AOS Interview Timeline

Permanent Resident Card Timeline

Here's my timeline.

Married to US Citizen

03/20/07 (Day 1) – Applied
03/26/07 (Day 7) – Notice of Action (Application Received) for I-130 (Petition), I-485 (Residency) and I-765 (Employment Authorization)
03/29/07 (Day 10) – Biometrics Letter (Finger Prints Appointment) Received
04/12/07 (Day 25) – Biometrics Appointment
05/30/07 (Day 63) – Interview Appointment Letter I-485 Received
06/06/07 (Day 70) – Card Production Ordered I-765 (Employment Authorization Card) Email
06/11/07 (Day 75) – Employment Authorization Card Received
07/16/07 (Day 110) – I-485 Interview
08/06/07 (Day 131) – I - 130 Approval Notice and I-485 Welcome Email
08/08/07 (Day 133) – Card Production Ordered I-485 (Permanent Resident Card) Email
08/11/07 (Day 136) – I-130 Approval Notice and I-485 Welcome Letter Received
08/14/07 (Day 139) – Permanent Resident Card Received (Conditional for Two Years)

Last edited by a moderator:
DO- San Diego

Here is my time line

I 130 approved based on marriage to a USC
I had to wait to file for AOS as I was doing my J1 waiver
I 485 & I 760 filed 6-5-07
Biometrics done 7-5-07
RFE for I 864 affidavit of support 7-7-07
LUD 7-18-07
RFE reply received by USCIS 7-19-07
interview letter notice dated July 27
Interview date Sep 6
Card production ordered 8-22-07

My Interview at garden City 8/28/07

DO: Garden City, NY

B1/B2 overstayed.Wife became US Citizen.Self Filing.
10/26/2006 File I-130 to VSC.
05/17/07 Recieved Naturalization Certificate.
06/07/07 Sent I-130 Receipt, I-485/I-765/I864 /I864 Joint Sponsor.by Fedex. Day 1
06/08/07 dropped in Chicago. Day 2
06/18/07 NOA I-485/I-765. Day 12
06/19/07 checks cleared. Day 13
06/19/07 FP Notice I-485/I-765 Day 13
06/30/07 FP Done..... Day 24
07/16/07 IL ND Day 40
08/05/07 I-130 Approved. Day 60
08/27/07 EAD Card Received Day 87
08/28/07 Approved!!!!! Said will get mail in 6-8 weeks.Day 88
10/31/07 Card Production Ordered. Day 150 :)
11/13/07 Green Card Recieved. Day 163 :)

Our Interview was scheduled at 8.30 am . We dropped the letter at counter #2 at 8.00 am. About 8.30 they called names for about 15 couples and led us to the second floor. We sat there untill 9.45 and we were asked for by a nice calm man in his mid 50's. He greeted and led us to his office and swore us in. Since my wife was pregnant he did not ask her anything. He went thru my application and asked me to give him my birth certificate, my wifes naturalization certificate, my I-130 approval notice, our marriage certificate, my wife's ss#,my ob/gyn letter, and having asked all this he asked for joint a/c to which I gave the lease and copy of our credit card and bank cards. Also I gave him our joint verizon utility bill.

After that he asked us about our salaries and I said my wife makes 20k and than he asked my income. I said that I make 15k. Further I said that the lawyers I consulted told me my salary is not considered. he said not true. And he told me that I did not need a joint sponsor and that our incomes for 2007 will suffice. he made me do the correction on I-485 and made me sign the forms. He removed the I864 from the joint sponsor and gave it back to me. Later he told me that everything looks fine now. He arranged his papers in the file and asked me for our marraige date and the due date for the baby. After that he asked us the usual no questions and said that everything looks fine but there is some another file that the MO office mailed with some temp number and once that will come in he will get the card to be mailed out. One good clue was that he mentioned that my security clearance were complete. I asked him if I could get the stamp today or not? I wanted to travel sometime soon and he said that I should not, untill I recieve the mail and the card .He said he cant stamp the passport as he needs to wait for the another file that was sent out to reach him and he will compile everything and that we should wait for mail in 2-6 weeks. Than we can try to follow up. He said that he will look forward to receiving the file some time this week. He removed a sheet and wrote down my file number for his reference to follow up. I asked for his name and number so that If I do not get a reply I could follow up with him. He said that they dont like people calling them and said to call him in 4-6 months in case I did not get anything in the mail. I noted his name and asked him if my case was approved. He said everything looks fine for now and he will wait for the other file to reach him to approve my application. I asked him if I will need to come back again to this he said no need. I said should I go and celebrate and he said yes of course. he wrote in my passport I-485 pending.. Kindly please give us your feedback as to where do we stand now.....

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all my i-485 was approved on 08/27/07 here is my time line

detroit,mi
01/28/07 sent i130.i485
02/02/07 notice dated i130.i485
02/21/07 fp
04/21/07 interview approved pending name check
08/27/07 received email welcome letter,card production ordered
08/30/07 received i-485 approval in mail
.....waiting for pr card ....

Probably not the best place, but again, maybe it is, since most people have writeup about their interview here.

I am about to send my passport for renewal this weekend (Sept 8) and I have my interview on Oct 12. I was wondering, incase I don't get my renewed passport by that time, should I still go for the interview or ask for a reschedule ? DO I need to have my passport with me during the interview?

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks !

DO San Antonio
The interview was yesterday at 2.30pm, we got there at 2pm and went through the security and went to the waiting room, nobody even checked or told us what to do with the “invitation” letter, but luckily I asked the lady at the information desk and she instructed me to give the letter to the guards, they put me on the list and I signed it. And 5 minutes later an IO is calling my name. Together with him me and my husband took the elevator to the third floor. Inside the elevator the IO asked us how we were and where we were coming from (small talk…). When we got into his room he told us to sit down (and didn’t even swear us in…. psssst!). He saw we brought 2 big folders of documents and 2 photo albums, so he right away asked for one of the albums (he didn’t check our ids). While looking at the photos, he told us we were his last interviewees (and he kind of let us know he was already tired…. maybe he just wanted to take us off guard… they have their tricks), but going through the photos he started asking questions: how old we were, where we had met, how long this whole dating had been going on for, he asked about some particular places in the photos, and made some nice comments, he even told me I was very photogenic. There was a photo of my parents and my husband, he thought it was his parents, and I clarified these were my parents, and then we talked about my husband’s trip to Poland. He asked him how long he stayed there. He asked about my brother (he was in the photo), and commented on my dog (he thought it was my husband’s dog because he was holding him like a baby he, he, he... cute). He also asked my husband about his job (he is a realtor), so he asked about the real estate market. He asked him where he was born, when he moved to Austin, why, where he lived after moving here. He also said that we travel a lot and that maybe he should start traveling, too. Then he glanced at the other album (our wedding photo album), asked where we got married and if we had any guests. He also asked me about my job. Oh one more thing, at the beginning of the interview his first comment was that my husband was nervous, so he explained that it was just the anticipation of the interview, so the IO said that usually people think that the IO is going to be a jerk (???), we didn’t say anything, just smiled.
Then he asked if we have anything that would prove that we live together so that he could include it in his file, so I asked if car insurance and joint bank account statements would do, he said these would be fine, we said we had also mail, he didn’t want it, didn’t even look at it. (We had many more docs and proofs but I guess it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.) So he stapled those 2 things in the file, and he also was flipping through the file continuously, like without any reason. He asked for my passport, looked carefully at it, took my I-94 out, and he said that he would stamp my passport, the visa should come in 2-3 weeks, but just in case if it got stuck somewhere, he is putting that stamp, it serves as a green card and is valid for a year. And he also asked me if I had any travel documents or work permit, I said I only had a work permit. First he said he didn’t need it, but then he said that he would take it because I wouldn’t need it anymore since this stamp also serves as EAD. He gave me my passport back and asked me 2 “NO-questions”, he used his words and asked if I had ever been arrested and if I had any problems with the immigration here or in my country. And all of a sudden he has a phone call and leaves the room “for 2 minutes”. We tried not to talk during this time he was gone (who knows maybe it was some trick, maybe we were being recorded), he came back after 10 minutes!!!. He apologized. The last thing he asked was how long we had been married, and explained the removal of the conditions (wrote it on a piece of paper for us), and he was stressing that they had to do it to make sure the marriage is for real (“lots of people come here and are not in real marriage”). Then he thanked us, and took us back to the elevator, went down with us, wished us a good day The interview lasted 15 minutes not counting the time when he left the office

PS. I just wanted to add that the IO told me apply for SSN after the visa comes, but since I already have it, to wait for the removal of the restriction on it.
I also got 2 LUDs (the same message 2 times) 1,5 hours after the interview. The message was "Notice welcoming the new permanent resident sent".

Once again, I want to thank everyone for all your help/advice and any nice, encouraging words. Without this forum this whole process would have been so much harder or more expensive (= lawyer). I learned so much and thanks to this we could prepare well. Thank you!!!

Greencard for Mom in 2.5 months (AOS)

First of all, I wish to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum, and particularly those who responded to my specific questions and doubts. Without your help, we would not have made this happen.

Mother arrived in the US: Feb 8, 2007 on visitor visa.
I-94 expiration date: Aug 7, 2007

Here's the timeline for my (visiting) mother's greencard:
Jul 2, 2007 - Mailed Application (I-130,I-485)
Jul 5, 2007 - Received Date
Jul 12, 2007 - Date on Receipt Notice
Jul 31, 2007 - Date on Biometrics/FP Appointment Notice
Jul 31, 2007 - Date on Interview Appointment Notice
Aug 28, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment (San Jose)
Sep 19, 2007 - Interview Appointment (approved and passport stamped)

The interview was almost a non-event. The officer was extremely courteous, and just verified all the paperwork one more time.

Once again, thank you !!!!!!

Wow...Congratulations...that was real fast, allodd. I didn't know GC process for parents is that fast. Generally it take longer since the visa is not immediately available.

Btw guys I've got my GC in the mail today

Good luck

Thanks to everybody for all information. Dealing with with loooong process can be very frustrating!!! I'm on day 81 and still haven't had any updates on the EAD!!!

Do ?

I'm planning to submit my application but after check the timeline, I don't know which DO to choose. I'm living in North Carolina, but I will have to move to Baltimore, Maryland soon. the timeline for people in North Carolina was too long, I don't want to have my file sent there as I need the green card to go back to my country for emergency reason. Can I have my application sent to other places besides where I live ( such as California)? I'm willing to go anywhere for the interview. Anyone knows please help!!Thanks in advance.

Do?

I'm planning to submit my application but after check the timeline, I don't know which DO to choose. I'm living in North Carolina, but I will have to move to Baltimore, Maryland soon. the timeline for people in North Carolina was too long, I don't want to have my file sent there as I need the green card to go back to my country for emergency reason. Can I have my application sent to other places besides where I live ( such as California)? I'm willing to go anywhere for the interview. Anyone knows please help!!Thanks in advance.

Do?

I was wondering if someone has received AOS interview letter from Garden City in purple and if it was with letterhead?
I've received a strange one in colored purple paper without any letterhead.

my timeline

I've been reading this thread and decided to post my info as well:

DO: Philadelphia
I-485 sent 07/20/07
RD 07/21/07
ND 08/01/07
FP appt 08/18/07
Interview 10/25/07 - approved pending Namecheck:(
.....Waiting

DO San Antonio
The interview was yesterday at 2.30pm, we got there at 2pm and went through the security and went to the waiting room, nobody even checked or told us what to do with the “invitation” letter, but luckily I asked the lady at the information desk and she instructed me to give the letter to the guards, they put me on the list and I signed it. And 5 minutes later an IO is calling my name. Together with him me and my husband took the elevator to the third floor. Inside the elevator the IO asked us how we were and where we were coming from (small talk…). When we got into his room he told us to sit down (and didn’t even swear us in…. psssst!). He saw we brought 2 big folders of documents and 2 photo albums, so he right away asked for one of the albums (he didn’t check our ids). While looking at the photos, he told us we were his last interviewees (and he kind of let us know he was already tired…. maybe he just wanted to take us off guard… they have their tricks), but going through the photos he started asking questions: how old we were, where we had met, how long this whole dating had been going on for, he asked about some particular places in the photos, and made some nice comments, he even told me I was very photogenic. There was a photo of my parents and my husband, he thought it was his parents, and I clarified these were my parents, and then we talked about my husband’s trip to Poland. He asked him how long he stayed there. He asked about my brother (he was in the photo), and commented on my dog (he thought it was my husband’s dog because he was holding him like a baby he, he, he... cute). He also asked my husband about his job (he is a realtor), so he asked about the real estate market. He asked him where he was born, when he moved to Austin, why, where he lived after moving here. He also said that we travel a lot and that maybe he should start traveling, too. Then he glanced at the other album (our wedding photo album), asked where we got married and if we had any guests. He also asked me about my job. Oh one more thing, at the beginning of the interview his first comment was that my husband was nervous, so he explained that it was just the anticipation of the interview, so the IO said that usually people think that the IO is going to be a jerk (???), we didn’t say anything, just smiled.
Then he asked if we have anything that would prove that we live together so that he could include it in his file, so I asked if car insurance and joint bank account statements would do, he said these would be fine, we said we had also mail, he didn’t want it, didn’t even look at it. (We had many more docs and proofs but I guess it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.) So he stapled those 2 things in the file, and he also was flipping through the file continuously, like without any reason. He asked for my passport, looked carefully at it, took my I-94 out, and he said that he would stamp my passport, the visa should come in 2-3 weeks, but just in case if it got stuck somewhere, he is putting that stamp, it serves as a green card and is valid for a year. And he also asked me if I had any travel documents or work permit, I said I only had a work permit. First he said he didn’t need it, but then he said that he would take it because I wouldn’t need it anymore since this stamp also serves as EAD. He gave me my passport back and asked me 2 “NO-questions”, he used his words and asked if I had ever been arrested and if I had any problems with the immigration here or in my country. And all of a sudden he has a phone call and leaves the room “for 2 minutes”. We tried not to talk during this time he was gone (who knows maybe it was some trick, maybe we were being recorded), he came back after 10 minutes!!!. He apologized. The last thing he asked was how long we had been married, and explained the removal of the conditions (wrote it on a piece of paper for us), and he was stressing that they had to do it to make sure the marriage is for real (“lots of people come here and are not in real marriage”). Then he thanked us, and took us back to the elevator, went down with us, wished us a good day The interview lasted 15 minutes not counting the time when he left the office

PS. I just wanted to add that the IO told me apply for SSN after the visa comes, but since I already have it, to wait for the removal of the restriction on it.
I also got 2 LUDs (the same message 2 times) 1,5 hours after the interview. The message was "Notice welcoming the new permanent resident sent".

Once again, I want to thank everyone for all your help/advice and any nice, encouraging words. Without this forum this whole process would have been so much harder or more expensive (= lawyer). I learned so much and thanks to this we could prepare well. Thank you!!!

Congrats.