Apply GC for my mom - Procedure and documents required

thetulsan

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Pardon me please if this query is a repost.

My Dad passed away last year and my mom is taking her 3rd trip to the states coming November to be with us. She has 10 yr multiple entry Visitor Visa. When she visits us this time I would like to apply for GC for her. ( I'm a USC ).

Few questions:

1) Would some one please let me know the supporting documents my mom need to prepare from her side?

2) We weren't able to get the Birth certificate for her, also we don't have my parents marriage certificate.

3) If there are any other things I need to prepare.

If any one had this similar situation would you be kind enuff to let me know how you went about it.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Refer to two stickys on this forum they are very helpful and also this forum is big support for all such questions

Since you do not have Birth Certificate -
You need to have affidavits from two elder relatives mentioning her birth date and name at the time of birth. (Her maiden name).
Also you will need letter from her birth place government authority stating non-availability of birth record.
In my mother case when we tried to get it they provided us birth certificate instead!!

For missing marriage certificate, again affidavit from two elder relatives mentioning her marriage date etc. Make sure you specify name change if any clearly in this affidavit. If first name, middle name and last name changed according to your culture etc.

Also you can ask her to get 4-6 US passport size photos if possible. Of-course that you can get done here as well.

Make sure her passport is not expiring in next 6-8 months, if so get it renewed before you apply for her application to avoid complications.

Good luck!

I do not think you need your mom's marriage certificate. If you read instruction in I-130, only if you apply for your father, then you need to submit your parent's marriage certificate.

someone forgot to tell him that it would be construed as fraud and misrepresentation at the port of entry for his mom to enter the USA using a visitor visa with the intention of adjusting her status to permanent residency.

She must show nonimmigrant intent every time she enters the USA. Like "I'm coming to visit my son for a couple of months" and not "my son will file for my GC tomorrow"...