applying for 2nd RTD while waiting for the 1st RTD

lekarstvo

I applied for Refugee Travel Document in March but I haven't received it yet. When it arrives it will be useless. Because I need this document for next summer with at least 6 months validity on that. I assume, if I apply now I will receive it next year.
Now I am applying for green card, and I want to add another RTD application with I485.

Do you have any experience or idea about applying for 2 RTD at the same time?

Here is my experience,
03/07/21 - I-131 mailed to TSC (But received by NBC)
07/07/21 - I-131 (second) mailed to TSC (received by MSC, transferred to NBC)
07/22/21 - expedite requested for firstRTD
07/29/21 - expedite request denied (no rfe asked)
09/27/21 - Travel document produced firstRTD
09/29/21 - firstRTD on hand
02/24/22 - RFE received for secondRTD

RFE requested first RTD to be surrendered.

Last edited:
thank you for the update. i have decided to use my COP passport to travel to another country (NOT COP). i don't wanna deal with this RTD bullshit . it's fucking ridiculous . we need a class action lawsuit against USCIS , they should extend the validity to 3+ years if we are waiting a year to get it .

It's ridiculous and needs to be changed at least to 2 to 3 years even if they going to give us the RTD in less than 6 months.

If the RTD expires after one year that's means most people only have around a 4 to 6 months window to travel. Because they probably going to need 2 months to plan or get a visa, and most countries ask for a travel document valid for 6 months to allow you to travel.

thank you for the update. i have decided to use my COP passport to travel to another country (NOT COP). i don't wanna deal with this RTD bullshit . it's fucking ridiculous . we need a class action lawsuit against USCIS , they should extend the validity to 3+ years if we are waiting a year to get it .
How are you planning to come back to the US ? Do you have a green card ?

It's ridiculous and needs to be changed at least to 2 to 3 years even if they going to give us the RTD in less than 6 months.

If the RTD expires after one year that's means most people only have around a 4 to 6 months window to travel. Because they probably going to need 2 months to plan or get a visa, and most countries ask for a travel document valid for 6 months to allow you to travel.
Europe only need 2-3 months validation to travel with your RTD

If your asylum was based on political issues with the government then you will have hard times at the neutralization process and you might never even hold US passport but if it’s wasn’t based on political issues then you’re safe and fine to use it for traveling

Do you happen to know if we need to return thr current RTD to renew it ? If we dont need, we can plan this ahead lf time and renew it every time 6~7 months prior expiration.

03/07/21 - I-131 mailed NSC (LIN)
07/07/21 - I-131 (second) mailed NSC (MSC)
03/08/22 - RFE delivered to USCIS
03/21/22 - RTD approved - produced
03/24/22 - RTD received in the mail

Applying for 2 rtd timeline

03/07/21 - I-131 mailed NSC (LIN)
07/07/21 - I-131 (second) mailed NSC (MSC)
03/08/22 - RFE delivered to USCIS
03/21/22 - RTD approved - produced
03/24/22 - RTD received in the mail

Applying for 2 rtd timeline
Congratulationsssss

If your asylum was based on political issues with the government then you will have hard times at the neutralization process and you might never even hold US passport but if it’s wasn’t based on political issues then you’re safe and fine to use it for traveling
I would say it depends. If the government has since changed or a new government is formed instead of persecuting political party in power, then it should be no issue.

I would say it depends. If the government has since changed or a new government is formed instead of persecuting political party in power, then it should be no issue.
It could be but still drama will happen and you have to prove that the government is changed and bring evidence and bla bla still headache at the citizenship stage trust me!

Hi Everyone, I mailed my I-131 more than 3 weeks ago and I did not hear back from USCIS or got a received receipt. Is there something I can do? or keep waiting?