AOS interview in San Francisco which ended by nothing

qim

Registered Users (C)
Hi, yesterday we had our AOS interview. It went rather smoothly, the officer was polite and actually asked less questions than we expected. Our impression is that the officer was satisfied by our answers.

But at the end he suddenly declared that we will receive a letter from USCIS soon (he said "in about a week"). When we asked why no decision right now, he said that he needs to do "few more checks". He added that if all checks are OK, we should receive GC by mail some time in September.

Important to note that I specifically asked whether delay is associated with FBI name check, and the officer said that "name check cleared".

When I asked whether 2nd interview a possibility, he said that "everything looked fine" and no additional info is needed.

He also took from my wife her original I-94, then grabbed her expired passport (we told him it expired) and wrote on one of the pages: "I-94 lifted" then my wife's A number and stamped the date.

I also told the officer about small error in my wife last name (which USCIS made long ago and which so far we were not able to correct), and he said he will fix it.

We are really puzzled: what all this means? What now? What if we don't hear from him in weeks, months, etc.?

The end like this was very unexpected; almost shocked, my wife asked the officer: should we celebrate or not, and he said: "you can celebrate when you receive your GC".

Any opinions? What do you guys think?

Thank you

Was the guy young? I believe this happens when you have a junior officer doing your adjustment. They can't give you a decision as their case needs to be checked over by their supervisor after you leave. If this is the case you you'll probably get the approval notice in the next week.

Good luck! Sounds like the interview went well.

I think Dr.'s explaination sounds right. Based on some posts in the past, seems like the supervisor will have to review and approve the case after the junior officer interviewed you. However, a young person is not necessary a junior officer though. I think you are ok as long as the dreaded NC is cleared. Just relax and give it a week. Or make an infopass a week later just in case you don't receive the letter by then.

Good luck

Thank you guys for your replies.

dr_lha said:
Was the guy young? I believe this happens when you have a junior officer doing your adjustment. They can't give you a decision as their case needs to be checked over by their supervisor after you leave. ...
dr_lha, you may be very right (hopefully, you are!), IO definitely looked young (hard to say exactly but may be between 24 and 28), younger than virtually any/all IOs I dealt with so far.

horiba said:
... Based on some posts in the past, seems like the supervisor will have to review and approve the case after the junior officer interviewed you. However, a young person is not necessary a junior officer though ...
horiba, in this case it well may be that the guy is both young and junior :)
I didn't know about those posts in past you mentioned (any links?). So far I believed that if delays are not because of those horrible name checks (from recent experience we both know them very well!) than it should be something related to insufficient info...

It looks like our case belongs to a third class of indecisions where case needs to be approved by a supervisor. Anybody else with such (or similar) experience? Please share with us. Thanks.

Oh, by the way, all LUDs are still same old, no one changed so far. Same about case status online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if they needed more info they most likely would have asked for it at the interview. Its pretty common for people to have an IO tell them that "your application is OK, but you need to send me document X before I can approve".

Status online is f***ed. You'll hopefully get a nice surprise "Welcome to America" letter in the mail soon. Just make sure your name is on your mailbox. ;)

horiba said:
I think Dr.'s explaination sounds right. Based on some posts in the past, seems like the supervisor will have to review and approve the case after the junior officer interviewed you. However, a young person is not necessary a junior officer though. I think you are ok as long as the dreaded NC is cleared. Just relax and give it a week. Or make an infopass a week later just in case you don't receive the letter by then.

Good luck

More than likely a procedural matter. The other day when chatting to an IO, he mentioned that their schedules are tighter than normal --- often they do not have time to run final checks before clients arrive for the interview, and then have to do so after interviews for the day/week are concluded.

Do not sweat this --- you will likely hear from them soon.

qim, any news yet?

I also submitted the 130/485 2 weeks ago, that's why I am keeping an eye on your case :D just to get some idea how things would go.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks.

Balto

No, Balto, unfortunately nothing new by now. May be when IO says "week" we should understand this as "month"? :) On a more serious note, having nothing so far, I started to think that maybe after officer corrected my wife last name, he was obliged to send to FBI name check again (what a prospecive: to face same nightmare 2nd time, but this time, for AOS, would be no 1447b, only WOM, and after a lot of other attempts).

What's amazing, that no any change in LUD. So far whatever action was done, it was quickly reflected in LUD (next day after FP, in two days after INFOPASS & electronic request to correct name). But now, 10 days after the interview - and no change! It looks like nobody even touched our file after the interview (may be that's right: everybody's gone because of Labor Day Holiday).

If nothing changes, we probably will go to INFOPASS again at end of next week.

It was good to hear from you Balto. This "Family" forum sees now more and more people who previously were fighting through courts with that terrible NC thing (and exchanged knowledge and ideas in "Naturalization"), became USCs, and now working to get GCs for their loved once.

Good luck with the AOS application for your wife. By the way, ari4u created convenient AOS timeline table that contains ND and interview dates sorted by states/DO. Maryland cases are also there. Take a look here: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=188386

N-400 Interview: April 2005, 1447b: February 2006, Naturalized: May 2006

Are the dates in your signature right? That is so fast, less than 3 weeks between ND and interview notice and an interview within 90 days.

Dates are correct... Indeed USCIS interview notice came quickly but from a timeline table this isn't that uncommon in California (I think so far CA record was in San Diego and was 54 days between ND and interview date).

eddie_d said:
Are the dates in your signature right? That is so fast, less than 3 weeks between ND and interview notice and an interview within 90 days.

Things have been moving quickly here in cali. Our entire process was jsut over 2 months. (we are in southern california see timeline).

Qim I hope you here good news soon! :)

Update on our case

Hi, guys,

There have been certain developments since my last post, however we are definitely not there yet...

First, on 9/5 an email came saying that on 9/1 my I-130 was approved. This was of course a good news, but what about my wife's I-485? From reading other cases, my understanding has been that the "approved 130 - pending 485" combination was typical for cases with NC pending. However, on the interview we were told that NC cleared. So, my guess was that the officer finally corrected my wife's last name and sent for a second NC, however this logic looked somewhat suspicious because I-485 LUD remained unchanged since July.

So, on 9/8 we went to INFOPASS again. In there, we were explained that "case is still under review by the interviewing officer". We were also told that my wife last name remained same incorrect (so, things looked like after the interview our IO didn't touch my wife's file). We expressed our concerns to the officer, and she gave us USCIS form G-14 and suggested that we fill it and write a letter to our interviewing officer on the back of the form. So we did, she gave us a copy, and we left.

Now, waiting again...

Question to all, please: does anybody know about other cases where NC cleared and I-130 approved but I-485 pending?

Thanks.

Meet the Fockers!

qim said:
Hi, guys,

There have been certain developments since my last post, however we are definitely not there yet...

First, on 9/5 an email came saying that on 9/1 my I-130 was approved. This was of course a good news, but what about my wife's I-485? From reading other cases, my understanding has been that the "approved 130 - pending 485" combination was typical for cases with NC pending. However, on the interview we were told that NC cleared. So, my guess was that the officer finally corrected my wife's last name and sent for a second NC, however this logic looked somewhat suspicious because I-485 LUD remained unchanged since July.

So, on 9/8 we went to INFOPASS again. In there, we were explained that "case is still under review by the interviewing officer". We were also told that my wife last name remained same incorrect (so, things looked like after the interview our IO didn't touch my wife's file). We expressed our concerns to the officer, and she gave us USCIS form G-14 and suggested that we fill it and write a letter to our interviewing officer on the back of the form. So we did, she gave us a copy, and we left.

Now, waiting again...

Question to all, please: does anybody know about other cases where NC cleared and I-130 approved but I-485 pending?

Thanks.
What can I say, damn it! These fockers are really messing up big time! We did the FP yesterday, and reading your story makes us uneasy and realize that it is not over until you get the card. Seeing our tax $$ at work in this way makes me speechless!

Best of luck, qim!

Balto

Thank you Balto.

I think you will not have the kinds of problems we do; please don't feel uneasy about this.

First, while we were probably lucky to get the interview so quickly, we were definitely unlucky when USCIS misspelled my wife's last name and then (after over 3 month now) we have not been able to make them to correct this, despite our numerous attempts. This is rather exception which I hope doesn't take place in your case.

The other thing was that our very young (and rather friendly) officer unexpectedly ended our good-going interview by saying that "I will need to do few more checks, and you will hear from us in about a week". He then confirmed that NC was cleared. Since then (8/23), I-130 was approved but not a word about I-485.

This I think is also exception. The problem is that we don't know what the problem is. We don't have any info from USCIS about what it is they are checking, how long would it take, and why didn't they do their checks before the interview. This isn't typical at all for cases where NC was cleared. On this forum, I repeatedly ask about any similar experience, but got nothing so far in response.

Good luck with your application. Now that FP is done, I hope you will get the interview notice soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the last status?

Hi,
I have a similar situation and was wondering the last status of your case?
Hope you got good news!

Laruzo

Approved

Laruzo, your asked this just in time.

Yesterday (exactly in a month after the interview) we received standard "Welcome" letter from USCIS. It in particular stated that my wife's adjustment of status application was approved and that she should receive her GC within 3 weeks. We also received another letter, from DO Director, where he basically wrote that because AOS application was approved, my wife isn't eligible for AP (form I-131) anymore.

(Both letters came by regular mail; contrary to our previously approved I-130, we didn't receive any email from USCIS; also no LUD change this time, I-485 LUD is still 7/26/06. This demonstrates that while LUDs can be useful at times, applicants probably should not put a lot of trust to those LUDs as well as other electronic communication with USCIS).

So things now seem to be over. We still do not know why there was no decision on the interview, as well as why it then took almost a month to approve the case. I think it was important that we went to INFOPASS and submitted G-14 (I described details in one of my previous posts).

I wrote "seem to be over" (rather than simply "over") above because i'm still not sure whether, when GC arrives, it will show correct last name on it. Both letters use now correct name though.

This forum has been valuable source of information to us, both in terms of reading numerous posts/stories/recommendations and through the answers we received from many members. We are very grateful to ari4u, Jane Green, and all others who helped with an opinion, experience, and/or advice. I also thank Balto for his vivid interest to our case. Once again, thank you guys/girls very much, this is a great place to give and get help and support!

I didn't post any details on how my wife and I were preparing to the interview, mainly because this forum already has a lot of excellent information on this (for example, great detailed description by ari4u). But if there is an interest, I can share our experience as well.

Good luck to all, and thank you again.

Happy for you guys!

Hey that's great news. Cheers!!!
Hope you guys get the green card before three weeks :) Even If I don't know you guys I am sure you guys deserved a this kind of relief.

About my experience:

After we had our interview the officer lady told me that she was gonna double-check everything and told me to expect recieving my GC in 2 weeks and If I don't recieve the GC, I was going to recieve my EAD at least. This was 13 days ago.

It has been 13 days after the interview and I recieved an e-mail today stating that USCIS approved my EAD case and I will recieve my EAD. I did not recieve the EAD before since my j-1 visa 2-year foreign residency requirement waiver files were not found by USCIS till I gave another copy of the waiver approval notice to the IO lady during the interview (I already sent it when I filed though). I could not get an Interim EAD because I had to wait 90 days after they had recieved my answer to RFE.

Anyways I am happy I am to recieve my EAD :p but confused :confused: not getting the GC after a GC interview and recieving the EAD instead after 150 days filing it. If I am going to recieve the GC why would I need the EAD ????? You told that they dismissed the AP case of yours since your wife is going to recieve the GC and wont need it anymore. I might face a FRAUD Interview and even the idea of it is making me SICK :( ...

I am sure you guys had the same concerns and now it is all past . Yet just wanted to share my concern too. So ppl can read this thread and continue worring about their cases which will keep them focused on the details.

Even you look 99% real and a 100% real couple and IO is very friendly. that IO might want to have you come for a second interview if you miss some details like changing the addresses on you Drivers License after you move which will bring some WHY , WHY not questions to their minds. Since It was the only problem throughout our interview. We answered all fine but DID it really satisfy the officer? One can never be sure...Isn't that the problem here at this forum NOONE is really sure about anything since the day recieving an approval notice. I hope we all here have a chance to live the same happy moments you guys and many others already had here after recieving an e-mail or an actual mail. Till that day I will continue worring about the case and having concerns about it

BUT I am, I was tired man, I was really tired of sleepless nights dreaming to be able to work again and feel like a MAN again. I am happy I will recieve the EAD. I hope I will recieve the GC so I can travel without any concerns about having problems at the airport.

;) All be good!

one more question?

Hey again,

Did you apply for EAD when you file all the other 485 130 131 forms?
If so what did happen?

Congratz, qim!!!

qim said:
Laruzo, your asked this just in time.

Yesterday (exactly in a month after the interview) we received standard "Welcome" letter from USCIS. It in particular stated that my wife's adjustment of status application was approved and that she should receive her GC within 3 weeks. We also received another letter, from DO Director, where he basically wrote that because AOS application was approved, my wife isn't eligible for AP (form I-131) anymore.

(Both letters came by regular mail; contrary to our previously approved I-130, we didn't receive any email from USCIS; also no LUD change this time, I-485 LUD is still 7/26/06. This demonstrates that while LUDs can be useful at times, applicants probably should not put a lot of trust to those LUDs as well as other electronic communication with USCIS).

So things now seem to be over. We still do not know why there was no decision on the interview, as well as why it then took almost a month to approve the case. I think it was important that we went to INFOPASS and submitted G-14 (I described details in one of my previous posts).

I wrote "seem to be over" (rather than simply "over") above because i'm still not sure whether, when GC arrives, it will show correct last name on it. Both letters use now correct name though.

This forum has been valuable source of information to us, both in terms of reading numerous posts/stories/recommendations and through the answers we received from many members. We are very grateful to ari4u, Jane Green, and all others who helped with an opinion, experience, and/or advice. I also thank Balto for his vivid interest to our case. Once again, thank you guys/girls very much, this is a great place to give and get help and support!

I didn't post any details on how my wife and I were preparing to the interview, mainly because this forum already has a lot of excellent information on this (for example, great detailed description by ari4u). But if there is an interest, I can share our experience as well.

Good luck to all, and thank you again.

I haven't checked the thread for a while and today I came and see the good news. So happy for you! Congratz and enjoy your freedom :D

On the other hand, my wife was fingerprinted on 9/13, and we received a letter on 9/15 saying that to speed up the process, our case was xfered to CIS California Center, I knew immediately then that some A$$ in CIS did not do their job right, we are on the east coast for god sake! :mad: I called that 800 number and was told everything was fine (what a joke!). Then yesterday we got another letter from the CA center saying that our case was xfered to Chicago office because that office has jurisdition (another joke! I am sure there is a letter coming soon for transfering our case to Baltimore, where it supposed to be in the first place). Once again, it proves these A$$e$ are so capable of phuking up whatever they are paid to do, yet no one is held accountable for their action. What a great place to work :eek:

Thanks, qim, for sharing your info, this is what makes this forum so great!

Balto

Thank you guys for your good words.

laruzo said:
... I might face a FRAUD Interview and even the idea of it is making me SICK ...
Even ... a 100% real couple ... IO might want to have you come for a second interview if you miss some details ...
First of all, you do not know whether 2nd interview will indeed take place in your case.

Second, if it will, 2nd interview is not necessarily FRAUD interview (not at all), and there are stories on this forum telling about fast approval after the 2nd interview.

Third, FRAUD interview (which I don't believe is likely in your case) is also not the end... Indeed, on a FRAUD interview, husband and wife are questioned separately but if your marriage is 100% real AND YOU ARE WELL PREPARED, you have all the chances not to be caught. A great source on how to deal with this is a book by Attorney Ilona Bray, "Fiancé & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration", 3rd edition, Jul 2005. It in particular lists a lot of typical questions spouses are asked during FRAUD interview. Anyone can take this book in a library or buy in many bookstores or online (www.nolo.com).

In addition, 13 days after the interview is not a lot, especially since the officer mentioned the 2 weeks timeframe.

Overall, I do not think that you should worry very much. If, in a week from now, you still have no new info on your I-485, I suggest that you go to INFOPASS and hear what they say. Possibly, you will need to submit G-14 (very easy form) on the back of which you would write brief letter asking to expedite the processing. We did exactly this, and we believe it worked.

laruzo said:
Did you apply for EAD when you file all the other 485 130 131 forms?
No.

Balto said:
... my wife was fingerprinted on 9/13, and we received a letter on 9/15 saying that to speed up the process, our case was xfered to CIS California Center, I knew immediately then that some A$$ in CIS did not do their job right, we are on the east coast for god sake! I called that 800 number and was told everything was fine (what a joke!). Then yesterday we got another letter from the CA center saying that our case was xfered to Chicago office because that office has jurisdition (another joke! I am sure there is a letter coming soon for transfering our case to Baltimore, where it supposed to be in the first place)...
You know Balto... this adds to already huge collection of senseless/ridiculous/outrageous steps and actions by various USCIS reps... However while being highly uncomfortable, this actually doesn't mean something bad for your case. But I think you need to find out what is the office for you to go INFOPASS. You wouldn't want to fly to Chicago to INFOPASS, right? I think it might be worth for you to go to INFOPASS at your local (Baltimore) office, ask about status of your case, then show both letters and ask what's going on and why and possibly ask to transfer back to Baltimore... You can possibly say that you want your case in same place where you can go to INFOPASS, something like that...

Good luck to you guys.

Oh, nearly forgot... Today I received one more approval of my I-130 from USCIS. Yes, this isn't a joke. It is exacly same approval NOA that I received at the beginning of September. The only difference is ND; then it was 9/1/6, now it is 9/20/6. What can I possibly say? See above.