an appointment with USCIS through infopass and let them know your issue. They might be able to give you a better estimate how soon they would notify Social Security Dept. about your status.

Any idea?

Hi, could we enter USA for 2-3 days only and return to our country. We'll do the SSN later on the next trip to USA.

I went to the local Social Security Office on my 3rd day here and they said that they couldn't forward the application until I've been in the country for 10days. However, they kept my application and I didn't have to go back there.
If you said on your forms that you want to apply for a SSN, I think in your case, as you don't need your number right away, I'd just trust that maybe it works in your case that everything happens automatically as it's supposed to work.