Anyone with Lawsuit or intend to file WOM

pankajkandhari

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Just wanted to team up with people who are thinking or have already filed lawsuit against USCIS from Philadelphia for their pending Green Card.

I am now going to start building grounds for filing my case. I will give 4 more months then file and see what happens. I am hoping if there are more then one person in this thread, we can help each other.

If not anyone from Philly then anyone else who is in the process, can you share your experience.

I know there is one thread already in another forum but that is mainly for N-400.. I think if we start one only for I-485 cases, marriage based, it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Hello All,

Just wanted to team up with people who are thinking or have already filed lawsuit against USCIS from Philadelphia for their pending Green Card.

I am now going to start building grounds for filing my case. I will give 4 more months then file and see what happens. I am hoping if there are more then one person in this thread, we can help each other.

If not anyone from Philly then anyone else who is in the process, can you share your experience.

I know there is one thread already in another forum but that is mainly for N-400.. I think if we start one only for I-485 cases, marriage based, it would be really helpful.

Thanks

I am in process of building up my case. My DO is Memphis. So far I have wrote to the IO who interviewed us, got FOIA response and have worte to Senators. Also I have inquired thru the 800 number and have infopass for Monday. I will give a month to senators to response and then go from there.

great

How did you find the information of the IO who nterviewed you. I know her last name but do not have her full name or email id?

Hi

Panka,

Have you taken time to write to USCIS once a month to find out what's going on with your name check? :confused: I always advise people to write letters each other week to the USCIS, inquire about their case, have documentation of their attempts to resolve their predicament with USCIS before taking the govt to court. :p

Courts are there to help you with a proven injustice that the govt is subjecting you to, but in the absence of one, then you are basically wasting your time.:rolleyes: Unless you have been working USCIS on a month-to-month basis, then I wonder what can the courts do for your case.:( You have to force the courts to want to intervene in a case which you are clearly getting screwed, but when it just a mere convenience for you, the US attorney is going to oppose your case very strongly, and probably kill it by subjecting you this proven govt tactic: government will challenge subject matter jurisdiction of your case. :rolleyes: For people filing pro se, in the absence of an attorney, then you lack the expertize to file a response to the govt, because you don't know the case law which will support your case, and you lose on this technicality:eek:

What steps have you taken to solve this name check bull...:confused: Suing the govt is more work than an average small claims court, especially filing pro se. :( I have prepared a lawsuit for my wife against the US govt, and a very strong case, but they acted after receiving a letter from us, where we threatened to sue then on a particular date. The offered my wife an info pass, and resolved her case within a month....:rolleyes:

How did you find the information of the IO who nterviewed you. I know her last name but do not have her full name or email id?

I also have only his last name. I wrote a letter to him and surprisingly I got reply back stating that my NC is pending.
Al is right. I am inquiring the USCIS from all possible direction before suing them.

Panka,

Have you taken time to write to USCIS once a month to find out what's going on with your name check? :confused: I always advise people to write letters each other week to the USCIS, inquire about their case, have documentation of their attempts to resolve their predicament with USCIS before taking the govt to court. :p

Courts are there to help you with a proven injustice that the govt is subjecting you to, but in the absence of one, then you are basically wasting your time.:rolleyes: Unless you have been working USCIS on a month-to-month basis, then I wonder what can the courts do for your case.:( You have to force the courts to want to intervene in a case which you are clearly getting screwed, but when it just a mere convenience for you, the US attorney is going to oppose your case very strongly, and probably kill it by subjecting you this proven govt tactic: government will challenge subject matter jurisdiction of your case. :rolleyes: For people filing pro se, in the absence of an attorney, then you lack the expertize to file a response to the govt, because you don't know the case law which will support your case, and you lose on this technicality:eek:

What steps have you taken to solve this name check bull...:confused: Suing the govt is more work than an average small claims court, especially filing pro se. :( I have prepared a lawsuit for my wife against the US govt, and a very strong case, but they acted after receiving a letter from us, where we threatened to sue then on a particular date. The offered my wife an info pass, and resolved her case within a month....:rolleyes:

Hello Al,

I completely agree with you. I said I am preparing for future.. which means.. I have made 2 infopass. Will keep making infopass every month. I am in the process of writing to congressperson and senators, I have spoken verbally but I need their responses for my records.
I will be writing to USCIS every 15 days.

It might take 6 months but I will have enough amo to fight after that and then may be send a letter of intent to Sue..

When I say preparing, I know what I am doing.

FYI - I have filed and won a WOM last year for my wife when she was waiting for N400 application. Now as tapskap pointed out, they are getting tougher on WOM cases. Last year it was a cake walk.

Of course there is a fair chance that I may loose but I will only try when I am ready. It may take 6 months more.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the lawyers informed me that the case needs to be pending for ATLEAST 2 yeasrs for WOM to work....

Okay....

Pan,

I understand your position, but track record of six months will be insufficient to gain sympathy with any district judge who will review your initial filing, at least in my view. :( As such, you can go ahead and try your luck, but I can assure you that the US attorney is going to crush your lawsuit in its conception....:rolleyes:

You have to understand that WOM has worked effectively in the cases of naturalization, especially because the Circuit Court ruling which struck down the policy of USCIS as unjust...:eek: I understand that Rajiv said that you can file a case agains the govt, after one year of being stuck in the name check crap, but I am yet to find a case of someone with your merits. :D

If you can, provide me relevant case law which supports the merits of your case. I am willing to give you a month to find this case law, because it will help me to be optimistic about your case.:p However, my viewpoint should not derail you from be a trailblazer in this area, I admire mavericks, and you can certainly be first person to bring down the US attorney on his knees by your lawsuit, and create a rush of lawsuits to extricate people from the name check quandry...:confused:

However, I wouldn't be the devil on you winning....:(

I agree but then what other choice do we have. If you see other threads, people are still filling. It is just that now they have to be prepared to fight till the end. It is helping them indirectly as USCIS starts working on their case, they may not expedite it but then start working.

What do you think?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...eChk022007.pdf

IMMHO, I don't think this press release matters - at least for valid WOM cases. Others are seeing action from the USCIS because once you do file the WOM, and you have a valid case, the court really won't care about press releases.

You'll include both USDHS and USDOJ in the WOM complaint. So even if USCIS doesn't prod the FBI, the federal court will. (assuming you do have a valid case).

Also, in the Mandamus Complaint, you won't be requesting an 'expedite', you'll be praying for injunctive relief and declaratory judgement i.e. a decision.

What the press release takes away from petitioners is the argument that USCIS itself 'offers' the Mandamus Complaint as a mechanism for expediting cases - so you need to build your case and wait the 'appropriate' length of time. You can't decide that a 3 month wait is too long, start sending letters all over the place, file a Mandamus complaint at 6 months and then expect a resolution.

The press release also says that the '...USCIS will not _routinely_ expedite...'. In other words, if there is a valid case for an expedite, they will - just not every case.

So, if you have a valid case, don't worry about the press release.

I am one of those who recently got my approval after serving both USCIS and USDOJ notice of a pending Mandamus complaint. I dropped a draft copy of the complaint in an envelope, added a cover letter with my case details, indicated that I had been waiting over 1000 days, that I'd rather not take up valueable DHS and DOJ resources by filing with the court, but if my applicaiton was not processed in 30 days, I would add this attempt at getting my applicaiton approved to the complaint and file it with the federal district court.

About 45 days later, I received a phone call telling me that my case was approved. As phone calls aren't the usual mode of notification, I figure that it was receiving a draft copy of the complaint that got my case moving.

Pankaj, you can file the WOM tomorrow if you want, but in order to be succesful, you need to show the court that you have indeed exhausted all your administrative remedies, that you feel that your case has fallen through the cracks and that only the court can get it moving. If the USCIS can show that a reasonable percentage of the cases are taking over a year to process and you file a WOM at 1 year, the judge is probably going to side with the USCIS and ask you to wait.

WOM is one of these odd things. The longer you wait, the more evidence you have (letters, infopass notices, FOIPA responses etc), but the less evidence you need to prove your case. E.g. If you've been waiting 4-5 years, the court doesn't need that much proof to know that it needs to step in, but if you try to get the court involved within 1 year, it'll need to know why you even think 1 year is an unreasonable amount of time to process your permanent residence. If you can't convince the court that <however long you've been waiting> is an inordinate and arbitrary delay and that you are one of the 0.1% of the people whose file seems to be lost in the twilight zone, your letters to senators etc won't matter. First you need to convince a judge that your application is stuck. Second, that when you realized that your application was stuck, you still gave USCIS a couple of months before you started following up via the normal administrative channels (infopass, 800 phone number), slowly escalating to non-normal channels (congressperson, senator), direct to the FBI (FOIPA), request for expedite to the USCIS (letter to USCIS) and finally notifying your Intent to file WOM complaint (send draft to USCIS and US Attorney). Now you can tell the court that as you have nowhere else to go, and that by now, your application has been pending over 1.5 years - can the court please step in. IMO 1.5 years is a defensible timeline (it normally takes 6 months to process AOS, waited another 6 months for resolution, spent the next 6 months escalating via various channels and then finally filing WOM)

Pankaj, it sucks to wait - but if your case is indeed stuck, no press release from USCIS can take away your right to file a Mandamus complaint.

In reading other threads here, there seems to be a new security check system in place for the last month or so. Lets hope this reduces the security related delays.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...eChk022007.pdf

Pankaj, it sucks to wait - but if your case is indeed stuck, no press release from USCIS can take away your right to file a Mandamus complaint.

In reading other threads here, there seems to be a new security check system in place for the last month or so. Lets hope this reduces the security related delays.

Good Luck

Thanks GungaDin for taking time and writing a very thoughtful reply. I also believe that I will just be educating myself in next few months and writing letters and making phone calls.. then next 4-5 months will be what you call "escalating" and then finally after 18 months total file a WOM.

Now it seems like a very pessimist and long plan but I certainly have no hope for these kind of cases. I feel atleast I know now and I have accepted the fact that I am going to wait and build my case over time. Last time it was an eye opener and I did not know how many people were waiting for Name Check and what the hell was this NC.

My only intention was to find people like myself, help each other as I can make one template for letters to white house and every one of us can use it and stuff like that.

Obviously I am going to wait long enough that I am certain that I can defent my case.

My biggest worry is if in next one year USCIS closes this option of WOM then there is no way to come out of this black hole. That is why sometimes I feel may be take a chance after 1 year and file than wait longer and loose this opportunity also.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's response and time

Hello Pankaj
My name check is being stuck last 2 years. But now my priority date is not current. So I have to wait until it current. I approched a lawyer to ask about
Writ of Mandamus.
I was told that, if court orders in your favor USCIS has no option than
adjudicate it. Good luck..please update me. I sent you a private message

thx
babu

Pan,

I understand your position, but track record of six months will be insufficient to gain sympathy with any district judge who will review your initial filing, at least in my view. :( As such, you can go ahead and try your luck, but I can assure you that the US attorney is going to crush your lawsuit in its conception....:rolleyes:

You have to understand that WOM has worked effectively in the cases of naturalization, especially because the Circuit Court ruling which struck down the policy of USCIS as unjust...:eek: I understand that Rajiv said that you can file a case agains the govt, after one year of being stuck in the name check crap, but I am yet to find a case of someone with your merits. :D

If you can, provide me relevant case law which supports the merits of your case. I am willing to give you a month to find this case law, because it will help me to be optimistic about your case.:p However, my viewpoint should not derail you from be a trailblazer in this area, I admire mavericks, and you can certainly be first person to bring down the US attorney on his knees by your lawsuit, and create a rush of lawsuits to extricate people from the name check quandry...:confused:

However, I wouldn't be the devil on you winning....:(

Hi, Al Southner and GungaDin:
About collecting evidence, i'm stuck in NC for almost 3 yrs now, and during the past a couple of years, I made lots of phone call inquiries and infopass, but didn't keep all the records (response letters,and infopass receipt) since I didn't know about WOM at that time. So my question is when i write my complaint, can I just state the fact that I called and infopassed many many times, but without providing the exhibits. Would that hurt my case?

Thank you in advance,
hbb

Hello Pankaj
My name check is being stuck last 2 years. But now my priority date is not current. So I have to wait until it current. I approched a lawyer to ask about
Writ of Mandamus.
I was told that, if court orders in your favor USCIS has no option than
adjudicate it. Good luck..please update me. I sent you a private message

thx
babu

I did not get your private message can you send again. What do you mean by your priority date is not current?

Yes when the case goes to court then CIS looses jurisdiction over it. What is your DO? and has your lawyer filled WOMs before.. I think its very important you find a good experienced lawyer if you are going to get one.

About collecting evidence, i'm stuck in NC for almost 3 yrs now, and during the past a couple of years, I made lots of phone call inquiries and infopass, but didn't keep all the records (response letters,and infopass receipt) since I didn't know about WOM at that time. So my question is when i write my complaint, can I just state the fact that I called and infopassed many many times, but without providing the exhibits. Would that hurt my case?

Thank you in advance,
hbb

I think 3 years in itself is such a long time that your exhibits should not affect too much. Let’s see what others think, this is what I have seen from other cases. I am not saying do not attach any, the more the better and you need to show that you tried everything before going to court but I think three years is quite long time and if you have some papers missing, it should not hurt you too much.

One thing though, I have been following other cases and CIS is getting very tough. Sometimes judges are encouraging people to get lawyers and not file pro se. Basically now they are not willing to ignore mistakes because you are filling Pro Se.

...My biggest worry is if in next one year USCIS closes this option of WOM...

Pankaj,
The WOM is not a USCIS option. It is part of the Administrative Procedures Act and as such only Congress can make changes to it.

One other thing you may want to watch is whether the published processing times themselves start getting longer. If these start stretching out into 1+ years, then the wait for WOM will be longer.

Thank you in advance,
hbb

Yes, you can state the fact. If you dont have the exact date of Infopass / Phone call you can say 'On or about August 2006...' - Just don't cook up anything - you _are_ going into federal court with this...

Either way, you don't need the attachments when you send out your draft copy to USCIS and the US Attorney. Just create a page (Appendix A - Attachments; and list out what you intend to attach to your file).

Here is what I used. The Mandamus complaint is in the pro se format for the District Court in San francisco. Please check these for accuracy as I didn't do too much research to verify the legal mumbo jumbo :)
(or at least get this looked at by a lawyer before you file the complaint with the court)