Apply Family based Green card for my Dad who is a visitor

rajapkp

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I would like to know if I can file GC for my dad while he is here on visitor visa. I will be getting us citizenship shortly. Does my dad have to go back to his country while I file for I-130 and 485.

I would like to apply for 130 and 485 while he is here

Thanks
Sameer

rajapkp said:
Hi,

I would like to know if I can file GC for my dad while he is here on visitor visa.
Yes you can, but only after you become a USC

I will be getting us citizenship shortly. Does my dad have to go back to his country while I file for I-130 and 485.
No, he can stay here while the application is processed. He can travel with an AP if needed.

I would like to apply for 130 and 485 while he is here

Thanks
Sameer

Thanks ari4u,

So can you clarify please
My dads visitor visa is expiring in Nov 20 2005. I have oath on Oct 24, 2005
So can I apply for I-130 for my dad after Oct 24, 2005 and then apply for I-485 after I130 is approved while my dad is here.

Mostly likely the I130 will take 3 to 4 months only after which I can apply for I-485. So My question is can my dad stay over on his visitor visa even though it is expiring shortly

-Sameer

rajapkp said:
Thanks ari4u,

So can you clarify please
My dads visitor visa is expiring in Nov 20 2005. I have oath on Oct 24, 2005
So can I apply for I-130 for my dad after Oct 24, 2005 and then apply for I-485 after I130 is approved while my dad is here.

Mostly likely the I130 will take 3 to 4 months only after which I can apply for I-485. So My question is can my dad stay over on his visitor visa even though it is expiring shortly

-Sameer

After you become a USC, your dad can apply for I-485 concurrently with your I-130. This way, even after the visa expires, your dad would be in a legal status because he applied for AOS.

I'm in a similar situation. I got my citizenship recently and looking into the option of applying for my Dad who is currently visiting me.

Can my Dad leave US after filing for 485 or is it recommended to get it approved and then leave on AP? How long does 485 approval take? What happens after 485? What are his options after filing/approval of 485 - Stay here or be able to go back to home country?

I'm new to this and was looking for an FAQ on this topic - Sponsoring your relative. Is there one on this forum? Looking to find the whole process, timeline, etc.

vic said:
I'm in a similar situation. I got my citizenship recently and looking into the option of applying for my Dad who is currently visiting me.

Can my Dad leave US after filing for 485 or is it recommended to get it approved and then leave on AP?
Yes, after filing for I-485, your dad can travel in and out of US using AP while GC is pending.

How long does 485 approval take?
No idea, as the FBI name check takes a long time.

What happens after 485?
After the I-485 gets approved, your dad gets his GC.

What are his options after filing/approval of 485 - Stay here or be able to go back to home country?
He can still travel using AP while his GC is pending.

I'm new to this and was looking for an FAQ on this topic - Sponsoring your relative. Is there one on this forum? Looking to find the whole process, timeline, etc.

Look here

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parents.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parentapp.htm

I-130 required documents

I am us citizen and I would like to file for I-130 for my parents. What are the required documents for this ?

I donot have my birth certificate ( I was born in India ). What other doc can I use ?

What are the other docs I need ?

Thanks
Sameer

I-485 docs

I am us citizen and I would like to file for I-130 for my parents. What are the required documents for this ?

I also want to apply for I-485 concurrently.

I donot have my birth certificate ( I was born in India ). What other doc can I use ?

So what docs do I need for my parents for I-485 ?

Thanks
Sameer

rajapkp said:

I also want to apply for I-485 concurrently.

So what docs do I need for my parents for I-485 ?

Thanks
Sameer
Hi all ,
I just applied 1-130 & i-485 toghether for my mother who is on visitor visa here. Basically 1. birth certi ,2. marriage certi for parents 3. your birth certi in which your parents name 4. copy of i-94 5. copy of visa in passport 6. I-693 medical report from physician required.

I 485 application

Hello All,
My dad does not have his birth certificate. He is already 70 plus.
I want to apply for his green card as I got my citizenship.

can I file 485 application without birth certificate for my dad ?

-Sameer

rajapkp said:
Hello All,
My dad does not have his birth certificate. He is already 70 plus.
I want to apply for his green card as I got my citizenship.

can I file 485 application without birth certificate for my dad ?

-Sameer
You can get no recordCERTIFICATE FROM TALUKA OR COUNTY LEVEL FROM INDIA AND GET AFFIDEVIATE FROM ELDERLY PERSON WHO IS MORE IN AGE THAN YOUR FATHER and you can submit that in place of birth certificate.

Birth certificate affidavit for I485

Is there a standard format for the Affidavit if we dont have birth certificate ?
Can someone please post a standard format ?

Thanks
Sameer

rajapkp said:
Is there a standard format for the Affidavit if we dont have birth certificate ?
Can someone please post a standard format ?

Thanks
Sameer
Please visit immihelp.com site for format. Go to i-485 & you will get it . Again this site is good for all kind of problems !!!

birth certificate - Apply GC for my dad

I got my citizenship recently and I want to apply for my parents.

Now when I got GC 7 years back, I did not have birth cert and I got affidavits from my Dad and Mom

Now when I apply for my parents citizenship they require my birth cirtificate.
Since I dont have birth certificates, Can I use the affidavits signed by my parents as substitute for my birth certificate.

Please let me know if this will be conflict of interest as I will be applying for GC for my parents and then submitting affidavits for birth certs signed by my parents itself.

What are the other alternatives ?

-Sameer

rajapkp said:
I got my citizenship recently and I want to apply for my parents.

Now when I got GC 7 years back, I did not have birth cert and I got affidavits from my Dad and Mom

Now when I apply for my parents citizenship they require my birth cirtificate.
Since I dont have birth certificates, Can I use the affidavits signed by my parents as substitute for my birth certificate.

Please let me know if this will be conflict of interest as I will be applying for GC for my parents and then submitting affidavits for birth certs signed by my parents itself.

What are the other alternatives ?

-Sameer

try this
http://yourmaninindia.com/index.html

click on birth certificate on the left.