Apply for GC before aging out, but parents aren't moving for 2 years?

JESSJAMES

Registered Users (C)
I was looking into getting a Green Card through my USC step-dad a few months ago before I turn 21 in September, but we rang the US Embassy and they told us it wouldn't work as my step-dad and mum weren't going to move back to the US as well, cause it was just me hoping to go.

Anyways, they've recently been discussing moving there once my mum finishes her PhD here, which would be about 2 years time. But by then, I'll be 22 going on 23 and the wait time on a green card for me would be 7+ years?

Is is possible for me to apply for the Green Card now before I turn 21 this year, with the intent that my parents plan to move over in 2 years time once mum completes her PhD?? Or would that be rejected too cause they're waiting 2 years still?

Really unsure what to do, I've been wanting to move to the US for years, but haven't had a legal way to do so without my parents moving back too, and now they decide to do it, once I'm about to age out!

Please help?!

Did they get married before your 18th birthday? If not, your stepfather cannot file for you unless he legally adopted you.

If he qualifies to file for you, try to get to him to file before you turn 21 and then figure out the rest later. If he files the petition (I-130) with USCIS in the US, it will take about 3-6 months for it to be approved. Then you will have up to a year after the approval to arrange a consular interview. Then after approval at the interview, they allow another 6 months to enter the US. Upon arrival in the US, you can leave the same day; it's common for new permanent residents to return to their original country for a few months to wrap up their lives before settling in the US for good.

So as I explained, there are ways to stretch out the process to enable it to work with their plan to move to the US in 2 years. But the I-130 for you must be filed before you are 21, or you're pushed out into the category with a 7-year wait.

Did they get married before your 18th birthday? If not, your stepfather cannot file for you unless he legally adopted you.

Yeah, they married when I was about 10, so by all legal and visa related terms I'm the child of a US Citizen.

If he qualifies to file for you, try to get to him to file before you turn 21 and then figure out the rest later. If he files the petition (I-130) with USCIS in the US, it will take about 3-6 months for it to be approved. Then you will have up to a year after the approval to arrange a consular interview. Then after approval at the interview, they allow another 6 months to enter the US. Upon arrival in the US, you can leave the same day; it's common for new permanent residents to return to their original country for a few months to wrap up their lives before settling in the US for good.

So as I explained, there are ways to stretch out the process to enable it to work with their plan to move to the US in 2 years. But the I-130 for you must be filed before you are 21, or you're pushed out into the category with a 7-year wait.

So it will freeze my age at 20 right? I've read mixed reportings on this... That's good about the stretching it out, I'm sure we could stretch it out over the 2 years fine, or even if I went over with my step-dad and then we came back again to "wrap up" here.

The only issue with it all is when we rang the US Embassy last time before my parents decided they were going to move, the lady said there's no way without them moving with me, and I've heard from other people that my step-dad would have to have taken up his residency there again before he could even file the I-130 for me?