imin

Registered Users (C)
Hi!
1) Is it possible?
2) What is good or bad about it?
3) Any personal experiences to share?

Thanks.

Can someone please comment on this.

I also have a similar situation. I want to go to India as soon as I get my US passport. I have two options:

1. Apply for OCI in US and also get a visitor visa to india. when OCI is ready i can come back and send my US Passport for OIC booklet and U-visa stamp.

2. Just get India visitor visa and apply for OCI in India.

Which one would be better? I will not have any problems applying in US since I will be traveling back to US anyway within 2-3 months.

Thanks.

Bump

Looking for answer too...anybody has any input...after you apply for OCI and have to travel to India for any reason on visitor visa, can you come back and pickup the OCI (or) do you have to apply again (or) mention your india travel when you pickup?

Can someone please comment on this.

I also have a similar situation. I want to go to India as soon as I get my US passport. I have two options:

1. Apply for OCI in US and also get a visitor visa to india. when OCI is ready i can come back and send my US Passport for OIC booklet and U-visa stamp.

2. Just get India visitor visa and apply for OCI in India.

Which one would be better? I will not have any problems applying in US since I will be traveling back to US anyway within 2-3 months.

Thanks.

Bump

Looking for answer too...anybody has any input...after you apply for OCI and have to travel to India for any reason on visitor visa, can you come back and pickup the OCI (or) do you have to apply again (or) mention your india travel when you pickup?

Yes, you can claim your OCI docs after your return - and no need to apply again or make any mention of India trip.

Again!!!

Hello!
Can somebody answer questions that i asked at the beginning of this thread?
Thanks so much.

Hi!
1) Is it possible?
2) What is good or bad about it?
3) Any personal experiences to share?

Thanks.

1. Yes. See #11 in http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf
2. I don't think there is any thing good or bad per se, but make sure you are in India long enough to complete the process. I don't think you can apply in India and then expect to collect your OCI booklet/U-visa from a consulate/embassy in the US.
3. Haven't seen any posters relating experiences of applying in India in quite some time.

OCi

Hi
You can apply for OCI in India.
Good or bad idea. dealing with Government agency in India or US is same. make sure you have good enough time that you will stay in India if they have any request for evidences.