AOS and PA driver\'s license

APAR

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I have a weird situation. I am in the I-485 stage of the GC through my wife\'s employer and we recently moved from CO to PA. The authorities in PA would not issue me a driver\'s license stating that an I-485 status is NOT enough for them. They need an employment letter ( I was on H1 earlier, but unemployed right now ) and any valid status. They do not consider AOS. Is there a way around it ?

Thanks
AP

Have they started asking for immigration documents for PA driver's license. When I got it last year (before 9/11), all they required was the old licence and the SS card.

Did you try using the EAD card.

AOS-pending is valid status

As far as I can tell, AOS-pending is a perfectly valid status. You might want to write to the DMV / DOT explaining your situation. If possible ask them to give in writing why they are denying you a license - Just a suggestion, not legal advice.

Good luck.

I tried in vain !

I tried explaining them the situation. But they would not listen. They simply say "adjustment of status" is not acceptable. They are not contesting the legality of it. It is simply not acceptable to them. That\'s it. I think this is just the beginning of the hassles immigrants are going to face.

You need an INS PhotoID document such as an unexpired visa, EAD or Advanced Parole justifying your stay in USA. Similar problem came up when we wanted an equivalent of driver license for my daughter. We did not get an EAD for her and L2 -visa expired. They did not accept L2-extension doc. or I-485 receipt. Finally, advance parole document came to our rescue.

Some more info. please

Hi TXELK4141

Can you please tell me when and where in PA have you tried this ? I tried showing them AP as well. They would not consider it.
They seemed to be pretty adamant. In fact, the rules in the brochure also said the same that no applications for status will be accepted.

Thanks
AP

Sorry, I did not try it in PA. I tried it in Dallas, TX. In case your H1 or L1 visa used to enter U.S.A. is not expired, why not try showing them that? If that also does not work out for you, only alternative is to get the license from your earlier state and use it here.