Applying for EAD at the local INS

nm1

Registered Users (C)
What is required if one decides to go to the local office and try to get an interim EAD while a 765 application ins pending (in my case, 765 is with CSC)? This is the list I have obtained so far:

765 application form
2 photographs
485 receipt
money order OR Cashier's check for $120

Also, if my address is in Colorado, do I have to go to the Denver office or can I go anywhere to apply (Indianapolis, Boston,etc.). The reason I am asking is that our 90 days are not yet over and I just want other options in case we get rejected at Denver.

I would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks.

nm1

nm1

You have to go denever local office. This is your local office.
You need I-140 approval to get AP/EAD from local INS.
You can try before 90 days is over at regional service center. It wont harm. Sometimes they are cooperative, and issue before 90 days over. If you did not file it at service center, you could apply at local INS and get it on same day assuming you have I-140 approved.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sahin!!

Yes, I do have the I-140 approved. But I have applied for EAD through the CSC. Should I have instead directly applied at Denver? Can I still do that?? Could you or anyone else please guide me in the correct direction.

Thanks.

nm1

Hi

Make another application ready if you need that urgentm go to local INS office and tell them you need AP/EAD urgent. Also aks them that You have applied at service center, see what they say.
I heard you can always cancel your application at service center and apply local INS if you need. Or show them the receipt notice for AP/EAD, they might not need another application them. Take a copy of the application.

I am a little confused here....I thought the local office only gave EADs when 90 days are over at the Service Center. I didn't think that you could apply directly at the local INS for the EAD WITHOUT applying at the service center. If you CAN do this, why wouldn't everyone do this, since for most states, this will be a lot more faster than waiting for one of the 4 service centers to approve your case??

Please clarify!! Thanks.

nm1

Hmm

Why everyone dont do this because of the lack of information. All of my friends took it from local INS at MN. However, The parctise might vary for this case from one local INS to another. Thats why people dont want to take risk.

I also am thinking to get it from local INS as soon as I get my I-140 approved.

Understood??

Thanks Sahin

I'll give this a shot. The biggest concern right now is actually receiving the 485/765 receipts. Mine are in but my wife (who needs to use the EAD) does not have hers in yet. Once we do, I'll go to Denver and give it a shot.

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks again!!

sunny J.

Local INS gives EAD on the same day in your hand, AP takes 1-2 weeks by mail. This is the practice of Minnesota's local INS if you have I-140 approved and I-485 receipt notice. However, practice might vary from one local office to another. There is no harm to give it a shot. They are cooperative most of the time. One year back when I just got out from college, I was eagerly waiting for my OPT EAD, I had job offer waiting, I was dying for EAD, I went to local INS, they issued it since NSC passed three months since I apply on that day.

not in all centers

Hi,

Not in the all the centers, some local centers take 30 to 90 days, you need to look in to their processing times.

In minneapolis, the EAD time is one day, that is why you would et it in a day.

Sahi, ru by anychance working for syntel in MN

RAGHUC

Yes, you are right. I did not think about the prcessing time at local INS. Sorry about that. Whatever you said makes lot of sense.
I dont work for Syntel.