Application from oversea

greentea_2001

Registered Users (C)
Hello there,

Can I apply for citizenship while I am on a vacation outside US? I am thinking of taking a long vacation (less than 6 monthes) outside US and mail my application and come back for FP. Is this ok?

Thanks,

GT

greentea_2001 said:
Hello there,

Can I apply for citizenship while I am on a vacation outside US? I am thinking of taking a long vacation (less than 6 monthes) outside US and mail my application and come back for FP. Is this ok?

Thanks,

GT

As long as you don't break the continuous residency requirement I don't see any problem for applying from abroad. You'd have to provide a "care-of" address in the US though, because USCIS does not send notices abroad. You might also want to keep in mind that in most jurisdictions the fingerprinting is done within a few weeks of applying so perhaps your vacation may not be all that long after all!

Sam

agree with sam,a few months ago ron had answered a similar question and said the law does not say that one has to reside in america while filing an application for n400.
aslong as u can prove ur rsidency and maintain ur residency..

query11 said:
agree with sam,a few months ago ron had answered a similar question and said the law does not say that one has to reside in america while filing an application for n400.
aslong as u can prove ur rsidency and maintain ur residency..

Thanks a lot. In this case, what "Home Address" in Part 4 of N400 should it be? Should it be the US home address or the "long" vacation address outside US?

Thansk,

since you are applying for naturalization based on the fact that you are a permanent resident of america,i am assuming you have to put ur american address.
But what is this long vacation>>hope u know about the residency requirements????

greentea_2001 said:
Thanks a lot. In this case, what "Home Address" in Part 4 of N400 should it be? Should it be the US home address or the "long" vacation address outside US?

Thansk,

query11 said:
since you are applying for naturalization based on the fact that you are a permanent resident of america,i am assuming you have to put ur american address.
But what is this long vacation>>hope u know about the residency requirements????

Yeah, I understand the residency requirements. In my case, I am thinking of going out of US 3 or 4 monthes before I am eligible for application. I would like to mail my application while I am abroad and then come back for FP, if that is Ok.

As Sam and you have said, I can mail my application while I am abroad. Now the question is what home address I should put there consider it is a "long" (but less than 6 monthes) period out of US.

Given that N400 has a "care of" address, I wonder if the "Home Address" must be US address.

Thanks a lot.

hey just a sincere suggestion,plz forgive me as i donot want to offend anyone...
why cant u go abroad have fun and have someone here(ur sibbling/gf/friend) mail in your application to uscis when it is time?
why do u want to be in their eye of suspicion right from the start....

greentea_2001 said:
Yeah, I understand the residency requirements. In my case, I am thinking of going out of US 3 or 4 monthes before I am eligible for application. I would like to mail my application while I am abroad and then come back for FP, if that is Ok.

As Sam and you have said, I can mail my application while I am abroad. Now the question is what home address I should put there consider it is a "long" (but less than 6 monthes) period out of US.

Given that N400 has a "care of" address, I wonder if the "Home Address" must be US address.

Thanks a lot.

greentea_2001 said:

Thanks a lot.

Your "home address" is the address where you permanently reside. That should be your US address - where you normally live. Your vacation address cannot be considered a home address unless you intend to make that your permanent residence. You are free to do so after your naturalization, but for now give your US address.

Sam

query11 said:
hey just a sincere suggestion,plz forgive me as i donot want to offend anyone...
why cant u go abroad have fun and have someone here(ur sibbling/gf/friend) mail in your application to uscis when it is time?
why do u want to be in their eye of suspicion right from the start....

That's what I am planning to do, to have someone here mail in my application. But what confuses me is the home address. Part 6 requests to list places lived in passed 5 years and it automatically put "Current Home Address" in the first row. Since I would be living abroad at that time, I wonder whether I should put my oversea address as home address.

BTW, what is considered "lived"? If I go abroad for 5 monthes, is it considered as "lived"? I stayed about 10 monthes (coming back to US in the middle) because of work. Should I put this period in Italy as "lived" there?

Thanks,

greentea_2001 said:
That's what I am planning to do, to have someone here mail in my application. But what confuses me is the home address. Part 6 requests to list places lived in passed 5 years and it automatically put "Current Home Address" in the first row. Since I would be living abroad at that time, I wonder whether I should put my oversea address as home address.

BTW, what is considered "lived"? If I go abroad for 5 monthes, is it considered as "lived"? I stayed about 10 monthes (coming back to US in the middle) because of work. Should I put this period in Italy as "lived" there?

Thanks,

The difference between "stayed" and "lived" involves both duration and intent. You "stay" at a place temporarily usually a short period of time, like may be a few days or weeks before returning home. On the other hand you "live" at your normal place of residence. It appears that you were in Italy for an extended period of time and therefore you lived there during that period. You should therefore mention it in the list of places you've lived in.

Your current home address is where you have most recently lived and that's why it's in the first row. One of the requirements for naturalization is that you should have lived in the district or state from where you are applying for the last 3 months. So if you plan to go abroad now and have someone mail in your application after say 4 months your application will be rejected because you will have failed to meet this requirement. Please keep this in mind and send in your application at the appropriate time (i.e. after you've resided in the US for at least 3 months).

Sam