Apply for US Citizenship, Committed crime before. How is the chance?

bravep

Registered Users (C)
This is for my friend. He is scheduled for US citizenship interview on Nov. 2. 2005. He was arrested one time in 2004 in New York (disorderly conduct) for selling knives in his 99C store. He didn’t know he couldn’t sell this stuff without license. He was put in jail for one night and released on conditional discharge.

He has indicated all these in his application form.

My question is what is his chance of approval of US citizenship? Please let me know if you have similar experience. Thanks.

Committed a crime?

It all depends on aspects that you omitted:
1) Was he charged with an offense?
2) Was he convicted of any offense or pleaded guilty in any way?
3) What were the exact offenses of 1) and 2)? Were they misdemeanors or crimes?
4) Did he file the required paperwork with his application? (police report and case file)

Discussing all the possible combinations is just to time consuming. In any case, I hope your friend doesn't go around saying that he committed a crime (as you wrote) if he was not convicted.

Thanks. More details:

1) Here is exactly from the paper:
Charge: Crim Poss Weap 4 F/ARM WEAP
Clas A MISD
Disposition: 052504 Crim Court Qns
Convicted upon Plea of Guilty
Disorderly Conduct
PL 240 20
Sent Conditional Discharge
Fine $250 Fine paid
Sent May 04
My understanding is that he was charged with criminal possession of weapon and was convicted upon plea of guilty. It also says "Disorderly Conduct". Is that a crime or not?

2) The certificate of disposition from the court shows:
Court Action: Pled Guilty & Sentence imposed
PG 240.20
$250 Paid
Conditional Discharge = 1 Y
There is a handwriting on the certificate saying "$95 surcharge paid"
My friend kept a credit card receipt showing he paid $345.00 to the court, which matched the above disposition.

4) He didn't file police report or court paper (but I am not 100% sure).

BTW, in the application form, he checked "Yes" to "Have you even been charged with committing any crime or offense" and other similar questions.

Thanks a bunch.

Sand Diego said:
It all depends on aspects that you omitted:
1) Was he charged with an offense?
2) Was he convicted of any offense or pleaded guilty in any way?
3) What were the exact offenses of 1) and 2)? Were they misdemeanors or crimes?
4) Did he file the required paperwork with his application? (police report and case file)

Discussing all the possible combinations is just to time consuming. In any case, I hope your friend doesn't go around saying that he committed a crime (as you wrote) if he was not convicted.