apply for ead

Aznjecht

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Did anybody apply for ead? I applied for it because I didn't want to get into trouble explaining that asylees don't need ead to work legally.
What confused me is that I had to do the bio but one of my friend who applied 1 month later got approved without the bio.

Does anybody have this experience?
Thank's

Your wasting money... All you need to do is print the proof off USCIS website and take it to employer. I work for a major corporation and almost 5 years ago when I got this job I used my EAD that was only valid for a year... Its has been then and now and no one has ever asked me for EAD or my status.

Please don't play chicken my friend. As an asylee, it is your inalienable right to work in this country without showing the employee a working permit. Why waste your money and time??

Aznjecht said:
Hi,
Did anybody apply for ead? I applied for it because I didn't want to get into trouble explaining that asylees don't need ead to work legally.
What confused me is that I had to do the bio but one of my friend who applied 1 month later got approved without the bio.

Thank's

Aznjecht said:
Hi,

Thank's
This is frankly really dumb; applying for an EAD that expires and allows your HR people to harass you.

thankful said:
This is frankly really dumb; applying for an EAD that expires and allows your HR people to harass you.

That is very true. The only reason wht I applied for EAD because those days the law was not clear and perhaps we needed EAD to work, this is back in the year 2000.

Just get the unrestricted social security card and present your driver's liscence.

You don't even have to tell them your status. The form (I forgot, I9?) list all acceptable ids. SSC+DL is good enough.

Aznjecht,

What I did in my case was to go to the local SS office with a filled out SS-5 form (which you can download from SSA website) and my current EAD and I-94 to request an unrestricted SSC. I must admit their first response was that unless I was a permanent resident, they would not be able to do it. However, on seeing the print out of the link below from their own website, they became willing to try. The key here is to make sure that they use the CODE A5 (asylee) which automatically removes the restrictions on their computer. I received my new card in 10 days.

http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/documents.htm

I then went to my new employer with my new SSC and driver's liscence.

Hope this is helpful.