AOS Interview today and approved

SJOrl

Registered Users (C)
I had the interview today in Orlando. I just want to share my experience. My appoinment was at 10.30 a.m. We got there at 10 a.m. Many people were waiting outside the office. Waited 30 mins, finally got through the security guard. We only waited for 15 mins to call in. The officer is a lady. She seemed pretty easy. She asked my ID, passport, I-94, EAD, SSN (did not bring it, I just gave her my number).
Then she asked me if I travelled before. I said many times. And she asked, what document did I use to travel. I said Advance Parole. Then she asked if I have it with me. Then I told her that I did not bring my old Advance Parole, but I have the new one. So I gave it to her. Then she started going through the question on I-485 like have I been arrested etc...
Then later she asked for the tax return. So we gave her for the past three years tax return. Then my husband asked if she needs the shared bank statement. So we gave her that too. She asked if we have any children. She did not see any of our pictures.

At the end, she said she approved my green card and will get a stamp on my passport. She took my current EAD and my advance parole. Then I talked to myself, may be I shouldn't give her my new Advance Parole just in case my stamp on the passport is not accepted by the immigration officer when I enter into the US since I will be travelling next week. But I hope it will work. When I got my passport back, I saw my last name was wrong. It was my maiden name. I told her my last name changed. She said it is ok. Then I said I may have problem to renew my driver license, insist her to change it. So she added my new last name next to my name she put on my passport then updated the form she has. So if you get a stamp, make sure your name is spelt correctly.

Good luck to everyone.

Now that you received/will soon receive your GC, how long is it before you can apply for citezenship? Did you get your GC within or outside of 2 years of marriage?

I am in the process of getting a GC through marriage to a US citizen. Does the countdown to citizenship start the minute I get the GC or do I have to be married for 2 years, and then start counting 3 years till I can apply for citizenship (In other words, what if I get a CG before our second anniversary.)

I am confused and don’t know where to look. If anyone could share or send me the url address where I can find the info, I would so appreciate it.

amishah said:
Did you submitted the medical with your application? did you had to do it again?

Yes, I submitted my medical with my application about 3 years ago. I did not know if I need the medical again or not. But just to be safe, I redid my medical. Probably I could argue with her that I don't need the new medical. Medical only valid for a year but a memo on USCIS website saying they extended till 2006. But I don't want to take the risk, plus I am travelling soon, I don't want to delay my process.

e17345 said:
Now that you received/will soon receive your GC, how long is it before you can apply for citezenship? Did you get your GC within or outside of 2 years of marriage?

I am in the process of getting a GC through marriage to a US citizen. Does the countdown to citizenship start the minute I get the GC or do I have to be married for 2 years, and then start counting 3 years till I can apply for citizenship (In other words, what if I get a CG before our second anniversary.)

I am confused and don’t know where to look. If anyone could share or send me the url address where I can find the info, I would so appreciate it.

I don't really know how long I have to wait to get my citezenship. I heard my friend said 5 years. I am not sure if it is true or not. He got his green card through work. I would like to know the answer too.
I submitted my I485 in Nov 2002. I have been married for about 3 years already. It is very slow in Orlando. In this forum, I saw some people got their green card very fast in other city.

Please let me know the process for citenzship too.

SJOrl said:
I don't really know how long I have to wait to get my citezenship. I heard my friend said 5 years. I am not sure if it is true or not. He got his green card through work. I would like to know the answer too.
I submitted my I485 in Nov 2002. I have been married for about 3 years already. It is very slow in Orlando. In this forum, I saw some people got their green card very fast in other city.

Please let me know the process for citenzship too.
If your get your green card through employment, you have to wait for 5 years to file for your citizsenship. If its through marriage, its 3 years. The count down starts the day your green card was originally issued which could very well be an unconditional. You can always file for your citizenship 90 days before your 5 or 3 years are up.

The process for citizenship is very simple. You need to file form N-400. Very minimal documentation is required and its pretty simple. I don't remember all the requirements on top of my head but the form is pretty clear on filing instructions.

Good Luck and congratulation!

EricNeesGC said:
If your get your green card through employment, you have to wait for 5 years to file for your citizsenship. If its through marriage, its 3 years. The count down starts the day your green card was originally issued which could very well be an unconditional. You can always file for your citizenship 90 days before your 5 or 3 years are up.

The process for citizenship is very simple. You need to file form N-400. Very minimal documentation is required and its pretty simple. I don't remember all the requirements on top of my head but the form is pretty clear on filing instructions.

Good Luck and congratulation!

Hi EricNeesGC
I have not received my physical green card yet. I have a stamp on my passport. Is the 3 years start from the date on my stamp or the actual green card issue date? Thanks for your info.

SJOrl said:
Hi EricNeesGC
I have not received my physical green card yet. I have a stamp on my passport. Is the 3 years start from the date on my stamp or the actual green card issue date? Thanks for your info.
Date on the stamp