ap renewal pending...485 approved...how to travel ??

indian_gems1

Registered Users (C)
My 485 has been approved and I am right now in India. My previous AP AND EAD expired in Feb'04. I had applied for renewal for AP and EAD in Dec'03 and have not received it yet. I was outside US when I applied for the renewal. Now I feel I will not get the renewal because I am outside the US.

My attorney has sent my 485 approval documents to my address in India and has requested me to get a TRAVEL DOCUMENT from the consulate. Will this be a problem ?? Will the consulate regard my 485 as abondoned and not issue the travel document ??

My other choice....I am a permanent resident of Canada and can travel through Canada to a border in US . I can go for the stamping , finger printing at the border . Will the officer there ask for the latest EAD and AP ?? Please suggest as to what would be the right approach for stamping.

Thanks.

Since 485 has been approved you can apply for a travel document (AP from a consulate). You had in good faith applied for AP - can be an arguement you can put forth at the consulate.

You cannot do FP/stamping at the border. I485 requires a 551 stamp and submission of I89 (stamp in passport and your FP) which only local offices can do.

Your only option is to file for travel document.

thanks Jaxen

Jaxen..

My attorney says I can get the stamping and fp at the detroit port of entry . My main concern is if they will stamp it without my having a valid Advance Parole and EAD. I will have the old ones and the renewal receipts.

My wife is also in a similar mess, we tried obtaining a document from consulate but they denied stating "since the 485 processing is underway you should be contacting USCIS". We are trying to contact the local BCIS office for mercy.
I couldn't properly follow your last posting regarding "stamping and fp at the port of entry".
- Please clarify how you plan to board the airplane, they will check your documents before checking in (I might be wrong on this!, but please check it through before comming in - you don't want to go back denying entry)

Please keep posting your status and I'll also try to do the same.
Best of luck

hi.....

hi usa_mirage,

I had mentioned earlier that I am a permanent resident of Canada and can travel to Toronto .

I was talking of driving to US through the Detroit- Windsor border and getting the PR stamping at the border port of entry.

I just got a confirmation from my lawyer that this is possible and that I may have to for secondary inspection to prove employment .

I will try this method because I dont want to go through the hastles of travel document at the Homeland Security department in Delhi, and I am not doing anything illegal.

You can try to get the travel document after 485 approval or
you may try to get Canadian visiting visa for your wife and once she gets the 485 approval ,she can get the stamping at the border and continue to travel to US.

Hope this was helpfu.