apply for new SS Card

liul

Registered Users (C)
Do we need to bring the old ones in when we apply for the new ones w/o restrictions?

Unless you want to give some excuse. to save your old card., otherwise Yes, SS officer asks for old card and they shread it promptly.

For me the SS officer asked me for the old card so he can shread it or if I want I can shread it. I said I will shread it and took it home.

In my case the SS officer did not take away the old card, I received the new one in less than a week and I am still holding to the old one (although its of no use).

I didn't take it with me and no body asked for it. So I've both.

That reminds me to shred my old SS card.

abouttime said:
what is the process to replace the card? do I need to go to the office or can we mail it? Thanks.

The same process as when you applied for your first card.
You can apply by mail but by mail you need to mail
your actual GC and bear the risk of losing it in mail
(not likely but we are all paranoid nowadays).

It is not a urgent issue so just take it easy.
Find some SSA offices close to where you live, work or shop
and go there when it is very convinient

Went to SS office yesterday. No old card asked. I am supposed to receive the new one in 2 weeks.

liul said:
Went to SS office yesterday. No old card asked. I am supposed to receive the new one in 2 weeks.

You will get your new ss card without restrictions. If I were you, I would shred the old ss card myself after receiving the new card (no name and number change). Keeping old SS card does not help in anyway.