AOS Medical Exam - Insurance Coverage?

Flushy

Hello all. First off, this is a nice looking community here.

I have a question about the medical exam for I-485 applicants.
I know that you have to use an approved Civil Surgeon, but does anyone know if the cost of the exam is covered by insurance carriers like Oxford? Specifically, for surgeons in the NYC area?

Thanks

I do not think they do. If you need any shots, go to the Health Department. I went there and the cost was 1/4th of what the Office of Civil Surgeon said. Make sure you make some phone calls and get the best rate. Good luck!

Flushy said:
Hello all. First off, this is a nice looking community here.

I have a question about the medical exam for I-485 applicants.
I know that you have to use an approved Civil Surgeon, but does anyone know if the cost of the exam is covered by insurance carriers like Oxford? Specifically, for surgeons in the NYC area?

Thanks

I amin the process of getting my medicals done. I live in NYC. MAke sure you have all the vaccinations/ppd done by your regualr doctor. Also call all the civil surgeons in your area. You will be suprised at the range of fees that the docs charge. If you have all the documents, it should not cost more than $120 in NYC.

I was in similar situation as you are a week ago. The cheapest civil surgeon that I could find cost $165 for medical exam. Bloodwork was covered by Oxford. My shots were all current except for Mumps so that was an extra $75 for mumps shot. Hope this helps.

Ok, I'll look into having the vaccinations done at the DOH in Manhattan or through my doctor, that makes total sense instead of paying extra to the Civil Surgeon.
I have had a few vaccinations that are on the list, but can't remember which exactly, or when, and the clinic I used to go to in the UK closed down years ago, so I don't have easy access to my records there. I guess I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks for ther advice on shopping for the best surgeon rates too!

Flushy said:
Ok, I'll look into having the vaccinations done at the DOH in Manhattan or through my doctor, that makes total sense instead of paying extra to the Civil Surgeon.
I have had a few vaccinations that are on the list, but can't remember which exactly, or when, and the clinic I used to go to in the UK closed down years ago, so I don't have easy access to my records there. I guess I'm starting from scratch.

Thanks for ther advice on shopping for the best surgeon rates too!

Dont forget PPD. Test for syphilis/HIV will still be done by the civil surgeon but that should be covered by your insurance company.

Yeah, PPD too. I know that's going to come up at the exam, because I had the tuberculosis jab when I was eleven. I read that when they test, it'll show as if I have a trace of TB in my system, and they'd likely x-ray to double check.