Applying for passport, but couple of questions

fisherman

Registered Users (C)
Just recently got my citizenship and now going to apply for passport. Have passport application, but couple of questions.

What is the exact procedure for applying for passport. I think I have to go to local agent (in post office) near me and hand them the application. Do they want a copy of citizenship certificate, or do they want the original document, and do I have to send in my certificate along with my application?

The reason I am asking is that on my citizenship certificate, it said that I am married (but we been separated for long time). And on the passport application it ask about marital status, date of marriage and wife's name and birthday.

Can I not put that information on application and just say single on application? Or just say married on the passport application and don't give out any other information about the marriage such as date of marriage or wife's name and birthday?

Thanks for all your help guys

They need to take and send in the original document.

You should fill out forms truthfully based on the current facts. If you are still legally married, say married. If you are divorced, say divorced. This has nothing to do with what it says on the Certificate of Naturalization, but rather with what the situation is right now. Marital status does not appear on the passport itself.

I would suggest making a copy of your Naturalization certificate before turning it in for your passport app. They will mail it separately back to you once you get your passport. Some people got the passport first and then the Naturalization Cert. Good luck.

I also have some questions about applying for the Passport. Because I had my name changed, I had to update my new name with SS and DMV offices. SS office said It has to check with Homeland Security before issue new SS card, taking about 4 weeks. DMV issued a temporary DL and I believe it also takes about 4 weeks to have them sent me new DL. So now, I want to apply for a passport, the things is that I dont have any picture ID with my new name on that and my name on SS system still in processing time. My question is that can I still apply for the passport and using my citizenship cert as the ID and just put my SS on the application even it hasn't been updated with my new name on the system ?

Thanks for your help

Thanks newacct and rock8man for info. Will definitely will take copy of certificate before handing it over to the agent.

Wish I could leave my wife's information off my passport application, but I guess have to contact her and get some personal information from her. But really don't want to.