Applying for F1 and married to GC holder

abish_09

Registered Users (C)
I am a GC holder and my husband's a Canadian citizen. I was supposed to move to Canada until he finishes school but we had a turn of events last week. we found out that he didn't make it through the 2nd cut for the Radiography program he's applying for (there were 300+ applicants and only 24 slots available). There are 2 schools offering Radiography here in the area where I live. We just got married a few months ago and my question is, will there be any problems if he files for an F1 visa to study Radiography here? I know that F1 doesn't allow immigration intent. If he's married to a GC holder, and apply for an F1 visa, I know that will raise some red flags. Anyone in the same situation? Any insights or opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It's not recommended that a prospective F1 applicant mentions at any point that he/she has a spouse who is a permanent resident. Having a GC holder spouse clearly indicates, to the immigration officers, that the F1 applicant has immigration intent (even though that may not be the case). Unless you can somehow convince the visa officer that your husband has no immigration intent, I won't recomment that he declares anything about your holding a green card. In our case, we chose the don't ask don't tell policy and didn't volunteer any information that the visa officer didn't ask about.

BoochosNoches said:
It's not recommended that a prospective F1 applicant mentions at any point that he/she has a spouse who is a permanent resident. Having a GC holder spouse clearly indicates, to the immigration officers, that the F1 applicant has immigration intent (even though that may not be the case). Unless you can somehow convince the visa officer that your husband has no immigration intent, I won't recomment that he declares anything about your holding a green card. In our case, we chose the don't ask don't tell policy and didn't volunteer any information that the visa officer didn't ask about.

thanks. i guess you're right about the "don't-ask-don't-tell policy". we're planning to see a lawyer to explore what other options we might have. thanks for the input though! greatly appreciated! :)