AOS Approved on 6/23/05 in Columbus, OH

bucks.rule

Registered Users (C)
HI All,

Today after a brief and painless interview, I was approved and was told that I would be getting my green card within 2-3 weeks. I am hopeful that I will get it earlier (within one week) since my colleague had his interview with the same Chinese-american officer on last tuesday and got his green card this monday.

My interview was at 9:30 am, and to be safe I arrived at the office at 8:50 am. I turned in my AOS interview letter to the security officer at the entrance and was asked to wait till I was called. I had not taken my camera cell phone to the interview since I was told that it would not be allowed, but i was surprised to see that nearly everyone in the waiting room had a camera phone. There were signs posted asking everyone to keep their cell phones off, but no signs saying that cell phones are not allowed. I would hence say that you are allowed to have a cellphone in the Columbus office, as long as you keep it off.

There were quite a few people in the waiting room, waiting for Infopass appointments, fingerprinting appointments and of course AOS interview appointments. I seemed to have the largest folder and photo album and was feeling very confident. Of the four other couples that I saw, three of them had their lawyers with them. I felt very prepared with all my documents and copies in the separate pockets of my large folder. Thanks to all who have posted their experiences and lists of documents etc to take to the interview.

I had a long wait before I was called for my interview. I was called at around 10 am and by that I was wondering if (i) my name had been called earlier and I had not heard it (ii) whether the security officer had turned my interview letter in or (iii) there was a problem with my application (e.g. FBI name check). Anyway it was a relief to finally hear my name. The officer was a young (early to mid thirties) chinese american who was very polite and nice to me and my wife. He took us into his office and first made us swear to tell the truth. He then explained that we were going to go over two applications today (I-130 and I-485) and the supporting documents. He first asked me for our picture ID and our passports. He was very impressed with my well organized folder with all the documents and copies. He then went over some details (name, address, ssn etc.) with my wife and then with me. He asked me for my supporting documents and also for my 2004 income tax return. I gave him a bunch of documents which he did not even look at and said he would attach to my file. Finally he asked me all the questions in the I-485 (are you a communist, have your been arrested etc.). After I said no to all of them, he said that he was going to approve us and that I would get my green card in two to three weeks. He said that they no longer stamped the passport here since the green card was mailed so quickly. Also he said that since I had an EAD, I could legally work until I got the card and hence I did not need the stamp.

He then congratulated us and asked us if had any questions. I asked him a couple of questions, which he answered, and he then walked us to the door. In total the time taken from the time he called our names to the time he walked us to the door was 15 minutes. I was really relieved and happy to be finally over (at least for the next 21 months) with the INS for a long time.

Thanks again to everyone for all their help. I would advise everyone who is going through this process, to be calm and patient and everything will work out, as long as you tell the truth. The two rules at the interview that I followed (i) be truthful, (ii) answer only what is asked and not more.

GO BUCKS

PS. Even though we were not asked for a lot of the documents that we had taken, it made us very confident to have everything. We prepared for the worst and were hoping for the best and that is what happenned. Hence I would definitely recommend being prepared, but not to get to tense. Here are the documents we took for the interview.

What to take to Interview
• Interview Notice.
• Driver's licenses and social security cards for myself and spouse.
• Passports and Form I-94.
• Birth Certificate for myself and spouse.
• Employment Authorization cards, and Authorization for Advance Parole.
• Spouse’s evidence of United States Citizenship (Naturalization certificate).
• Marriage Certificate.
• Supporting evidence of relationship (see below)
• All immigration-related documentation ever issued to me (NOA’s).
• Copy of completed medical exam (Form I-693) and Vaccination supplement submitted earlier.
• Newly Completed Affidavit(s) of Support (Form 1-864, I-864A), with all required evidence.
o Federal Income Tax returns and W-2’s, or certified IRS printouts, for the past 3 years.
o Letters from each of current employers on company stationery, verifying current rate of pay and average weekly hours.
o Pay stubs for the past 2 months with married status highlighted.
• Copy of applications (I-485, I-130, I-131, and I-765) made with required evidence (I-683, I-864 etc.).
• Two passport size photographs (just in case).
• Originals and photocopies of all documents.

Supporting evidence of relationship
• Apartment lease agreement.
• Joint bank statements
• Joint credit card statements
• Joint utility bills (AEP, Columbus Gas)
• Life insurance policy with wife as beneficiary
• Joint car insurance policy
• Health insurance statement with wife as dependent
• Tax statement with marriage status
• Photos
o Before marriage (trips)
o Religious wedding
o Court wedding
o Photos in USA after wedding
• Car title with both names on it
• Wear wedding bands

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm in Columbus Ohio too. I submitted my application for F1-> green card on April 1st, and did FP recently and got EAD a few weeks ago. But my online status never changed since FP, the I-485 was updated on Jun 3rd for FP, the I-130 still shows updated on April 13th. Do you think they will at least "touch" my case before sending the interviewing letter? Thanks. I've been checking my online status almost everyday. Very dissappointing...

Congratulations!!

So well put all together!!
Congratulations and all the best wishes to both of you. Thank you very much for sharing your experience in detail. I were infact very prapared and confident. Good for you!!
I am due my interview on July 5th early in the morning in Tampa DO. I have everything ready, two separate Folders with cover pages distinguishing the Original and Copy with all the possible evedence you can imagine. We have known each other for more them four years now and we have about 20 photo albums with altogether about 3000 pictures. Picture albums includes dating thru wedding and all special occations and holidays and vacations. How many should we bring? I am thinking about 3-4 of them (albums) which includes little bit of everything.
Again, congratulations from us and wish us best of the best.
Enjoy!!