Applying for N-400 from abroad

tsgtsg

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone please let me know if we can mail the N-400 application from abroad? I have been out of the country for the last 4.5 months and intend to return next month. I got my green card on July 24, 2004. So I think I am eligible to apply for citizen on April 25, 2009 (90 days before 5 years). I did not have any other long trips than this in the last 10 years of my stay in the US. I had to come here for family reasons. Can I mail the application with expected date of return in the application form? Will applying from abroad cause additional scrutiny?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you I would definitely wait until next month when I'm back.
What is that going to change? What is the rush to apply for citizenship?

Can anyone please let me know if we can mail the N-400 application from abroad? I have been out of the country for the last 4.5 months and intend to return next month. I got my green card on July 24, 2004. So I think I am eligible to apply for citizen on April 25, 2009 (90 days before 5 years). I did not have any other long trips than this in the last 10 years of my stay in the US. I had to come here for family reasons. Can I mail the application with expected date of return in the application form? Will applying from abroad cause additional scrutiny?

Thanks in advance!
Applying outside the US during such a long trip should be avoided as it may raise questions about your intent to retain district residency requirement. They might accept it if you apply outside, but the risk is not worth the benefit of earlier processing.