application mess!

cpgiri

Registered Users (C)
We applied for I-485 recently. I received a receipt notice together with our kids. I have not received the same for my spouse. Interestingly,
1. my check was for $375 (255+120 for EAD) and they said they've received (305+120=425).
2. We have not received anything for my spouse. We had also submitted a check of $375.
3. For kids, everything is fine except spelling mistake in the name.

My question is why they charged 305 but not 255? Is this a new fee? Today I checked my bank account and they have deducted 425. How come the bank allowed to withdraw that amount of money from two checks $375 each?

Now, what will happen to the application of my spouse. Will they return the application because the application fee for both was not enough.

Please help!

Your situation calls for an immediate intervention and follow-up from your attorney.

Act fast or things might delay unnecessarily.

Thanks

ODD??

I can understand that USCIS making mistakes (don't laugh). I am curiouse how your bank let somebody cash the check with a different amount from what your were written. Now, that's screwed up!! Did you call your bank yet in this regard? I am curiouse to know their explanation.

ODD??

I can understand that USCIS making mistakes (don't laugh). I am curiouse how your bank let somebody cash the check with a different amount from what your were written. Now, that's screwed up!! Did you call your bank yet in this regard? I am curiouse to know their explanation. :confused:

ODD??

I can understand that USCIS making mistakes (don't laugh). I am curiouse how your bank let somebody cash the check with a different amount from what your were written. Now, that's screwed up!! Did you call your bank yet in this regard? I am curiouse to know their explanation. :confused:

But what about the $50 required for fingerprinting? Did you include a separate check for that??

Even if you did not include that, it surprises me that the bank would allow more withdrawal than written on the check. Is it the case that BCIS can circumvent typical banking procedures for checks sent to them??!

Anyway, my best guess is that the additional $50 was the fee required for fingerprinting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cpgiri,
You have not mentioned anything regarding check for FP. Is there a separate check of $50 for FP.

Since you said your check is for $375 and not $425:
Primary applicant processing fee for 485, FP and EAD = $425.
If my guess is right, BCIS did a favor to you by accepting your application and deducting amount from your wifes check and adjusting it for your application. Since Pirmay applicant is more important. Also, your bank account reflects $425 and not $750 (375+375).

Remember that if primary applicants application is incomplete, for any reason, all the dependents applications would be rejected too. So instead of rejecting your application, BCIS would have adjusted the amount and not mentioned anything regarding your wifes application.

Now you have to re-apply only for your wife, and not for everybody. Good luck
The above is my guess and analysis, depending on your information. Consult attorney

Moreover, as I recall, the USICS requires seperate checks for I-485 and EAD ? They really did you a favor if they accepted your application in that manner

cpgiri,
Did you apply yourself of through a lawyer.

If you did it yourself, then please read about the latest fee for each application before you send it (You can do that by visiting their website, or by calling them), becuase some of the application forms were printed many years ago, and still reflect the old fee.

Also never write one check for all applications. Its OK to include finger-printing fee with I-485 (which I guess you did not), but you should always write separate checks for I-765 and I-131 (again I guess you wrote one check for two things).

Lets say if your I-765 was unacceptable for any reason, then they would have also returned your I-485 because you didn't write separate checks..

Hello peace_of_mind and kjkool ,

I am bit confused.
I have paid only $236 for I485 filing in May'03.
Have not heard anything for FP so far.

I was told by my other friends that FP Fee is to be paid at the time of Finger Printing.

Is it true?

And how come there is difference in I 485 filing fee.

Thanks in Advance,

Achal

achal:

The filing fee for 485 was reduced for a small period of time in Jan/Feb of 2003 (the reasons are detailed but not important here). The reduced fee was $186 (+$50 for FP) = $236. However, effective 2/27/03, the fees were reinstated to $255 + $50 for FP = $305. Since you filed in May 03, you must have paid the $305 amount. Did you get a receipt notice from BCIS?

K.S.

Originally posted by achal
Hello peace_of_mind and kjkool ,

I am bit confused.
I have paid only $236 for I485 filing in May'03.
Have not heard anything for FP so far.

I was told by my other friends that FP Fee is to be paid at the time of Finger Printing.

Is it true?

And how come there is difference in I 485 filing fee.

Thanks in Advance,

Achal

Hello peace_of_mind & sivajhu,

Sorry I was late to reply this.

My application was submitted by my lawyer. He had written me below lines (it happened in Feb'03) when I was preparing for documents for I-485 that time.
==============================================
Adjustment filing fee of $236 payable to "Immigration & Naturalization Service" for each applicant (dependents under the age of fourteen only need submit a filing fee of $160)

Work authorization filing fee of $88 payable to "Immigration & Naturalization Service" for each applicant (separate check)

Advance parole filing fee of $80 payable to "Immigration & Naturalization Service" for each applicant (separate check)
==============================================
In April'03 my I 140 was approved and based uopn above mail I sent him everything and he filed I 485 in May'03. We got Receipt Letter from INS. It does not have anything about that.

But I will check with my lawyer if he had paid additional amount.

Was not able to contact my lawyer.
But found that now he is asking $305 from others as mentioned by sivajhu .

I think he had paid that additional amount since I had already given him surplus amount .

Achal

achal:

Since you got the receipt notice, BCIS has recd. the correct fee (as of the date it was recd. by BCIS) and has accepted the appl. Either your lawyer mailed it before feb 27 or wrote a check for $305. Your receipt notice from BCIS should state the fee recd. by BCIS.

K.S.