Applying for B1/B2 Visa With A Previously Submitted DS260

PhantomHigh

Hello everyone:)

I have a question but I’m not sure where I should post it so I chose to do it here as it is related to DV.

So, I’m DV-2021 selectee. I filed my DS-260. And obviously didn’t get a chance for an interview. I already had my B1/B2 visa since 2019 that I used to enter the US 3 times (in 2021,2022, and 2023) during my summer vacations to see my brother who is a U.S. citizen.

Now, I want to apply to renew my B1/B2 visa through the interview waiver program. I’m fully aware that filing a DS-260 sends a strong and clear immigration intent to the officer who is reviewing my non-immigrant visa application.

I never overstayed, worked, or done any kind of crime inside or outside the US.

My question is: Should I apply anyway knowing that there is a high possibility of rejection because of my DS-260? Or are there other options that I can look into?

Thank you for your time and sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

@Sm1smom @Britsimon

Above post has been separated and moved from the AOS Thread in the Visa Lottery sub forum to the B Visa sub forum.
~ ~ Moderator ~~

To answer your posted question, there’s only one way to find out, which is to go ahead and apply while keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Hello everyone:)

I have a question but I’m not sure where I should post it so I chose to do it here as it is related to DV.

So, I’m DV-2021 selectee. I filed my DS-260. And obviously didn’t get a chance for an interview. I already had my B1/B2 visa since 2019 that I used to enter the US 3 times (in 2021,2022, and 2023) during my summer vacations to see my brother who is a U.S. citizen.

Now, I want to apply to renew my B1/B2 visa through the interview waiver program. I’m fully aware that filing a DS-260 sends a strong and clear immigration intent to the officer who is reviewing my non-immigrant visa application.

I never overstayed, worked, or done any kind of crime inside or outside the US.

My question is: Should I apply anyway knowing that there is a high possibility of rejection because of my DS-260? Or are there other options that I can look into?

Thank you for your time and sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

@Sm1smom @Britsimon
Why do you think there is a high chance of rejection? You were admitted to, visited and left the US it seems three times since you submitted it. US consular officials can already see that you do not intend to stay illegally.

To answer your posted question, there’s only one way to find out, which is to go ahead and apply while keeping fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
Thank you @Sm1smom for your reply. I’ll just go ahead and apply.

Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?
After choosing “Yes” should I write a detailed explanation in the field below or just something like “DV-2021 selectee” would be enough?
Why do you think there is a high chance of rejection? You were admitted to, visited and left the US it seems three times since you submitted it. US consular officials can already see that you do not intend to stay illegally.
Thank you @SusieQQQ for your reply.

Just now I remembered this incident at JFK airport back in 2022. I was selected for a secondary inspection and this officer started asking me some questions about my purpose of visiting and my family members in US. So as I was being interviewed, another officer joined and after few minutes he held my passport and started going through the pages and after seeing the previous stamp from LAX he told the first officer to approve my entry as I “was already here and didn’t overstay.”
And so I was admitted and on my way in less than 30 minutes.

I hope this would be the case with my visa application, but my embassy location is Cairo, and they are known for high rejection rates, at least from what I hear on the online communities here.

Should I print my I-94 travel records and include it in my parcel to show my entry and exit information or just let the consular officers do their job?

Thank you all for your time. Your constant support has really helped (and continue to help) us throughout the years.. ❤️

Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?
After choosing “Yes” should I write a detailed explanation in the field below or just something like “DV-2021 selectee” would be enough?

Thank you @SusieQQQ for your reply.

Just now I remembered this incident at JFK airport back in 2022. I was selected for a secondary inspection and this officer started asking me some questions about my purpose of visiting and my family members in US. So as I was being interviewed, another officer joined and after few minutes he held my passport and started going through the pages and after seeing the previous stamp from LAX he told the first officer to approve my entry as I “was already here and didn’t overstay.”
And so I was admitted and on my way in less than 30 minutes.

I hope this would be the case with my visa application, but my embassy location is Cairo, and they are known for high rejection rates, at least from what I hear on the online communities here.

Should I print my I-94 travel records and include it in my parcel to show my entry and exit information or just let the consular officers do their job?

Thank you all for your time. Your constant support has really helped (and continue to help) us throughout the years.. ❤️
i would just write dv selectee. They will know your travel history. Don’t volunteer more info than necessary.

i got a b visa renewed and b visas for my family while we had an immigrant petition pending (before I won DV) and visited both during that and after I was selected in DV. “Yes, I would like to immigrate but only if/when I can do it legally”

btw, has your brother filed an F4 petition for you?

Technically speaking, no one has ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS, not even yourself directly. Yes you submitted a DS260 form to the DOS (which has oversight over the embassies), it is not with USCIS. Nonetheless, answering YES to that question and providing DV info wouldn’t hurt (they already have that information anyways).

i would just write dv selectee. They will know your travel history. Don’t volunteer more info than necessary.
Totally agree.
i got a b visa renewed and b visas for my family while we had an immigrant petition pending (before I won DV) and visited both during that and after I was selected in DV.
This is encouraging
“Yes, I would like to immigrate but only if/when I can do it legally”
I wish I can write that on my DS-160 lol
btw, has your brother filed an F4 petition for you?
He did not.

Technically speaking, no one has ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS, not even yourself directly. Yes you submitted a DS260 form to the DOS (which has oversight over the embassies), it is not with USCIS. Nonetheless, answering YES to that question and providing DV info wouldn’t hurt (they already have that information anyways).
So answering YES just shows more honesty from the part of the applicant?

But actually whether I say YES or NO, it doesn’t really matter because they have a record of my DS-260 anyway and since I didn’t file any petition with USCIS, I am not lying if I answered NO. Right?

So answering YES just shows more honesty from the part of the applicant?

But actually whether I say YES or NO, it doesn’t really matter because they have a record of my DS-260 anyway and since I didn’t file any petition with USCIS, I am not lying if I answered NO. Right?
Correct.
Correct. It however wouldn’t hurt to answer YES.

You're on the right track! Your question is related to both the Diversity Visa (DV) program and the B1/B2 visa interview waiver program. Here's some guidance for your situation:

Impact of DS-260 on B1/B2 Interview Waiver:
  • Filing a DS-260 for the DV program does indicate strong immigrant intent. This might raise questions for the consular officer reviewing your B1/B2 interview waiver application.
Options to Consider:
  1. Wait Before Applying for B1/B2 Renewal: You can wait a while before applying for your B1/B2 renewal. This allows more time between your participation in the DV program and your new application.
  2. Explain the Situation in Your Application: If you decide to apply for the B1/B2 renewal now, you can explain your participation in the DV program in your application. Clearly state your current ties to your home country and emphasize your genuine intent for temporary travel to the US for tourism purposes.
  3. Consult an Immigration Attorney: An immigration attorney can provide specific guidance based on your individual circumstances. They can advise on the best approach for your B1/B2 renewal considering your DV program participation.
Additional Tips:
  • Gather Strong Supporting Documents: When applying for the B1/B2 interview waiver, gather documents that demonstrate strong ties to your home country (employment, property ownership, etc.) and your clear intention for temporary travel to the US.
  • Travel History: Your past travel history with no overstays can be helpful. Highlight your previous entries and exits on your B1/B2 visa for summer vacations.
Remember: The final decision on your B1/B2 visa renewal rests with the consular officer. Following the suggestions above can increase your chances of a successful application.
  • if you need help urgently Whats app at xxxxxxxx they provide free consultation and will guide you. on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on the right track! Your question is related to both the Diversity Visa (DV) program and the B1/B2 visa interview waiver program. Here's some guidance for your situation:

Impact of DS-260 on B1/B2 Interview Waiver:
  • Filing a DS-260 for the DV program does indicate strong immigrant intent. This might raise questions for the consular officer reviewing your B1/B2 interview waiver application.
Options to Consider:
  1. Wait Before Applying for B1/B2 Renewal: You can wait a while before applying for your B1/B2 renewal. This allows more time between your participation in the DV program and your new application.
  2. Explain the Situation in Your Application: If you decide to apply for the B1/B2 renewal now, you can explain your participation in the DV program in your application. Clearly state your current ties to your home country and emphasize your genuine intent for temporary travel to the US for tourism purposes.
  3. Consult an Immigration Attorney: An immigration attorney can provide specific guidance based on your individual circumstances. They can advise on the best approach for your B1/B2 renewal considering your DV program participation.
Additional Tips:
  • Gather Strong Supporting Documents: When applying for the B1/B2 interview waiver, gather documents that demonstrate strong ties to your home country (employment, property ownership, etc.) and your clear intention for temporary travel to the US.
  • Travel History: Your past travel history with no overstays can be helpful. Highlight your previous entries and exits on your B1/B2 visa for summer vacations.
Remember: The final decision on your B1/B2 visa renewal rests with the consular officer. Following the suggestions above can increase your chances of a successful application.
  • if you need help urgently Whats app at xxxxxxxx they provide free consultation and will guide you. on this issue.
I dropped my documents today by the mail.

They only took:
1) DS-160 confirmation page.
2) ONE photo.
3) and both my old and new passports.

They even returned the Interview Waiver Confirmation Letter to me after checking it.

Update:

Here is my visa journey timeline:

07/01 - Submitted my DS-160.

07/02 - Paid $185 application fee and got my interview waiver letter through the portal.

07/03 - Dropped my new and old passports along with ONE photo and DS-160 confirmation page.

07/07 - CEAC status: “Application Received.”

07/11 - CEAC status: “Approved.”

07/15 - CEAC status: “Issued.”