AOS question for parents

tinkerman79

My parents are coming to the US on visitor visa. I will be filing i-130/I-485 for adjustment of status for both of them once they get here. I am a US citizen.

Do I need to file separate forms for both of them (i.e. 2 i-130/i-485 applications)? If yes, will the two applications get reviewed/approved independent of each other?

You need to file separately for each parent. You can mail forms in one package to allow them to be processed together. Fees have to be sent separately - $1490 for each applicant under the age of 80. All the necessary documentation like copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates are required with the filing.

A sealed medical examination report is also required to be filed for each applicant along with I-485. A designated doctor will fill out form I-693 after examining the applicant.

Also, when entering the U.S. on a tourist visa, a person cannot have intent to immigrate while here.

Also, when entering the U.S. on a tourist visa, a person cannot have intent to immigrate while here.

A person can't have the intent to immigrate here at the time of visa application and entry. That is why there is several people who mention waiting some time (at least two to three months) between the time of arrival and the time the paperwork is filed.

If the original posters parents come here and tell the officer that they intend to return to their home country, but have the intent at the time and in return and file paperwork for residence status shortly after their arrival, it could be seen as lying to a federal officer.

A person can't have the intent to immigrate here at the time of visa application and entry. That is why there is several people who mention waiting some time (at least two to three months) between the time of arrival and the time the paperwork is filed.

If the original posters parents come here and tell the officer that they intend to return to their home country, but have the intent at the time and in return and file paperwork for residence status shortly after their arrival, it could be seen as lying to a federal officer.

How long should I wait before filing the paperwork? Would 2 months be a safe timeslot?

How long should I wait before filing the paperwork? Would 2 months be a safe timeslot?

There is no regulation or law that states you have to wait a certain amount of time. However, after saying that, the longer period of time between the arrival and the time the papers are filled the view of having immigrant intent at the time of the visa interview and when arriving in the country goes down.

I have to ask, for your parents travel to the US, did you, or are you going to, get round trip tickets and if so how long is their "intended" stay in the US?