AP Renewal - expired 5 months back

tpk3576

Registered Users (C)
Hi-
I am planning to apply(self & spouse) for renewing Advance Parole application based on pending I485 application, currently am on H1 status. My recent issued AP expired in Sept'08 and in lieu of some travel plans this year, I plan to apply for new AP soon. I would appreciate if anyone can provide insight into specific documentation that needs to be sent as the AP was expired few months back and any implications if any for applying after 5 months.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Check the Sticky on this forum about the AP renewal. It lists the docs you need to send. I used the list from the sticky and sent my app in Jan. I'm expecting an approval email in the next 2 days.
By the way, mine too had expired in Sept. All you need to do is pay the fees, send the app and send a couple of docs along with it.

Thanks jack23. I searched the forum for docs, however could not find it. Not sure if I'm doing it right, but appreciate if you can kindly help point to the direct link or let us know the documents you had submitted(if applied for spouse, kindly provide that too). Also can you tell if you applied online or by mail and how long did it take for you to get an appointment for finger printing. In my case, I will need to apply at Texas Service Center.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, USCIS doesn't care how long your old AP has been expired. Every AP application is a new application and, unlike I-765, there is no real option for "renewal", you're just applying for a new one. You don't even need a AP if you don't intend to travel, so there is certainly no consequence to applying for a new one at any time, even way after an earlier one has expired.

As for required documents, if you find the I-131 form online you should also find the I-131 instructions on the same USCIS webpages (try Google). I always prefer paper-filing so I don't have to go get photographed, I just send everything at once and wait for the AP in the mail. You need the application, fee if applicable (depends on I-485 filing date), 2 photos with your name and A# written in pencil on the back, a copy of the I-485 receipt notice, a copy of a government issued photo ID (passport or driver's license) and a short paragraph describing that you are an AOS applicant and wish to have an AP in case you need to travel (this last one may not really be required, see the instructions). That's it. I can't remember if the instructions request a copy of your most recent I-94, but if they do, send a copy of both sides of that.

Your spouse has her own I-485 receipt notice and is thus applying by herself independently of you - in the eyes of USCIS.