AOS Interview Success (kind of)

jess2600

Registered Users (C)
My husband had his AOS interview on Monday at the Los Angeles district office. We arrived a bit too early and were told to go grab something to eat. We found the cafateria and grabbed some breakfast, just as a warning the food was horrible. We had more time to kill so we bought some mags. At 10:00 AM we went to the room we were scheduled in (interview time is at 1015). Around 10:30 my husband was called, he did his fingerprints and then we followed out interviewer into her office. She swore us in and then asked for our documents in both names, his medical, and I-94. She asked how we meet, when we got married (she asked this several times), and who came to the wedding. Oh, she asked me where I was born and how my husband came here (he came here as a dependent on his fathers H1, and she said good you came here legally you saved yourself a $1000 today). I asked her if she wanted to see pics and she said yes, she looked over them and really liked some. Then she asked for my support docs and taxes, this is were the speed bump problem came. I was in college the past 3 yrs and didn't make enough. I thought as long as I am making enough money now (which I am) no problem, I was wrong. She said we need a co sponsor, come back on Sept 30th. We were almost there, my husband could have recieved his perm residency yesterday. Now, just got to ask family for help (hate asking, got to do it).

I am going through the exact same thing.

I have been in school and only working part time.

they rejected my application immediately.

I finally found a joint sponsor and last week I submitted the application.

also at Los Angeles, believe it or not.

I couldn't ask my family because they would freak if they found out my wife was not exactly legal :eek:

One of my really good friends helped me out.

My advice to you is ask around a little. You never know, someone you least expect my just say yes. Also try to find someone who is an immigrant, or related to an immigrant. they understand your situation better than you think. But most importantly is not to give up.

I would be happy to help you out if I could. sorry :(

I talked to a lawyer about this

the law basically says that you have to prove you are over 125% of the poverty level over the previous three years.

I think in most parts of the country you can use your assets if you are a little under 125%, but not LA. they will reject your app completely whether it is right away or at the interview.

anyway I wish you the best of luck.

please keep me posted.

not true

I think it depends on the interviewing officer. The interviewing officer needs to be impressed that the immigrant wouldnt be a strain on the public funds. In our case both of us together didnt make above the 125% level in the last 3yrs. But currently both of us hold jobs the income of which far exceeds the 125% limit as we are recent college grads who got full time jobs after graduating last yr.

For the latest year(2003) we were just neear the 125% mark and we(when we added both our income) had some money in the bank that made it reach 125%. We were below in 2002 and 2001.

We got our case approved in July. So whoever says that the 125% limit has to be reached for all the 3yrs is
wrong.

Co Sponsor

I too think to depends on the interviewer. As I've read a few posts in forums from people in the same situation. Some interviewers let it go and others want to see all 3 tax years. It could have been worse, we could have been denied rather getting than getting the extension. I hope we have understanding family members as I do hate to ask this huge favor from them. We have a month to find our co sponsor, I am alittle worried though (but I do believe I have a person or 2 that will do this favor).

jess2600 said:
My husband had his AOS interview on Monday at the Los Angeles district office. We arrived a bit too early and were told to go grab something to eat. We found the cafateria and grabbed some breakfast, just as a warning the food was horrible. We had more time to kill so we bought some mags. At 10:00 AM we went to the room we were scheduled in (interview time is at 1015). Around 10:30 my husband was called, he did his fingerprints and then we followed out interviewer into her office. She swore us in and then asked for our documents in both names, his medical, and I-94. She asked how we meet, when we got married (she asked this several times), and who came to the wedding. Oh, she asked me where I was born and how my husband came here (he came here as a dependent on his fathers H1, and she said good you came here legally you saved yourself a $1000 today). I asked her if she wanted to see pics and she said yes, she looked over them and really liked some. Then she asked for my support docs and taxes, this is were the speed bump problem came. I was in college the past 3 yrs and didn't make enough. I thought as long as I am making enough money now (which I am) no problem, I was wrong. She said we need a co sponsor, come back on Sept 30th. We were almost there, my husband could have recieved his perm residency yesterday. Now, just got to ask family for help (hate asking, got to do it).

What do u suggest I bring on my interview??? Pics of what btw??THe wedding??

Aos

My husband and I brought everything that was asked of us in our interview letter (it's detailed). As for documents proving our marriage is in good faith we took what we had in each other's name (we didn't have too much), bank statement, info when we bought a car that is in both names, and insurance. We gave the interviewer a copy of each of these things (she didn't look too much at them). I asked her if she'd like to see photos and she did (took photos of our wedding and other pics of us). I had cards from family that they sent to the both of us, she wasn't interested in that. Main thing our interviewer wanted to see was the affidavit of support and taxes. Here is the list of what our interviewer asked us for.
1. His 1-94/passport
2. Medical
3. All docs we had in each others name
4. Pics
5. Affidavit of support (past 3 yr taxes, last 3 current pay stubs, and letter from my current employer).

sponsor

No, we didn't have a co sponosr. I thought my current income was the most important, which I've read from other and lawyers in forums. Some where in the same situation as me, going to school for the past 3 years and their current income was fine and they didn't need a sponsor. Guess it depends on the interviewer, but I should have had a sponsor just incase..that was my fault.

Thanks, just wondering because we did include a co-sponsor in my husbands application (I didn't meet the income level at all), and I was wondering if it will be an issue at the interview even though I included it.

it does seem to depend on the mood of the interviewer but also the location

in LA they seem to be way pickier about income.

find a co sponsor if you can

Found a co sponsor

Well we were in luck and found ourselves a co sponsor. My husband's Uncle was kind enough to do us this favor. He's a dentist and own his own clinics, so I am just worried about making sure we have all the evidence that they want for someone that is self employed. I just know I don't want to do another trip (or even if they will allow another trip). If anyone used or was a sponsor and owned their own business what info/evidence did you take to prove. Or is just tax info, W2's, and letter of employment (that they write themselves I guess). Thanks for the help!

owning your own business is good and bad

good because they can show a lot of income

bad because it is not always easy to prove to ins standards you own your own business

if he has a business bank account then that would really help

have him give you copies of business banking account, insurance policies, and anything else to prove his business is legitimate

good luck to you