AP question

kishore_s

Registered Users (C)
My wife applied for her AP on June 27th at TSC. She is planning for India trip leaving USA on Aug 4th. I know we can't mail her the AP after the approval so that she can use it while entering USA.

But my question is if her AP get approved before Aug 4th (let say on 2nd or 3rd) and if we haven't received it by 4th can she leave as planned and then can I mail it to her in India ? Technically she is leaving the country after the approval. ? :p

Any suggesion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kishore

AP expiration?

I have one more question about AP expiration:

I applied my AP on 09/15/2005 and got approved. The USCIS wrote on the AP that the AP was valid until 09/15/2006. When I travaled back from oversea this may, the custom inspected my AP and stamped:"paroled until 05/2007". Does that means I can use this AP until 05/2007? The custom extended the expiration date of my AP?

Thanks.

kishore_s said:
My wife applied for her AP on June 27th at TSC. She is planning for India trip leaving USA on Aug 4th. I know we can't mail her the AP after the approval so that she can use it while entering USA.

But my question is if her AP get approved before Aug 4th (let say on 2nd or 3rd) and if we haven't received it by 4th can she leave as planned and then can I mail it to her in India ? Technically she is leaving the country after the approval. ? :p

Any suggesion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kishore

Yep, overseas visits will extend AP...

Yep, overseas visits will extend AP...that way one doesn't have to apply for extending them...can save $170 in application fees...

santa4u said:
Yep, overseas visits will extend AP...that way one doesn't have to apply for extending them...can save $170 in application fees...
davy72, santa4u,

I may be entirely wrong in this but my understanding is that the stamp "paroled until xx\xxxx" determines ones period of legal stay. You use the AP in place of a visa and are allowed re-entry and stay into the US for a certain period. The abovementioned stamp tells you what this period is and does not extend the validity of the AP document itself, assuming that it is a multiple entry AP in the first place. This xx\xxxx date will be the same as the one they would have stamped on your I-94.

Again, I may be wrong in this so be sure to check with an attorney.

Intezar05 said:
davy72, santa4u,

I may be entirely wrong in this but my understanding is that the stamp "paroled until xx\xxxx" determines ones period of legal stay. You use the AP in place of a visa and are allowed re-entry and stay into the US for a certain period. The abovementioned stamp tells you what this period is and does not extend the validity of the AP document itself, assuming that it is a multiple entry AP in the first place. This xx\xxxx date will be the same as the one they would have stamped on your I-94.

Again, I may be wrong in this so be sure to check with an attorney.
Why are you not confident of it? Actually you are right, aren’t you?

kishore_s said:

I've always wondered about this loophole too. Like you said, technically, its approved prior to departure. CBP would have no other means of knowing whether you had it in your hand when you departed, since CBP doesn't check your papers on departure. CBP will only check upon arrival that the USCIS approved it BEFORE your departure date, as far as I can tell. They really have no clue when it arrived in your mailbox.
Still confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
santa4u said:
IGNORE THIS ADVICE - It is completely wrong. The validity of an AP is determined solely by the date printed on the AP.

Intezar05 said:
If I knew the answer to that for sure, I would be confident. :rolleyes:
Any you are right not to be confident, because you are partly wrong.

To enter using AP you need to have a valid AP, the validity being determined by the date printed on the AP form itself.

When you do enter using AP, you will get a new I-94 stamped with a date one year from the date of entry. Under most circumstances this date has no significance whatsoever, since you are allowed to stay in the country indefinitely while an adjustment of status is pending. Therefore, ignore this date.