AOS Interview Experience, Boston DO

gohaha

Registered Users (C)
First my wife and I wanted to thank all of you who contributed to this forum. We got lots of help from you and wish all of you the best luck!

Here is our timeline:

F-1(my wife) married to USC

DO: Boston, MA

05/17/2006 priority date I130, I485, I131, I765
05/19/2006 receieved date I130, I485, I131, I765
05/25/2006 notice date I130,I485, I131, I765
06/05/2006 FP/Bio notice date
06/15/2006 FP/Bio done
06/30/2006 1st interview notice
07/17/2006 infopass reschedule interview
07/26/2006 AP approved
08/02/2006 EAD approved
08/07/2006 AP, EAD received in mail
08/29/2006~09/29/2006 trip to homecountry
09/20/2006 2nd interview notice
11/07/2006 interview --approved! :D
11/08/2006 online status change: welcom letter and approve notice mailed

Our interview was scheduled at 12pm. We arrived around 11:40am and turned in the interview notice. We waited for about 2 hours until my wife's name was called. We went in with the IO around 1:40pm and the whole interview lasted about 30~40 mins.

The IO was a nice but not very talktive young man. After swore us in his cubicle, he asked us to give him the our marriage certificate, our passports, my naturaliztion certificate, my wife's i94, EAD, my wife's drivers lisence. Then he started to verify our names, current address, DOB, etc. He asked me my birday, asked my wife her birthday, and her parent's names. He was more like to make sure that he had the right information on the forms than to check if we know each other all those information. Then he asked if my wife is working, how many times did she come to the US, did she go to the university that showed on her F1 visa, and verified if she entered US in XX city at the 1st, 2nd time, and lots of no-no questions on i485. He asked a lot of those no-no questions, we felt like he asked all of thos questions printed on the form. and then he pulled out a stamp and stamped one of the forms in his folder. My wife was sitting more closer to his desk and told me after the interview that she could glance that was an approval stamp from where she sat.

Then he started to verify information on i130, about date of our marriage, any previous marriage(I have one but my wife has not), any children, my current employment (I gave him my new offer from the new employer since I am leaving the one which we filled on the application). He also asked me about how I get my residency and if my ex-wife applied for citizenship (I said I have no idea).

After he done all the verification, he started to write things down on the forms and imput information in his computer (we guessed he was checking if my wife's name check was done or not). We were just sitting there and felt very uncomfortable cause nobody was talk like for several mins (my wife thought it was even longer). Then he printed 2 piece of papers, put one copy in the file folder, and handed the other one to my wife and said "congradulations! your case is approved. You should receive the card in 2 weeks to 2 months. and (to my wife) you can apply for citizenship after 3 years. Do you have any questions?" We said thank you and my wife asked if this is the permenant GC and he said yes b/c the marriage has been lasted more than 2 years.

Then we went out, and that's it. He didn't ask for tax forms, w2's, pay stubs. He didn't ask any supportive evidence although we prepared alot like joint lease, credit cards accouts, etc. And he didn't ask for any photos or anything. My wife said she was almost gonna to ask him to look our wedding album when he asked if we have any question :eek: (I am glad she didn't :eek: )

We set up the email alert yesterday, and got email couple hours ago saying that i130 approval notice and i486 welcome letter has been mailed.

I will update the information when we get the green card in mail.

Thanks again folks, wish all of you the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
congratulations

how difficult is to get the interview rescheduled and what is the procedure involved?

spouse got her finger prints done recently, we need to make arrangements for reschedule if we receive interview notice during the time we are out of country.

Thanks

Hi gohaha,

Seems likel you did travel out of the country pending your interview and approval. Did you travel on travel documents (I131)? Did you have any trouble? Thanks.

arran_hope said:
congratulations

how difficult is to get the interview rescheduled and what is the procedure involved?

spouse got her finger prints done recently, we need to make arrangements for reschedule if we receive interview notice during the time we are out of country.

Thanks

Thanks!

It was not as difficult as we thought. We typed up a letter stating the reason that we needed to go back home to have wedding which was planned before we got the interview notice. To make sure nothing goes wrong with the rescheduling, we made an infopass and submitted the letter in person.

tig3 said:
Hi gohaha,

Seems likel you did travel out of the country pending your interview and approval. Did you travel on travel documents (I131)? Did you have any trouble? Thanks.

Yes, my wife traveled with AP and there was no problem.

Hi gohaha,

I need to reschedule my interview due to the conflict with the overseas travel. Who did you submit the reschedule request letter ? Did you made any request on the timelines for reschedule interview date ? I am just trying to make sure the rescheduled date only happens after my return.

thx

arran_hope said:
Hi gohaha,

I need to reschedule my interview due to the conflict with the overseas travel. Who did you submit the reschedule request letter ? Did you made any request on the timelines for reschedule interview date ? I am just trying to make sure the rescheduled date only happens after my return.

thx

We scheduled an infopass and submitted the letter to the representative who talked with us. She had my wife fill out a form and attached the copy of the interview notice and the letter with the form. She also gave us back a copy of that form. We did indicate in the letter that we'd like to reschedule our interview after we retruned from our oversea trip.

Hi gohaha,

Thanks for the info. I did not see a representative option in the infopass appointment. I requested for the immigration officer. These are the options available

• You have received an approval letter or Form I-797 from the Service Center or local office instructing you to come into the office for alien identification card processing / passport stamp.
• You have a question about your case.
• You need to file an application for yourself or someone else.
• You need an immigration form.
• It has been more than 90 days since you filed an I-765 and you did not receive an Employment Authorization Card.
• You need to replace your Permanent Resident Card
• You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

I chose "You wish to speak to an immigration officer"
Actually which option you choose doesn't matter that much as long as you can see the immigration officer eventually. You can even walk in in many offices.

arran_hope said:
Hi gohaha,

Thanks for the info. I did not see a representative option in the infopass appointment. I requested for the immigration officer. These are the options available

• You have received an approval letter or Form I-797 from the Service Center or local office instructing you to come into the office for alien identification card processing / passport stamp.
• You have a question about your case.
• You need to file an application for yourself or someone else.
• You need an immigration form.
• It has been more than 90 days since you filed an I-765 and you did not receive an Employment Authorization Card.
• You need to replace your Permanent Resident Card
• You wish to speak to an immigration officer.