Applying for a travel visa

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am confused about this whole visa process. I will try to explain my situation as best as I can.

Currently I am 28 years old living in my country of origin, here I am an English teacher and I am majoring in Foreign Languages. You see, my parents took me to the US when I was 3 years old through a travel visa in July of 1995. My parents made the mistake of overstaying.
At the age of 21, I decided to move back to my country of origin (once I had saved up money since I had never been here before).

Now that I am 28 years old and have been in my country for 7 years, I would like to know if I could apply for a travel visa.
I have no intentions on overstaying, I want to do things the right way, plus I am already adjusted to the lifestyle here.

*Additional details: my exit was not registered since we left on vehicle and no documentation was asked for at the border.


Well-Known Member
If you left at 21, then you accumulated 3 years of unlawful presence/overstay (from when you were 18 - overstay as a minor is not counted against you). One year or more of unlawful presence leads to a ten year ban, so you will not be able to apply for a visa before ten years since you left the country, so three more years. I suggest you try get some evidence of when you left or that you have been residing elsewhere, so that they can time the ten years properly and not assume that you actually left much later.

see also

You would need to show very strong ties to home to get a visit visa with a 3 year overstay on your record in my opinion. It might be difficult for you to get a tourist visa.


New Member
How to apply for a travel visa.
Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
Pay the visa application fee.
Schedule an appointment for your interview on this web page. You will need the following information in order to schedule your appointment: ...
Visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview.