Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

sfdurrani said:
Hi Paz, Wenlock and other gurus!

I filed my I-485 WOM 11/22/2006 and AUSA served 11/29/2006. AUSA filed an answer (to which no answer was required). Now an Initial Scheduling order has been issed by Court for a pretrial conference on 3/12/2007.It also requires filing a Joint Status Report (JSR) on 3/2/07. AUSA has maild me a draft for my consideration. I am attaching this motion with current post. I have certain questions for the experts:

1-The AUSA mention REAL ID ACT, while in my WOM I only asked court to compel USCIS to adjudicate my application because of unreasonable delay. Why is he using this act?

2- I am preparing my stipulations to add to this draft for JSR. I could not find any eamples of JSR on PACER or on this forum. Does anyone know of any examples or not?

3-Do I need to state the facts or give examples of prior precedents as AUSA has done?

4-AUSA mentioned he plans to file motion to dismiss. Why he did not do that in the first place instead of filing just an answer?

5-I have seen that discovery plan is something very strongly resisted by AUSAs especially in NM. The local district court has denied requests to preclude discovery in prior cases. What should i ask in discovery plan other than my USCIs file?

Any input is really appreciated.
1. See the AILF Practice Advisory about the REAL ID related issues, attached below. You can find all the arguments written nicely in the PETITIONER'S RESPONSE TO RESPONDENTS' MOTION TO ALTER OR AMEND JUDGMENT from Elkhatib_v_Bulger (I posted already this document couple of days ago, probably you missed it, or you didn't have a chance to read it)
2. I don't have anything which would help you with this
3. I don't know, probably not. Still, you may include something, but this should not be longer than AUSA's part. I would mention the Yu case which was in your district, an identical case with yours.
4. Probably s/he was hoping that your name check will be cleared before the case gets in front of the judge.
5. I would ask any document which shows potentially derogatory info about me which prevents USCIS to adjudicate my case.

wenlock said:
Interesting if you are not citizen yet how come you were invited for jury duty. only citizens are allowed to be called for jury duty. Are you sure you never mistakenly registered for voting in this country because that is not allowed for non citizens. I know some people applications got denied due to mistakenly registering for voting.
I believe that the jury duty call is based on the Secretary of State database (state ID and driver's licences). I received at least 2-3 times such invitations, I always sent back to the court with the mention that I am not US citizen and I can't serve on jury. I certainly never registered for voting.

wenlock said:
How to verify that name check was expediated? I checked with Congressional inquiry it is just telling me the original name check request date that is for sure more then 18 months old. It is not telling me that there was any new request sent to FBI.

My US attorney confirmed that he expediated and also mentioned in the extension of time motion. I am not sure who to trust US attorney or congressional inquiry. Any one knows that second expediated request shows up as second request from USCIS or not.

I am not sure what is the protocol for sending expediated request from USCIS same as normal request or different protocol.

Can some one shead some light on it. It is really worrying me now that if they did not made expediated request I am back to same level.

I have 2 more weeks to go for end of extension what should I schedule with US attorney another extension or pleading? He is ready for anything I am not sure what is good option if name expediate was not done then I do not see reason for waiting.

I am really confused with all this mess now
I would trust AUSA. S/he has a vested interest to have your case adjudicated before the lawsuit advances down on the road. (S/he has to work less). I don't believe that anybody from this forum has reliable info about the protocol how they send and expedite name checks. This is an internal matter which is probably closely guarded and it is not made public.

Nytimes Article on name Citizenship Delays --

I do not know if this has been posted (couple of months old) earlier but it's a very good article on citizenship delays.

http://www.cliniclegal.org/IntheNews/NYTimes102306.html

My case was delayed due to the name check backlog but I got it cleared by sending intent to sue letter. My wife case is still on hold (Applied-April'05, Interview-Aug'05). I have send several intent to sue letters on her behalf without any success.

Can't remember who but someone asked me for this file.Here USCIS is hinting that the Name-checks are not resolved timely due to the lack of the capacity(1st bullet of the 2nd page).

Hi Paz!
I really appreciate your response. Can you elaborate this Yu case. I could not find it in NM courts on Pacer. Is it the famous Yu V Brown? I searched this also but was not lucky. Can you give me any case number?
Thanks
sfdurrani

Yu v Brown

Hi Paz!
I finally found this Yu v Brown! What an interesting case. I am attching the final opinion of Judge with this post for forum members. I would also point out that the decesion was upheld by the appeals court and plaintiff's were awarded 15,000$ in attorney fees also. What a defeat for USCIS!

You mentioned in one earlier post
"Paunescu v. INS, 76 F. Supp. 2d 896, 900 (N.D. Ill. 1999) (district court jurisdiction to review INS’s failure to timely adjudicate adjustment application is not barred by § 242(a)(2)(B)(ii) because INS had not yet granted or denied relief). The court concluded that it had mandamus jurisdiction over the challenge. Id. at 901.

Yu v. Brown, 36 F. Supp. 2d 922, 929-30, 935 (D. N.M. 1999)

These two cases are probably too old to find them on-line with PACER. You need to go to a law library where you can find them in the federal Suppliment."

Can you please further elaborate on the significance of this judgement and how it is helpful in my case.
I really appreciate your response

I haven't spoken to AUSA yet at all. I was under the impression that they are supposed to file an extension with the court in case if they cannot meet the 60 day deadline which is today.

if i do not get anything in the mail this coming week, should i file judgement by Default?

finally the end of the Tunnel

hello every one!!!
i just want to thank everyone in this forum and how great of a job you guys are doing by helping others in filing and getting the proper documentation.
today i had my aplication aproved after my second interview and the Immigration officer that will get my ceremony sometimes next month.
i was relieved and happy after waiting over two years.
good luck everyone and keep up the fight.

Jury Member

I also was choosen to be a Jury Member for the court a couple years ago, and I am not a Permanent Resident yet. I had to file a form with a court that I am not obligated to serve this duty since I am not a citizen.

I've never registered for voting in this country. I guess that computer picks the names randomly from the residents of specific counties.

Alika

wenlock said:
Interesting if you are not citizen yet how come you were invited for jury duty. only citizens are allowed to be called for jury duty. Are you sure you never mistakenly registered for voting in this country because that is not allowed for non citizens. I know some people applications got denied due to mistakenly registering for voting.

mredil24 said:
hello every one!!!
i just want to thank everyone in this forum and how great of a job you guys are doing by helping others in filing and getting the proper documentation.
today i had my aplication aproved after my second interview and the Immigration officer that will get my ceremony sometimes next month.

Congratulations

hello guys, i was bout to read the 600+ but got tired midway.

i applied for citizen may 2005. i got finger printed sometime October 2005, and i interviewed and passed the interview January 2006. and i still haven't heard back from anybody as i am still stuck in the name check process. i have contacted two congresswoman/man regarding this matter and they both asked for status check from local office i assume and both gave me the same response that is still stuck in the name check process.

i am tired of waiting, but i am worried about my green card running out, it runs out in 2010 i believe and if this seems to be dragging out forever.. and i feel like i am never going to hear again.

are there any attorneys you guys recommend that will do this with almost of a "guarantee"?

so i read about the pacer thing.. maybe i will look into it.. but if anybody used anybody in the Virginia/Washington, DC/Maryland area let me know please

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to send all defendants the return receipt & certificate of service?

I've filed the return receipt & certificate of service with the court. Should I send a copy to US Attoney's office and every defendants? Thanks

"12. File the return receipt with the court, and send a copy to the US atty office."

SanJoseCA said:
I've filed the return receipt & certificate of service with the court. Should I send a copy to US Attoney's office and every defendants? Thanks

"12. File the return receipt with the court, and send a copy to the US atty office."
Although I'm not convinced that it is necessary, but I followed the rule of thumb to send a copy of everything to the US Attorney's office when I file a document with the court. You definitely don't need to send copies to the defendants. From now on, AUSA will be the counsel of all the defendants and you have to deal with him/her.

sfdurrani said:
Hi Paz and Wenlock and others!

I posted some questions earlier and was waiting for your input. I had one more question also. The AUSA is claiming "sovereign Immunity" which in my understanding means that federal government is immune to these civil law suits. I am looking for any cases to negate that doctrine. I need your help.
Thanks
sfdurrani
See the attached oppositin to motion to dismiss. It has some discussions about "sovereign immunity". It may help you.

ponaetis said:
I haven't spoken to AUSA yet at all. I was under the impression that they are supposed to file an extension with the court in case if they cannot meet the 60 day deadline which is today.

if i do not get anything in the mail this coming week, should i file judgement by Default?
Well, and what stops you to call the US Attorney's office and try to make a contact with the AUSA who was assigned to your case? You certainly can find out from that phone conversation what are his/her intentions. And on PACER you will be able to see quickly if anything was filed with the court in your case.

Theoretically you can file a Motion for Default Judgement if there is no answer or motion filed by the defendants after 60 days of serving the US Attorney's Office, but the FRCP rule 55 (e) states:

Judgment Against the United States.
No judgment by default shall be entered against the United States or an officer or agency thereof unless the claimant establishes a claim or right to relief by evidence satisfactory to the court.

thanks for your reply.

i contacted AUSA, who was incredibly rude, and said that she does not have time to chat. (there was no chating on my part) She said that if my NC clears by Tuesday then i will have to call the court and check if she filed something.

name check completed

According to AUSA, my name check has completed and he sent me a copy of the motion to remand today to ask my assent. CIS has 45 days to adjudicate my application after the remand. I certainly hope I can hear from CIS soon.

I want to share this good news with people in this forum and thank everyone (paz especially) who took their time to answer my questions. Thank you, paz, for staying and answering questions even after your well deserved victory. People like you deserve a medal of some kind.

As a frequent visitor of this forum, I learned a lot and was encouraged by stories posted in this forum to file my lawsuit Pro Se. To return, I try to give as much detail as I can about my case. Hope it helps anyone in any way.
. N-400 filed: 3/2006
. Interviewed: 6/16/2006 Boston name check pending
. Lawsuit filed (Pro Se 1447(b)): 12/12/2006

I was worried that my case will be affected by the new 'no more expedited name check' rule. I found out my AUSA's contact number on Pacer and sent 2 emails to him asking the status of my case. He never replied. I waited and called him (left message) 3 days before the due date. He called back told me that the name check is done and he's going to file a motion to remand.
Based on my own experience, if you were interviewed for N400, I recommend you file the lawsuit as soon as the 120 days passed. I was hesitated to file earlier because I was afraid that my application wasn't pending long enough. Then I thought, what would be the worst happen if I file? I will lose $350 and my application go back to where it is. Now I'm glad I didn't wait longer till after 12/22/06.

About the new rule, I think it depends on how bad your AUSA wants to fight with you. If they don't want to fight, then they will contact someone to get your name check moving. My AUSA didn't mention anything about the new rule. As of today, I haven't seen any Boston cases had to go through motion-to-dismiss and then opposition-to-motion-to-dismiss process. But as paz mentioned over and over again, prepare for the worst. I consider myself being lucky for not having to go through the fight.

During my filing of the lawsuit, the most confusing piece was serving the Summons and filing for Return of Serivce afterwards. People did it in different ways. I prepared one summons for one defendent and one summons for US Attorney (so that I can serve them). Then at time of filing the lawsuit, clerk stamped them and gave them back to me. I then served US Attorney at the same day in person. My husband was with me at the time so I asked him to give it to the clerk because I was told I can't serve by myself. The clerk didn't seem to care who he was. Also, I made a mistake by giving the original summons to the AUSA. I called the clerk later. They said it's fine if I file Return of Service with the copy. Good thing is the mistake was discovered before I served other defendants. So I did serve copies on all the defendants. I filed Return of Service as soon as all mails showed up as 'delivered' on USPS website. And yes, I filed with only the website printout. The court accepted it. I hope this information helps anyone so that you won't make the same mistake that I made and lose sleep over it.

Here is a brief step-by-step. If you go through this forum, these info is everywhere. I just hope this makes someone's life a little easier. :
1. File lawsuit
Give court clerk the following:
- Cover Sheet
- Compliant (1 copy stabled that the court will keep, 1 copy NOT stapled that they will stamp and give back to you to make copies for defendants)
- Summons (1 for each defendent. The clerk will give this back to you and you make copies for the defendants and keep the original to file Return of Service later)

2. Serve defendents
Via USPS certified mail, send the following to the defendants:
- Copy of original compliant with court seal
- Copy of original summons for that defendant

3. File Return of Service with court and send copy to local US Attorney
Wait till all mails are delivered. File the following with the court:
- Original copies of all summons
- Fill out and sign the 2nd page of the summons
- Print out of USPS tracking pages
- Certificate of Service (attached here)
(don't forgot to send copy to your local US Attorney)

This is what I did. It may not be exact how other people did because of different local rules.

Attached is the certificate of service document in case anyone needs a sample.

There were a lot questions on defendants' address. Here is what I used.

Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
Office of the General Counsel
U. S. Department of Homeland Security
Washington, D. C. 20528

Emilio Gonzalez, Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Office of Chief Counsel
20 Massachusetts Ave., Room 4025
Washington, D.C. 20529

Alberto R. Gonzales, United States Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20530-0001

Robert S. Mueller, Director of Federal Bureau of Investigation
Office of the General Counsel of the FBI
935 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

-- NOTE: you need to change this if you are not filing in Boston ------
Denis Riordan, Boston District Director
Boston District Office of USCIS
JFK Federal Building
Government Center
Boston, MA 02203

Again, I hope all these can help someone who are thinking of filing lawsuit against the powerful government as pro se.

I wish everyone good luck and I hope I hear good news from CIS soon.

Congratulation, enjoy the victory.

mredil24 said:
hello every one!!!