Applying for K1 overseas

vsnake

Hello guys,

This is my first message on this forum after a long search for information..

I'm French and my fiancé is American, we both live in Paris and she wants to go back to the US.
It seems that the best way for me to go with her is to apply for a K1 fiance visa, am I right? And then we can get married once we get to the US and then apply to change my status to permanent resident.
How long does it take to get the K1 Visa (we read it's 6 to 8 months)? And how long does it take once we are married to change my status?

We saw that she has to be in the US to file the petition to start the process. Do any of you know if there is a way to do that from abroad? Since as mentioned we both live in Paris and we'd like to go to the US at the same time.

Otherwise, once we arrive in the US, if all goes well will I have a right to work? We read that I could apply for a temporary work permit valid for 90 days, how long does it take to get that permit?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Mickael & Jessica

Affidavit of support sponsor and co-sponsor

Thanks for your replies. That's helpful but a question came out of your explanations.

Because we are both abroad she doesn't have any income nor assets in the US (she has a full time job in France). So we read that she can use a co-sponsor who is in the US and meets the requirements. She has family members so that's ok but who has to fill the affidavit of support, her or the co-sponsor or both? Or is there another form for the co-sponsor?

Do you think it is an issue if she doesn't meet at all the requirements but only the co-sponsor? We can still send proof that she has an income and assets here and me too.

Thanks in advance.