AOS of F-1 student.

udi

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I am Permanent resident and my girl-friend is on F-1 student status. What do I have to do to change her status or at least get work-permit and how long will it take?

Please advise.

Thanks,
udi

You as a permanent resident cannot do much about it. If you get married and you file I-130 for her it will still be another 5-6? years before immigrant visa becomes available for her. During this time she has to maitain her legal status here on her own. You cannot get a work permit for her.

Hi all,
I am Permanent resident and my girl-friend is on F-1 student status. What do I have to do to change her status or at least get work-permit and how long will it take?

Please advise.

Thanks,
udi

To add to Ninyte's reply, for now she can work on campus for a maximum of 20 hrs during school semesters and 40 hrs during summer while on F1 visa. In order to do that, she needs to get employment from the university itself. And then proceed to get a Social Security card that would have "Authorized to work with DHS approval only".

Otherwise, once she successfully completes her study program, she will need to apply for a I-765 Employment Authorization Document (EAD) under the F1-OPT (Optional Practical Training) category which would be valid for a year.

I have a similar question but different scenario, albeit odd. I am a US Citizen. I am sponsoring my father who is F1 and mother is F2. They have maintained lawful status throughout their stay here and never worked in the US. Any problems with petitioning them for greencard through AOS? So far, I got 130 approved but there is outstanding RFE for 485... dieing to get the letter soon to find out what the question is....

Not a problem. (Your dad is a STUDENT that is ODD).

You have already applied for them right? so I do not see any problems with that.

Correct. He has been going to school for over 10 years - with 3 advance degrees. No joke. However, now that we've filed for AOS, he is planning to stop going to school. It's my understanding that it's ok to do so after he files for 485. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

I have been concerned lately because RFE was issued 3 days ago on his 485. Just not sure what it could be for. I belive the same RFE was issued for my mother's 485.

No need to correct you. You are right. His status depends now on his I-485 adjudication.

ps: does he work? what his he doing with so much knowledge?

Not a problem. (Your dad is a STUDENT that is ODD).

You have already applied for them right? so I do not see any problems with that.

LOL>. Prea,,,,...?
Stop being Nossy..... let the man do whatever he has to do he can earn 10 PHD"s in differnt fields as long as he is legall in the US thats all that matters...lol..
But yes, I must admit he should be really proud of his dad, the only thing is that he has to make sure he earns more degrees in his life time than his dad, so he woun't be a loser.....lo.....

LOL>. Prea,,,,...?
Stop being Nossy..... let the man do whatever he has to do he can earn 10 PHD"s in differnt fields as long as he is legall in the US thats all that matters...lol..
But yes, I must admit he should be really proud of his dad, the only thing is that he has to make sure he earns more degrees in his life time than his dad, so he woun't be a loser.....lo.....

Is not Prea :p...

But I am just curious... plus is always good to know background information when giving someone advice on immigration matters. :rolleyes:

Hi guys..

can somebody please help me understand all these abbreviations...NL , RFE, AOS, ND, RD, AP, FP...etc.... when I am reading the posts, half of the time i do not understand what you guys are talking about:)

Thanks

Hi guys..

can somebody please help me understand all these abbreviations...NL , RFE, AOS, ND, RD, AP, FP...etc.... when I am reading the posts, half of the time i do not understand what you guys are talking about:)

Thanks

RFE - request for evidence
AOS - Adjustment of status
ND - Notice date
RD - Receipt date
AP - Advanced parole
FP - Fingerprints

Thanks guys for the reassuring words. He's been retired for about 20 years. He never finished college so it was his goal to get advance degrees. From that point on, he was sort of addicted to school. LOL. I am extremely proud of him - something that I would have never done. Part of me tells me that he did it for me so we can stay in US during his studies. Since then, I got my greencard through my company and received my citizenship.