Applying for SSN after arival in USA

kuchchbhee

Registered Users (C)
I took my parents to Social Security office to apply for SSN number. I was told by officer that there is a possibility that the immigration officials at airport might have initiated the request for that. Hence, i was asked to come back in 3 weeks if i have not received anything in the mail.

Just wanted to put this out here to see if anyone had similar experience. I dont have any urgency for SSN but I understand it is part of process that i would like to get completed.

There is a mechanism to request a SSN be issued to a new immigrant within the immigrant visa process.

SEE: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/eae_info_sheet.html

An excerpt from above link:

Request a Social Security number card as part of your Department of State immigrant visa application.

The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will share your information with us.

List your correct address and zip code. We will mail your card to the address you give.

I took my parents to Social Security office to apply for SSN number. I was told by officer that there is a possibility that the immigration officials at airport might have initiated the request for that. Hence, i was asked to come back in 3 weeks if i have not received anything in the mail.

Just wanted to put this out here to see if anyone had similar experience. I dont have any urgency for SSN but I understand it is part of process that i would like to get completed.

They don't request one for you, you do!

On the form DS-230 there is a box where you ( IV Applicant ) check the box if you want one issued or not, if you have a copy of the DS-230 in your records then check and see what box you have had checked. If you checked " NO" on it then take that copy or tell the SS office you didn't request one rather than waiting around for a month.

They don't request one for you, you do!

On the form DS-230 there is a box where you ( IV Applicant ) check the box if you want one issued or not, ...

kuchchbhee's parents just immigrated to the US; so they are the ones who filled out DS-230 to apply for immigrant visas.

The Immigration officials would have initiated the SSN request (or not initiated it) based on what your parents wrote on form DS-230 question 43, which they submitted to the consulate. Ask them if they remember, or if they have a copy of the form after they filled it out.

thanks to all for responding

that is correct.... DS230 Part II has the question which i am pretty sure i would have check marked. I did not keep any records... so i will wait it out.

A relative of mine also just arrived, she remembered checking the box everyone is talking about but she still went to SS offices and she got hers in a week. I suppose it doesnt hurt to try, instead of sitting around waiting, especially if you are unsure if you checked it or not! She was sure she checked it, but she went anyway!

A relative of mine also just arrived, she remembered checking the box everyone is talking about but she still went to SS offices and she got hers in a week.

Did she explain that an SSN was already requested as part of the immigration process, or did she just apply for it fresh as if no SSN was requested before for her?

I suppose it doesnt hurt to try, instead of sitting around waiting, especially if you are unsure if you checked it or not! She was sure she checked it, but she went anyway!
It can hurt to apply for a new SSN when one SSN request is already in process. That can create delays while they try to sort out the duplicate requests. One should explain the situation to the worker at the SS office before handing them a new application.

just to close the loop... my parents arrived LAX on Dec 15th... received SS Cards before Christmas. They received Green Cards (plastic) on Jan 3rd. Smoooth...

(ok, almost smooth, sent mom's card to current address and dad's card at old address... i think INS they just wanted to amuse me)