1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for Canadian PR form US on a L1 visa?

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by cnatar02, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. cnatar02

    cnatar02 Registered Users (C)

    Can a Indian citizen, residing in the US on a L1 visa, apply for a Canadian PR at the Buffalo center?

    Typically, L1's are given only for less than 12 months. I am correct in saying that? Does anyone get L1's with validity more than 1 year at a time? Most folks on L1 visa's get their visas renewed again and continue to stay in the US with probably a short trip to India to do the visa stamping again.

    So in that case, would Buffalo accept a Indian citizens application for a Canadian PR who is on less than 1 year L1 visa? Or would he be asked to go to India and apply from there?

    Can someone suggest in such a case if it is better to apply from India or if one can apply from the US on a L1 visa? Thanks in advance for the responses.
  2. 462806

    462806 Registered Users (C)

    I don't think you can apply in Buffalo. You must have been admitted for AT LEAST 12 months to be able to apply at Buffalo. Sorry.
  3. cnatar02

    cnatar02 Registered Users (C)

    is there any case where people have got L1 visas with validity of more than 12 months at a stretch? please share your experiences, thanks.
  4. cnatar02

    cnatar02 Registered Users (C)

    any information about L1 visa period? typically how long does one get a L1 visa for? is it always less than one year or sometimes it can be more than one year at a stretch also? please comment on this, thanks.
  5. 462806

    462806 Registered Users (C)

    If this is a regular "visitor" visa, then no matter what it's validity time, you always get admitted for only UP TO 6 months. I have never seen admittance for a longer period. However, I know that under some circumstances, you can request an extension while you are in the USA. You must provide some very good reasons, though.

  6. cnatar02

    cnatar02 Registered Users (C)

    no L1 visa is a intra-company transfer visa. it is not a student visa. so the I-94 you get at the port of entry will usually be given till the expiry date of the L1 valid visa stamped on the passport.

    my question is: has anyone or anyone you know has got a L1-visa stamped in their passport for more than 12 months at a stretch? if so, let me know.
  7. ani70

    ani70 Registered Users (C)

    If your employer apply for blanket petition L1A is valid for 7 years and L1B for 5 years.Visa normally given for two years based on the approved petition.For my case both time i got visa for two years and at POE I94 issued also for two years each time
    Of course you can apply for Canadian Immigration even you are in L1visa.But be sure that you will be in USA for that period when the immigration will be processed.If you leave USA before that it will be a problem

  8. cnatar02

    cnatar02 Registered Users (C)

    ani70 - thanks a lot for that info.

Share This Page