Applying for immigrant visa for sister thru mother - queries

pareshshenoy

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a US citizen (born in New York , Nov. 1982). My family moved to India in 1985, and we have been residing here ever since.

I will be leaving for Chicago this July to pursue graduate studies.

I wish to apply for immigrant visas for my mother, father and sister.I have a few queries:

1. How long (how many years) would it take for an immigrant visa to be issued for my
(i) mother and father
(ii) sister

2.I would like to apply for an immigrant visa for my sister through either of my parents, i.e, once my mother has her immigrant visa confirmed. Is this workaround possible?

3. If possible, how many years would it take for my sister to get the visa (my sis in this case wud fall under priority 2, correct?)

4. My sister will turn 21 in Nov. 2007. Woul she fall under priority 2A if her immigrant visa application was submitted before 2007, or must she be 21 at the time of getting the visa ..Please clarify.

5.Lastly , and most importantly, will I be allowed to apply for immigrant visas for my mom/dad while I'm a student (I will be graduating only in 2007) ?

Awaiting replies at the earliest.

Regards,
Paresh.

5) yes but you have to prove that you can support them which may be difficult if youre a full time student with a part time job. If you have other relatives / friends who are usc or PR they can be joint sponsors
1) i) not sure
ii) since your sister is not 21 yet she should get GC thru your parents if included on their paperwork. If they get approved b4 she turns 21.
4) no but she would retain that priority date

Hi,

I would like to know the time taken for these immigrant visas to be obtained (Q1. ) Also, would someone pls clarify Q4 also?

Thanks,
Paresh.

ok for Q4 when an I-130 application is accepted by USCIS it is given a priority date (date of application arrived at USCIS). For priority relatives after APPROVAL of the I-130 a visa is only issued when the priority date is current (according to the state department). Hence the earlier your priority date, the quicker you get the visa