Applying for Australia PR with US GC through Asylum

WoosterLad

Registered Users (C)
I have an interesting question to pose. I am a GC holder for the past three years, having received permanent residence status as a result of asylum. Are there any rules prohibiting us from applying for permanent residence to another country while having received GC through asylum? I would think so but I just wanted your opinion. I am considering applying for PR status in Australia but will not do so until after I get my US citizenship, IF doing so will jeopardize my current status here in the US. Any thoughts? Past experience? A place on the USCIS site I can look to for advice?

Thank you.

WoosterLad
GC holder since March 2006

Obtaining permanent residence in another country will make the USCIS presume that you have abandoned your LPR status in the U.S. You will lose your U.S. greencard. For for information see Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook.

wait until you become a citizen, then you can apply for LPR in australia. doing that while you are still a GC holder in the us will result in uscis revoking ur american PR status. consult with a lawyer nonetheless.