Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

micahel1008 said:
pz1960, I have two questions regarding comfused's case. comfused: if you like to add anything, feel free to comment on it:
(1)Based on USCIS and AUSA agreed to expedite her name check, why did AUSA still file Motion to Dismiss? Extendsion will be nice instead of strong dismiss?
(2)Did AUSA file 30~60 days extension first to buy some time for their motion, while we have nothing to do for that? does extension indicate they want solve problem before go to judge or just pure for delay then later on, they still can file Motion to Dismiss the case?
My AUSA basically did not want to cooperate with me. He filed motion-to-dismiss (MTD) 18 days earlier to the 60 days due date. I guess he already knew my case could not be solved in 60 days and USCIS didn't tell him how long my application can be solved at that time. He just filed MTD to try to get rid of my case from his mind and finished his job for my case. AUSA once told me that he just did what USCIS told him to do and he had difficulties to talk with FBI. After MTD, USCIS found the mistake that they made to my case (mix A#). This mistake triggered USCIS to decide to require NC expedition for my application in FBI since my WOM is still pending in the court. After I filed opposition, AUSA and USCIS may sense it is hard for court to dismiss my case because of numerous mistakes made by them and such a long pending time (38 months). Then they work a little bit hard to contact with FBI to deal with my NC. At least in hearing. AUSA mentioned to the judge that FBI talked to him in that morning that they received expedite requirement from USCIS on 1/9/07 and were acting on it. In my feeling, AUSA has no problem to communicate with USCIS but has problems to contact FBI. He basically gave info to USCIS and let USCIS to contact FBI. Since my case in the court is not very favor them now, maybe FBI begin to talk to AUSA. I will contact him in a few days and see if my logic is right.

msenior said:
lotechguy,
thank you for your response. I have never contacted by any law enforcement. What's FOIPA? Do I need to do this for my citizenship application?

msenior,
http://foia.fbi.gov/ You can apply with the FBI and ask for information they have on you. They give you only partial info (main files) but still can be useful in lawsuits. Most people of this forum get "No records". In your case you have already made pretty good progress and are near the end so its not useful to you anymore.

I have been lurking around on this forum for about a month now and am going to file my N400 WOM in 2 weeks.I have utilized all other channels like congressman to no avail as i am in military USCIS told my congressman office that only way they would expedite my name check is if i get deployed.My question is who has the jurisdiction after i file my case.I have good chances of getting deployed so if my case is in court can i still go to uscis and have my name check expedited on basis of my deployment thanks by the way my name check is pending for about 18 months now.Average time it takes for a military personnel to get his citizenship in my state is 3 months.

thank you lotechguy. I should trust AUSA phone conversion. (my name checking completed in FBI).

lotechguy said:
msenior,
http://foia.fbi.gov/ You can apply with the FBI and ask for information they have on you. They give you only partial info (main files) but still can be useful in lawsuits. Most people of this forum get "No records". In your case you have already made pretty good progress and are near the end so its not useful to you anymore.

sksharma76 said:
I have been lurking around on this forum for about a month now and am going to file my N400 WOM in 2 weeks.I have utilized all other channels like congressman to no avail as i am in military USCIS told my congressman office that only way they would expedite my name check is if i get deployed.My question is who has the jurisdiction after i file my case.I have good chances of getting deployed so if my case is in court can i still go to uscis and have my name check expedited on basis of my deployment thanks by the way my name check is pending for about 18 months now.Average time it takes for a military personnel to get his citizenship in my state is 3 months.

Do not leave military. I read somewhere that FBI should order immediately expedited namecheck, if person is in military. Somebody on this forum posted pdf file that has internal FBI memo, where I read this. Another reason to expedite name check was medical condition, and another 2 I do not remember. In your case I would write everybody: Laura Bush, CNN, etc...

My update: talked today to my AUSA. She said, that expedite name check was ordered for me, but since FBI i overwhelmed with WOM cases now they can process only limited number of NC per month. Probably I am again at the bottom of the list with my case, since people who filed after me r already with GC. I feel sorry for AUSA.. it is sad that taxpayers money is wasted... and they have to deal now with tonns of WOM cases.
If nothing won't be resolved during next 7 days, I will have a telephone conference with her and judge, although I agreed with my AUSA that nobody can resolve my case or mediate it, untill FBI finishes it job.

Hi. I am new to this forum although I have been reading it for the past few months.
My timelne is the following:
N-400 PD: May 16, 2006
FP: July 7, 2006
IL: September 19, 2006
ID: October 26, 2006

On my N-652 form (the one with the interview results) there are only two things checked:
1. You passed the written tests of English and U.S history and government and
2. USCIS will send you a written decision about your application

It's been almost 3 months and still no decision has been made. I have tried going to infopass appointments and calling the service center. On my last infopass visit I was told that my background check was cleared but that for some reason the IO that interviewed me has my folder in his office and has not yet approved the case!!

I have no idea what to do. Has anyone been in the same situation? Who should I sue since the delay is not the FBI check? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
wenlock said:
Can you tell me what are your timelines?
Here is my timeline.

Passed Interview 2/13/2006, pending on name check
1447(b) filed 11/7/2006
US Attorney served - 11/7/2006
Answer due - 1/7/2007
1/8/2007 - receive Mail from US Attorney for Montion to Dismiss
1/23/2007 called AUSA. He called me back after 15mins check with agency. He said my name checking completed

=== I am getting mixed message==
In this afternoon mails, I received Notice of motion from AUSA. It indicates I have to file either a response opposing the motion or a legal brief in opposition to the one stated by the defendants. To me, a legal brief seems easy.

thank you for your advice

Just did the Oath today

Hi Everyone,

This great forum helped me on every steps for preparing WOM. Many thanks goes to people like like Publicus, Panz1960, Wenlock, ..., just name a few. People who really spent time on the forum deserve respect. When I told people around me I filed a law suit for it, they are saying I should be in the front line ... Just be patient, you will prevail.

Here is the summary of the my case:

1. March 2005 - N400
2. April 2005 - 1st FP
3. June 2005 - IV -- waiting background check since March 2005
4. Nov. 29, 2006 - WOM
5 Jan. 20, 2007 - Oath Letter
6 Jan. 23, 2007 - Oath

Good luck to everyone.

2005N400 said:
Hi Everyone,

This great forum helped me on every steps for preparing WOM. Many thanks goes to people like like Publicus, Panz1960, Wenlock, ..., just name a few. .

Congratulations stories like your give us motivation for keep fighting for our rigths. Good luck

Had oath today

Hi, Everybody:

I just had oath today at San Diego.
I owe great appreication for Publicus and other founding members of this great forum. Thanks Paz, cajack and others for your always helpful comments. My thoughts and prayers are with you for those are still fighting for their rights. Good luck,

Sky :) :) :D

Congrat. to you. You made it. It is a great forum and people here are helpful and friendly. I don't know what I should do if I did not find this forum on time. Wish you and the rest of the members on the forum the best and get what you fight for.

Jack

skyhigh7 said:
Hi, Everybody:

I just had oath today at San Diego.
I owe great appreication for Publicus and other founding members of this great forum. Thanks Paz, cajack and others for your always helpful comments. My thoughts and prayers are with you for those are still fighting for their rights. Good luck,

Sky :) :) :D

whatsnamecheck said:
Hi all, I just got off the phone with a supervisor at USCIS. I called because I cannot find my case online or on their phone system, and my interview was scheduled, then descheduled, then rescheduled. At the end of my interview, I was given a form that says my background check is pending.

To my surprise, there is no hold time at the USCIS 800 customer service line. The supervisor assured me that my case is not lost. It cannot be found online because it's under name check. The supervisor was extremely courteous. I then told her that 120-day statutory time limit after the interview has passed. The law is on my side. She then got a bit impatient, she said there are lots of people in the same situation. She said USCIS is certainly aware of the law, and they are pushing FBI already. I am not certain about her statement because I haven't filed a 1447b lawsuit yet.

As I am doing my homework on how to file 1447b pro se, I wonder if it's a good idea to write a letter of intent-to-sue and send it to the US attorney in my district. Is it a good idea? I want to tell the US attorney that it's a terrible waste of my money and taxpayers' money if I go ahead with a lawsuit, a lawsuit that USCIS will likely lose. However, I am not sure how the US attorney's office will react to such a letter. I think they are overwhelmed with WOM and real 1447b lawsuits already. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I have sent my 30-day “intent to sue notice” letters to local USCIS, AUSA and Office of General Council. I doubt that anybody will read those – it appears that only official summons with court stamps trigger any attention. But I think it is good to have those letters as an exhibit for your complain – the last attempt to settle the issue outside the court might somewhat reinforce your case. So, yes, I think intent to sue notice could be of a marginal utility as an exhibit in your case.

Best of luck to you and ya’ll!
Snorlax

P.S. The very purpose of existence for the bureaucrats is to waste taxpayers’ money, so I would not expect much sympathy toward your argument.

Guys...take a look at the following news posted on immigration-law

"The news have recently surfaced that the U.S. Attorneys would fight out rather than back down or settle in such lawsuits. It is a bad news for those who suffer from terrible delays in naturalization because of the so-called security check backlog. In the first place, it will become very expensive to litigate. Additionally, the outcome of success in such litigation may not necessarily lead to the quick fix any more of the naturalization delays."

Any comment/thoughts on this one ??

this is so called no more name check expedite

gctarget06 said:
Guys...take a look at the following news posted on immigration-law

"The news have recently surfaced that the U.S. Attorneys would fight out rather than back down or settle in such lawsuits. It is a bad news for those who suffer from terrible delays in naturalization because of the so-called security check backlog. In the first place, it will become very expensive to litigate. Additionally, the outcome of success in such litigation may not necessarily lead to the quick fix any more of the naturalization delays."

Any comment/thoughts on this one ??

This is somehow true, due to the internal policy of USCIS, no more name check expedite except Judge's Order. So everyone has to fight your way out like Comfused. Don't be scared, you will get what deserved.

For ICU Doc (same my case)

:eek: :eek: your case is very much same to my case . I came to USA in 2000 and did
the all papers and fingerprint in 2001. In 2003, I sent my I-751 to USCIS.

after that no response up to 2005. And then I did applied for N-400 in Feb

2005, also no response up to Nov 2006 since in July of 2005 that I passed
the interview. Anyway I didn't get any response except I went to CIS

office asked them.Up to today my passport I-551 sign is I-751 & N-400

pending. now I did a lawsuit ( pro se), In 1-7-2007 it was the due time
but AUSA called me that they made a extention time of 2 months, I said
yes.
Now I have to wait after 2 months that will get finish of the case.

Jul 2000 B1
2001 130&485 family base
2002 interview and got Tem GC
Nov 2003 sent I -751
Feb 2005 sent N-400
Jul 2005 passed interview and pending NC
Nov 2006 sue by pro se
Jan 5 2007 got a call from AUSA , extention 2 months

end of the tunnel

After I tried today again unsuccessfully to call my AUSA, I received finally the following e-mail from him:

"I understand that your N-400 application was adjudicated and approved on
January 9, 2007. Did you receive notice etc. directly from DHS/CIS? I
can get my hands on a copy if you have not received it by now. Can we
agree to dismiss the complaint? If not, let's discuss some alternative
to my responding and kicking the litigative process into gear. Thanks,"

I still can't believe... The problem is that the deadline for Defendants to file something (after the 30 day extension) is Thursday, Jan. 25. The other suspicious thing is how is it possible that I didn't receive anything from USCIS, although according to this e-mail, an approval was made on Jan. 9.

I will need to be careful with the wording of the Joint Stipulation to Dismiss. But first of all, I need to really see that copy of the approval notice...

Good for you! Must be ture, maybe your approval letter is in the mail. Get the copy from your AUSA, call them to confirm. If it's true, Congratulations!!!

paz1960 said:
After I tried today again unsuccessfully to call my AUSA, I received finally the following e-mail from him:

"I understand that your N-400 application was adjudicated and approved on
January 9, 2007. Did you receive notice etc. directly from DHS/CIS? I
can get my hands on a copy if you have not received it by now. Can we
agree to dismiss the complaint? If not, let's discuss some alternative
to my responding and kicking the litigative process into gear. Thanks,"

I still can't believe... The problem is that the deadline for Defendants to file something (after the 30 day extension) is Thursday, Jan. 25. The other suspicious thing is how is it possible that I didn't receive anything from USCIS, although according to this e-mail, an approval was made on Jan. 9.

I will need to be careful with the wording of the Joint Stipulation to Dismiss. But first of all, I need to really see that copy of the approval notice...

annat said:
PD I400: 04/11/05

FP : 05/26/05

Intr: 08/04/05

1st lt-r after a call to USCIA : 10/26/05

2nd lt-r: 01/31/06

Call to IC 07/18/06

INFOPASS appt: 07/20/06

Case Filed in Seattle 09/12/06

US Attny served 09/13/06

Outside of State Defendants Served 09/18/06

Filed Return Service 09/19/06

Notice of Appearance 09/19/06

Show Cause order by Judge 09/26/06

2nd FP 10/17/06

Response To Order to Show Case AUSA saying case should be dismissed

10/26/06

Filed Objections 10/30/06

Order Staying Case by Judge 11/06/06

Phone conversation with Attny 01/03/07

Joint Status Report 01/04/07

Phone call from attny saying that Name Check is complete 01/19/07

Stipulation and order 01/22/07

Oath ceremony: ?

To this forum and ppl that provided so much info and expesially Paz1960 who helped me a lot with Objections and strategy. Thank you very much!!

Stats: CIS requested to expedite my case on 10.18.06 and I rec-ed a call from Attny that it's done on 01/19/07. It took them 3 m to do the expedited request.

General thoughts: If you are not sure file or not file the case, I'd suggest file, make sure you follow all the necessary instructions, it's a better than just sit and wait without even giving an effort to change something.

The hardest part I hope is done and in stipulation and order it sad that CIS should complete the process with in 30 days. Whatever happens next I'm glad I found this forum, filed the claim.

Thank you to all, I'll keep you posted on a final Oath date.
Hello annat, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! I learned a lot helping you with the Opposition to Defendants' Motion. Looks that I will not need that now, but I certainly will pass on that knowledge to other members of this forum who may need it.