Applied for SS CARD

gcusa99

Registered Users (C)
I submitted application for social security card (duplicate: same name and number). The officer looked at my green card and entered information in the computer and took old SS card. I was told, new card will be available within two weeks and suggested not to laminate card.

tsc123102 said:
do we have to update our SS card after get GC, the stasus are J1->H1B->PR. thanks

I had the same transitions as yours. It is good to update your legal status as your status changes and now you are permanent resident after going thru stringent legal process. You will get a new social security card (same name and number) without legend (valid with INS authorization to work), just like US citizens ( as my two daughters) get their ss cards.

thanks JoeF for your prompt response

I will do it recently. By the way, besides the passport, old SS card, green card, driver liscence, what else I need bring...

Thanks a lot!

tsc123102 said:
I will do it recently. By the way, besides the passport, old SS card, green card, driver liscence, what else I need bring...

Thanks a lot!

I was asked to show only green card and ss card though I carried all other docs(Passport,DL).

SS Card

I went to SS office, showed my GC stamp and DL. He made changes in the system as employment authorized and said that card should in the mail in the next 2 weeks.

I think it is great idea to change because it helps your employment, incase they look into the system.

I had different experience

After passport stamping, on the same day, we went to SS office.

The lady at the counter looked at stamp and said, she cannot update
anything at this time. Update will occur automatically and new card will be
mailed to you in 6 weeks time. If you don't get your new card in 6 weeks time
(from day of stamping), come back here and we would update your records.

Has anyone else got similar reply.
I am here in Charlotte, North Carolina

Seems unusual. I did not get my new SS card right away. I went to the office 3-4 months after getting my PR and asked for a new one. Unless the policy has changed, you have gotten incorrect information. If you not need a new SS card right away, wait a couple of months and then go to the SS office again.

Rgds,
sadiq

sydney2000 said:
After passport stamping, on the same day, we went to SS office.

The lady at the counter looked at stamp and said, she cannot update
anything at this time. Update will occur automatically and new card will be
mailed to you in 6 weeks time. If you don't get your new card in 6 weeks time
(from day of stamping), come back here and we would update your records.

Has anyone else got similar reply.
I am here in Charlotte, North Carolina

The process for social security card is not automatic. You need to update your permanent resident status at social security office by submitting new application and showing green card (though I-551 stamp is acceptable, I would wait till I get physical card and get status updated). Our legal status was updated and got new ss cards (same name and number) within five days including weekends, it is unbelievable.

mistake going to ssn office

hi friends... i feel worried ...i went to social security office too soon, 4 days after the stamp (and my PR status not being updated in their immig records). the lady was not particularly helpful and indeed little suspicious by catching a mistake in my name spelling in immigration and social security record (just one trivial alphabet being different). she said, this is not right, and there is no way a computer can accept and will send it to immigration and have their advice and consequently to be corrected in either of systems

she put some long note on my application form to be sent to the immigration, while i just watched her adn do all this, (and not even asking her abondon the request ... till i wait more and get atleast my PR card first)

while i have nothing to fear, but i dono if this will cause delay in my PR card issual .... ? .... could this incident cause problem ? maybe it does ....

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
That seems to depend. I have seen several posts from people who got a new card automatically. I have no idea why this is done in some cases and not in others...
Agree. Would like to know the same.

I would wait

I would wait for couple months, if I don't get card, then I would to SS office
and request a new one. In either case, I would keep you all posted.
Thanks everyone for suggestion.