AOS Interview Experience: San Jose

ari4u

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview today morning at 830 AM, it lasted for 30 minutes and it was painless. I got my GC approved (CR-6) !!!!!!! and also got the I-551 stamp on my passport. I was told to expect the plastic card in a month. Yippeeeeee........ !!!! :)

This was my interview outcome in brief... if you are interested in more details of the interview preparation and the actual interview experience, pl read the next post in this thread.

I would like to thank everyone (especially Cherr1980) for keeping my sanity in check throughout this process and for the support and guidance. This forum has been a tremendous source of information, education, advice, help and moral support. Thanks everyone, you are awesome! :)

Interview Preparation:
The final interview preparation started three days ago with assembling of documents, taking copies and sorting them into different files and folders. It was a big battle between my jetlag and getting prepared for the interview. Anyways, here are the folder contents.
Folder 1: All original documents and certificates including passports, I-94, SS card and all USCIS receipts.
Folder 2: Joint legal documents that show both our names (I had utility bills, rent receipts, bank statements, personal checkbook with both our names printed, Health and Car Insurance documents, lease agreements).
Folder 3: Our IRS documents for 2002, 2003, 2004.
Folder 4: All receipts and bills in our individual names.
Folder 5: Our Pay stubs from the last couple of years
Folder 6: My business files (Business License, Invoices, receipts).
Folder 7: Copies of documents from Folder 1,2,3,6 and it also had a copy of the AOS package i submitted in July.

I printed over 50 pics at home last night to create a consolidated photo album with pics from before we got married and after we got married. We also carried our wedding album and DVD's just in case.

Day of Interview:
We reached the USCIS office at 8AM, cleared security, got into the room, slipped the interview letter in the slot and waited for my name to be called. After a wait of 30 mins, my name was called and we were walked to the interview room by the officer. He was in his late fifties, gray hair, kind of serious and he meant business. He asked us to take our seats and went around took his seat. Then he stood up, asked me to stand up, raise my right hand for the oath.

Once done with the oath, we sat down and he asked to see our ID's and we showed our DL. He had my file open in front of him and i recognized my scrawny handwriting. He compared the address on the file with the DL and kept check marking the form after he verified the details. Then he asked to see my passport, I-94 and SS Card. He verified the application form with information from my passport, SS card and check marked the file after verification. He said the I-94 numbers dont match and i told him that I got a new I-94 when i entered US last week, he scratched the old I-94 number from my file and entered the new one. He asked for my EAD and kept it aside. Next, he opened my passport, located the I-94 and tore along the perforated strip that was stapled to my passport (I could hear bells ring in my head. This could either mean that my GC was going to be approved or like some applicants whose I-94 was taken even eventhough they were not approved as they were stuck in the FBI namecheck).

He cornered me with a question as to why my birth was not registered and i had to explain that the hospital i was born in did not follow the birth and death record procedures back then and after replying to a few of his twisted questions, he was satisfied and moved on with the other questions. He asked us if we have kids and if this is our first marriage for both of us. I then had to verify my date of birth, parents first names, the city i was born in, where i work, what my phone number was and what company i worked for. He asked my wife where she worked and she told that she was currently unemployed. He turned around with a perplexed look on his face and asked her how she plans to support me financially. I chipped in and told him that I am employed and am using my income to qualify. Our tax returns from 2004 were missing from his file and he asked us if we had the 1040's for 2004. I gave him my W-2 and the IRS transcripts (which he really appreciated that we had them with us). He looked at my H1 visa which was still valid and assumed that I did not use my EAD. Hence the question of my business income and 1099 did not come up.. phew.... He dint take my AP nor did he ask to see it.

He asked my wife about her parents, siblings and she answered his questions. He then asked if we have any legal documents that show both our names. I took out the huge folder 2 and started showing them one by one. He started punching holes on them as i handed them over to him (he looked like an impatient kid who wouldnt wait to see what i handed over to him). Then he realised that he had punched more than what he needed and returned the rest to me. I told him that i have copies of everything he needs but he insisted on keeping the originals. He asked for more and i gave him the joint bank account statement, utility bills, health and car insurance docs, apartment lease agreement and he insisted on keeping the originals for his records (I had no choice but to shrug and give them to him). Then he asked for wedding pictures and we showed him the consolidated album we printed at home. He flipped through the album and i saw his eyebrows raise. He asked how much we spent on the photographer and also commented on the elaborate decorations. He picked a few pics and saved them in the file for his records.

Throughout the process, he kept making notes on his file and kept filling the "Official Use Only" section on the files he had in front of him. Even at this point, i had 50% hope that i would not be stuck in the FBI name check, but i had my fingers crossed. Then i saw him take a big rubber stamp and place it on my I-485. He held the stamp there for a while making sure it leaves a good imprint on the form. When he lifted the stamp, i could see the big letters "APPROVED" staring at me. I felt blood drain from my face and i felt woozy for a second and then started feeling rhapsodic instantly. This was the moment i was waiting for and it was there right in front of me!!! I had this huge smile stuck on my face which i couldnt get rid of. He then took my passport and placed the I-551 stamp on it and told me the green card would arrive in a month to two months. He then told me that 1 year 9 months from today, i need to apply to remove the conditions from my GC as it is conditional now. That was it. No hard questions, no cross examinations, no interrogation, this guy was good. :)

Having a very common lastname, i was subjected to extra security checks everytime i flew within US, so i had completely lost hopes that i would clear the FBI namecheck by the time of interview. This came as a huge surprise and a big relief that i actually cleared it. That leaves me with a lot of questions regarding how the FBI Namecheck works, but i'll let it go for a while before my curiosity takes over me :D. Its time to celebrate. And for those of you still waiting for the interview... a couple of pointers that might really help you during the interview.
1. Follow the "Dont Ask, Dont Tell" policy.
2. Dont volunteer information
3. Stick to the point. Answer questions with a simple yes or a no unless asked to explain.
4. Pay attention to the questions, reply in a clear and audible tone.
5. Avoid asking unnecessary questions or quesitons which have an obvious answer
6. Keep it simple. Wear a smile on your face.
7. If you dont know, admit it. Dont guess and ruin your chances.
8. Prepare for the interview with your spouse and make sure both are on the same page
9. Carry all documents with you. Make sure you have copies of all originals

Good luck! :)

Hey thanks for the words!! in a month and 4 days to get in a stress hahaha.
Ari I told you that everything was going to be FINE, remember?
I am SO HAPPY for you!!
Good points!!! that is totally true, if they don't ask don't volunteer yourself sometimes because people are nervous instead of to say the things that they wanted to say they said things that make more questions about it and thing unnecessary can get complicated.
Go celebrate!!!! :) :)

Hi ari -
A B I G Congrats!!! :D

Good things happen to Good People! You've helped a lot of us with very valuable information for the past several months. I hope you won't leave the forum just yet. Please stick around..

Go ahead, enjoy your new found freedom and celebrate !!!

Congratulations!!
And thanks for your unvaluable help you provided us with in this forum!
Go and celebrate!!

Congratulations ! I'm happy for you and couldn't agree more with those who expressed how much they appreciated your help here on this forum.

Ari !!!
I'm so happy to read your post! BIG CONGRATS!
I'll have a toast for You with my husband on the weekend!
and thanks for such a specific description of interview and advices!
Take care
and have fun!

Congratulations !!!

The most difficult stage is over for you now, and everything else is just a matter of time. I wish you good luck for the future and may all your dreams come true.
Thanks a lot for helping other people in this forum.

I specifically logged on this evening to see if you had a successful interview. Congratulations and all the best to you and your family.

Heyyyy... thanks every1 :) :) :)
I would have probably gone mad if it wasnt for this forum and you all. Im gonna be around :cool:

I have a quick question for those who have been to the interview and were approved the same day.

Did the officer update the USCIS database using his computer while you were there in his room? I thought that was the standard procedure but the officer who interviewed me only kept writing on his file and hardly even looked at his computer. (i guess the LUD changes when the USCIS database is updated after a successful interview, so that explains why my online status has still not changed??. It doesnt make any difference now, but i am just curious as to the procedure)

Congratulations

Congratulations Ari4u
You have been a great help to lots of people on this forum and have been a role model.
Keep up the good work
_SimiDude
ari4u said:
I have a quick question for those who have been to the interview and were approved the same day.

Did the officer update the USCIS database using his computer while you were there in his room? I thought that was the standard procedure but the officer who interviewed me only kept writing on his file and hardly even looked at his computer. (i guess the LUD changes when the USCIS database is updated after a successful interview, so that explains why my online status has still not changed??. It doesnt make any difference now, but i am just curious as to the procedure)

ari4u said:

After the interview and stamping, the case officer did do something with the computer. I dont know what.

I just checked my case portfolio online; my I-485 LUD is 2-7-06; the date of my interview. When I click on it, I get the following message:

"The status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center."

Based on earlier posts, I believe this is normal before the case status changes to approved.