Applying for Kids' OCI while they are in India

aboutocrack

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Does MHA permit applying for OCI for kids while they are in India with their grannies?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

That all depends on If the parents have the O.C.I already in their hands or not.

Even if the parents did NOT have the O.C.I in their hands, and parents want to apply as a family, in other words they want to apply for their children as well as parents at the same time, then they may do so without any trouble.

There is no law that state that children have to be here in the states.

But, if the children are in India, and they are able to sign ( signature ) their O.C.I applications, then how do parents coordinate the signature part of the applications, that is something parents need to think about before applying for the O.C.I.

also, the passport size pictures that are supposed to be affixed on the O.C.I applications, how do parents coordinate this with their children? I guess children could go to the nearest photo shooting place and get their passport size photos and mail them back to states, and they can also manage the whole thing with the signatures like that too, where children might be able to sign their respective O.C.I application and send them back to states as well.

I guess the best advise is to hire an immigration lawyer resides in States and knows Indian Laws inside out, and also knows the Immigration laws here in the states, and has the license to practice in the region you reside in.

good luck.

Please post back as to what you decided to do, and what were their results.

That all depends on If the parents have the O.C.I already in their hands or not.

Even if the parents did NOT have the O.C.I in their hands, and parents want to apply as a family, in other words they want to apply for their children as well as parents at the same time, then they may do so without any trouble.

There is no law that state that children have to be here in the states.

But, if the children are in India, and they are able to sign ( signature ) their O.C.I applications, then how do parents coordinate the signature part of the applications, that is something parents need to think about before applying for the O.C.I.

also, the passport size pictures that are supposed to be affixed on the O.C.I applications, how do parents coordinate this with their children? I guess children could go to the nearest photo shooting place and get their passport size photos and mail them back to states, and they can also manage the whole thing with the signatures like that too, where children might be able to sign their respective O.C.I application and send them back to states as well.

I guess the best advise is to hire an immigration lawyer resides in States and knows Indian Laws inside out, and also knows the Immigration laws here in the states, and has the license to practice in the region you reside in.

good luck.

Please post back as to what you decided to do, and what were their results.

Pretty weird advice requiring an immigration lawyer to file OCI. The question is simple and has nothing to do with photos and life.
To the original poster ... If your kids are eligible for OCI, you can file from either India or US.
If filing from US, there is no requirement that kids be in US. In recent past they wanted to hold your passports while the OCI was processed, but that restriction was recently removed.
There have been stories of people taking an entry visa and traveling when their OCI was not approved in time for travel (this was before the last 2 sets of rules).
Only remember they will allow you to pick up the OCI from the same location you applied to, so do not apply in India and then expect New York to stamp them, or vice versa.

Pretty weird advice requiring an immigration lawyer to file OCI. The question is simple and has nothing to do with photos and life.
To the original poster ... If your kids are eligible for OCI, you can file from either India or US.
If filing from US, there is no requirement that kids be in US. In recent past they wanted to hold your passports while the OCI was processed, but that restriction was recently removed.
There have been stories of people taking an entry visa and traveling when their OCI was not approved in time for travel (this was before the last 2 sets of rules).
Only remember they will allow you to pick up the OCI from the same location you applied to, so do not apply in India and then expect New York to stamp them, or vice versa.

I was just trying to be extra safe when I said about the lawyer.

But you are right the question is simple and the answer is "yes".

Anyways, here is my question to everyone is that how does one apply for the O.C.I if their children are in India, and their parents are in U.S.?

I mean how does parents coordinate the signature part of the application process, and the Photos on the O.C.I application itself?

If the children are too young where they are not able to sign, then they have to finger printed, and if they are able to sign the application then they will sign the application it is simple as that, but how does all this unfolds it is beyond my understanding when children are not in United States.

I guess this could be worked out if both sides mailed the application back and forth and get the work done like that.

well, good luck to aboutocrack.

please keep this forum updated so that others might be able to use it in future.

Anyways, here is my question to everyone is that how does one apply for the O.C.I if their children are in India, and their parents are in U.S.?

I mean how does parents coordinate the signature part of the application process, and the Photos on the O.C.I application itself?

If the children are too young where they are not able to sign, then they have to finger printed, and if they are able to sign the application then they will sign the application it is simple as that, but how does all this unfolds it is beyond my understanding when children are not in United States.

I guess this could be worked out if both sides mailed the application back and forth and get the work done like that.

please keep this forum updated so that others might be able to use it in future.

OR bacche ka angootha kaat ke America bhej do.. Baccha party will be in India and parents can process OCI hassle free.

OR bacche ka angootha kaat ke America bhej do.. Baccha party will be in India and parents can process OCI hassle free.

True! True!

I just realized that if the children's passports are in India ( I am assuming children are American Citizen, therefore they should have American Passport ), since children are in India, so how does one get the copy of passport particulars to parents? One possible way is for parents to give exact instructions to granny over the phone call in Hindi, or whatever their local mother tongue (language) happens to be, then granny might be able to go to the nearest photocopying place and get it copied so that TRAVISA do not send the package back.

Anyways, good luck again to aboutocrack