Applying for passport in a different country

karankhiani

Registered Users (C)
Hi, My wifes N-400 is currently in process. Once if she clears her interview, oath ceremony and receives her naturalization certificate, Will it be possible to apply for her US passport overseas at a US consulate rather than here in the US.

I know its only the matter of a few weeks to obtain in the passport in the US but i have to travel with her for some urgent work in our home country.

Please advise...

One can get a US passport within 1 day if you make an appointment at a passport agency and provide proof of urgent travel.

Hi, My wifes N-400 is currently in process. Once if she clears her interview, oath ceremony and receives her naturalization certificate, Will it be possible to apply for her US passport overseas at a US consulate rather than here in the US.

I know its only the matter of a few weeks to obtain in the passport in the US but i have to travel with her for some urgent work in our home country.

Please advise...

Get a same-day passport at a passport agency. By law, a US citizen needs to leave the US with a US passport. See the following information:

US passport requirements (22 CFR § 53)
Section 215(b) of the INA [8 USC § 1185(b)] requires, in general, that any US citizen who is either leaving or entering the US must be in possession of a valid US passport. This requirement applies even in the case of a dual citizen travelling between the US and his other country of citizenship.

§ 1185. TRAVEL CONTROL OF CITIZENS AND ALIENS
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/1185.html

Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.